Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Slacker45

1st. NE supplement.

2nd. This virus can survive on cardboard for up to 24 hours. I realize doctors/nurses need supplies more than us but when I'm delivering Clorox wipes and my center won't even provide them I get pissed. I have my own supply of disinfectants and PPE but the company should at least try to supply us. I'm almost out of hand sanitizer maybe one more week.

A few questions, I know In my last center (bigger than the one I'm in now) we were supplied gloves as inside workers if requested dont know what's happening there now. I will go to my steward later but I'm newish and dont want to seem like a crazy person. I'm going to reread the contract later but I figured I'd post this now because I have a lot of concearns considering no preloaders at my current center have or use any gloves... or any PPE for that matter...

3rd. Gloves, and I mean disposable medical gloves. Nobody in my center has them, nobody uses them. I could get sick just from my preloader let alone the 100 other people who touched the box. Is the company required to supply us with disposable gloves. The ones during winter are more harm than good because I cant throw them out after I go deliver at a hospital and will bring it home, same for preloaders.

4th. Disinfectant wipes. I have these also but they really work best on already cleaned surfaces, my cab hasn't been washed in months. Can I take time to clean my own cab with water/soap at end of day at least to make disinfecting easier and actually work. Can we request wipes as well?

5th. Masks. I see some drivers using makeshift masks. These are mostly seniority drivers who can get away with a lot. Are these allowed (basically any mouth/nose covering like a bandana). Can I wear medical masks if I have some. I doubt this due to lack of supply/need for hospitals but should the company supply us with some.

6th. Hand sanitizer. Also low in supply but drivers especially need something. I think I have 3 reststops on my route and they say wash your hands... how...

7th. If these supplies aren't currently required then what the friend is the union going to do about it because I haven't heard a word. The union "fought" for 2 weeks sick pay but you need to be diagnosed with covid-19... good luck getting a test. That's something but if the union cant even supply PPE then its piss poor and this is coming from some1 who loves the union but has seen no action during a global pandemic.

GIVE ME AND MY PRELOADER SOME GLOVES, WIPES, AND SOAP

deeztier

UPS driver wearing bandana, hood says he was just keeping warm

Screenshot_20200319-212243~2.png

I need protective gear against fellow employees...
Today, one of our pkg. Car Drivers felt like crap. He told another driver he wasn't feeling good and it got back to one of our USPS here at the Center. The Sup called the Driver at 3:00 and asked how he was feeling. Driver's response: I feel like crap and don't think I can finish my route. Sup's response: Sure you can!
At 9:45 the driver gets back to the center, last one back...brings me an exception and after handling it he says, Be forewarned, I feel terrible. I asked him to clarify how he was feeling...High fever, he had sweat through his tshirt and work shirt and said that he'd been dry hacking all day.
Great! Now I'm holding a pkg that he's handled how many times during the day???
What's wrong with that Sup that he doesn't pull him off the Rd and send him to be tested!!! What's wrong with this driver who won6stand up for himself and be basically bullied into staying the course and if he does indeed have the virus, how many people has he potentially affected besides myself, other drivers and customers???

Slacker45

Report it and self quarantine. Collect the 2 weeks pay. If your steward says no call your doctor and tell them you think you came in contact with some1 who was sick and ask him what you should do. If he says self isolate ask him to provide ups with documentation.

Last edited:

Slacker45

I need protective gear against fellow employees...
Today, one of our pkg. Car Drivers felt like crap. He told another driver he wasn't feeling good and it got back to one of our USPS here at the Center. The Sup called the Driver at 3:00 and asked how he was feeling. Driver's response: I feel like crap and don't think I can finish my route. Sup's response: Sure you can!
At 9:45 the driver gets back to the center, last one back...brings me an exception and after handling it he says, Be forewarned, I feel terrible. I asked him to clarify how he was feeling...High fever, he had sweat through his tshirt and work shirt and said that he'd been dry hacking all day.
Great! Now I'm holding a pkg that he's handled how many times during the day???
What's wrong with that Sup that he doesn't pull him off the Rd and send him to be tested!!! What's wrong with this driver who won6stand up for himself and be basically bullied into staying the course and if he does indeed have the virus, how many people has he potentially affected besides myself, other drivers and customers???
What the hell would the point of gloves be? You can't catch the virus through your skin.

FFS people are so worked up over this thing
Why do doctors wear gloves then?

Virus can enter cuts on hand no matter how small, I have a few small cuts on some of my fingers.

Creates an incentive to not touch face further spreading infection, and if person is infected reducing virus load on their hands.

Disposable gloves can be taken off throughout the day reducing virus load.

And this thing is a global pandemic that causes hospitalizations in ages 20-44 in 20% of cases, which can last longer than 2 weeks. Would you like to pay for my missed work over two weeks or a box of gloves for this "thing"

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Why do doctors wear gloves then?

Virus can enter cuts on hand no matter how small, I have a few small cuts on some of my fingers.

Creates an incentive to not touch face further spreading infection, and if person is infected reducing virus load on their hands.

Disposable gloves can be taken off throughout the day reducing virus load.

And this thing is a global pandemic that causes hospitalizations in ages 20-44 in 20% of cases, which can last longer than 2 weeks. Would you like to pay for my missed work over two weeks or a box of gloves for this "thing"
Forget gloves they need to get you a fire extinguisher because your hair is on fire.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
1st. NE supplement.

2nd. This virus can survive on cardboard for up to 24 hours. I realize doctors/nurses need supplies more than us but when I'm delivering Clorox wipes and my center won't even provide them I get pissed. I have my own supply of disinfectants and PPE but the company should at least try to supply us. I'm almost out of hand sanitizer maybe one more week.

A few questions, I know In my last center (bigger than the one I'm in now) we were supplied gloves as inside workers if requested dont know what's happening there now. I will go to my steward later but I'm newish and dont want to seem like a crazy person. I'm going to reread the contract later but I figured I'd post this now because I have a lot of concearns considering no preloaders at my current center have or use any gloves... or any PPE for that matter...

3rd. Gloves, and I mean disposable medical gloves. Nobody in my center has them, nobody uses them. I could get sick just from my preloader let alone the 100 other people who touched the box. Is the company required to supply us with disposable gloves. The ones during winter are more harm than good because I cant throw them out after I go deliver at a hospital and will bring it home, same for preloaders.

4th. Disinfectant wipes. I have these also but they really work best on already cleaned surfaces, my cab hasn't been washed in months. Can I take time to clean my own cab with water/soap at end of day at least to make disinfecting easier and actually work. Can we request wipes as well?

5th. Masks. I see some drivers using makeshift masks. These are mostly seniority drivers who can get away with a lot. Are these allowed (basically any mouth/nose covering like a bandana). Can I wear medical masks if I have some. I doubt this due to lack of supply/need for hospitals but should the company supply us with some.

6th. Hand sanitizer. Also low in supply but drivers especially need something. I think I have 3 reststops on my route and they say wash your hands... how...

7th. If these supplies aren't currently required then what the friend is the union going to do about it because I haven't heard a word. The union "fought" for 2 weeks sick pay but you need to be diagnosed with covid-19... good luck getting a test. That's something but if the union cant even supply PPE then its piss poor and this is coming from some1 who loves the union but has seen no action during a global pandemic.

GIVE ME AND MY PRELOADER SOME GLOVES, WIPES, AND SOAP

I feel you anger on some of it. I found where the office workers and clerks had stashed lysol and gloves. I made sure that myself and my fellow drivers could share in that wealth. People are nuts right now. Have you tried asking the porter if they have some lysol you could at least spray your cab down with or some bleach? It ain't much but it's better than nothing.