Personal days

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Odd that you'd see it that way, because Express workgroups tend to disagree. They tend to see managers who treat the jackarses who walk all over them with the same respect that they treat employees who work by the book as poor managers. A common theme is that they feel that the manager is too scared to do anything about the guy who misuses his sick days and so on, and that they feel that continuing to play by the book will hurt them because the "bad guys" will somehow manipulate, deviate, or subvert people/situations/policies for their own benefit. Seeing it happen over and over only serves to reinforce that perception and it eventually leads to a belief that the manager doesn't matter and it gets worse from there.

If you've never worked for someone who didn't establish and enforce boundaries about what is and isn't acceptable then you should consider yourself lucky.

Some of those benefits are at the discretion of operational needs. As far as your reliance on the "higher standard," in the real world you don't get to be a slacker/malcontent and then complain that your manager isn't giving you the same discretion that he gives to a normal human.
"Operational Needs" to a manager is like opium to an addict. It's going to be abused by the weak. It's the frosting that covers the mistakes. Your denial doesn't change that fact.

dezguy

So you're saying that a manager shouldn't be held to a higher standard and should resort to "getting even" rather than leading by example. Good to know.

Oldfart

So you're saying that a manager shouldn't be held to a higher standard and should resort to "getting even" rather than leading by example. Good to know.
I believe other employees would rather see a deadbeat employee get the short end of the stick when it comes to days off. People that have attendance or other issues deserve to get the shaft when it comes down to discretionary issues. They continue to play games at the expense of their coworkers, they should expect a certain amount of payback. Managers don't get mad, they get even.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Odd that you'd see it that way, because Express workgroups tend to disagree. They tend to see managers who treat the jackarses who walk all over them with the same respect that they treat employees who work by the book as poor managers. A common theme is that they feel that the manager is too scared to do anything about the guy who misuses his sick days and so on, and that they feel that continuing to play by the book will hurt them because the "bad guys" will somehow manipulate, deviate, or subvert people/situations/policies for their own benefit. Seeing it happen over and over only serves to reinforce that perception and it eventually leads to a belief that the manager doesn't matter and it gets worse from there.

If you've never worked for someone who didn't establish and enforce boundaries about what is and isn't acceptable then you should consider yourself lucky.

Some of those benefits are at the discretion of operational needs. As far as your reliance on the "higher standard," in the real world you don't get to be a slacker/malcontent and then complain that your manager isn't giving you the same discretion that he gives to a normal human.
Oh wow. You’re breaking my heart.
And you really expect us to believe that you left FedEx for another job? I ain’t buying it.

dezguy

I believe other employees would rather see a deadbeat employee get the short end of the stick when it comes to days off. People that have attendance or other issues deserve to get the shaft when it comes down to discretionary issues. They continue to play games at the expense of their coworkers, they should expect a certain amount of payback. Managers don't get mad, they get even.
As someone who doesn't care whether their coworkers are able to put food on their table or have to work another job to make ends meet, I would have though you wouldn't care about your coworkers actions well.

Interesting, you would care about something that ultimately doesn't even effect you.

Oldfart

As someone who doesn't care whether their coworkers are able to put food on their table or have to work another job to make ends meet, I would have though you wouldn't care about your coworkers actions well.

Interesting, you would care about something that ultimately doesn't even effect you.

When others attendance issues make my job harder, I care. Dont be late to the belt and make me pull my freight and yours. If others issues dont affect me, I do not care

dezguy

When others attendance issues make my job harder, I care. Dont be late to the belt and make me pull my freight and yours. If others issues dont affect me, I do not care
Sounds like you're making your job harder. If someone isn't in position, their :censored2: goes to the end of the belt and they can deal with it.

Oldfart

Sounds like you're making your job harder. If someone isn't in position, their :censored2: goes to the end of the belt and they can deal with it.
have
Not the way it is at my station but I dont I dont have to.worry about it since I dont work the sort anymore.

Our managers want us to slow down the reruns if possible

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
"Operational Needs" to a manager is like opium to an addict. It's going to be abused by the weak. It's the frosting that covers the mistakes. Your denial doesn't change that fact.

Nah. It's an avenue to use in certain situations, like when an employee who lied about being sick to get some paid days off wants another bite at the apple. Like I said, he can go to HR, who is inclined to see that he gets those days.

59 Dano

I said nothing of the sort. Maybe you like being walked on and want your manager to be walked on, too. Others don't. That said, he's using the discretion granted to him right there in the People Manual.

59 Dano

Oh wow. You’re breaking my heart.
And you really expect us to believe that you left FedEx for another job? I ain’t buying it.

Because I worked at FedEx for a long time and learned a lot about it, I couldn't have left. Might go back after the buyouts, though. Depends.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It never fails to amaze me that 'management' is piqued and resentful when any employee utilizes the PTO benefits granted him by the Company, and labels it "abuse".

Get off your high horse.

59 Dano

You mean you'd resort to "getting even" rather than leading by example? You'd leave freight on the belt as some sort of petty reprisal? You'd let it accumulate at the end of the belt because of some...[insert dramatic pause] vendetta?

59 Dano

It never fails to amaze me that 'management' is piqued and resentful when any employee utilizes the PTO benefits granted him by the Company, and labels it "abuse".

Get off your high horse.
What would you call it when someone uses a sick day for a reason other than its stated purpose?

dezguy

You mean you'd resort to "getting even" rather than leading by example? You'd leave freight on the belt as some sort of petty reprisal? You'd let it accumulate at the end of the belt because of some...[insert dramatic pause] vendetta?
Not at all. I have my own work to do.

If another employee asks me to cover them while they go take a dump, etc, it's no problem. Fail to show up for your shift and it's going down the belt. I'm not pulling my 4 trucks and their 4 trucks because they can't get to work on time.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Not at all. I have my own work to do.

If another employee asks me to cover them while they go take a dump, etc, it's no problem. Fail to show up for your shift and it's going down the belt. I'm not pulling my 4 trucks and their 4 trucks because they can't get to work on time.
Yep. That’s a management problem, especially if it’s the same people not showing up.