Pick your battles or raise hell?

scisector9

I was just curious if most of you on here pick your battles with contract violations and management actions or do you raise hell and call them out on everything?

I ask because I am one of the more senior ft cover drivers and sometimes I won't get a route I bid for the week because I know more routes then most of our cover guys. We have a lot of newer drivers. We street between 45-50 routes on average and at 15 months full time I have seniority on 13 drivers and two going for book now. I usually don't make a stink about it as I understand that there are only so many supes available to train new areas etc. On the other hand there are cover guys below me that push the issue on this and raise hell all the time sometimes just to make noise I think.

What's the better tactic? It seems to me my management team tries to be fair or help me out when I need it but the other squeaky wheels get dicked around just as much.

aiian

Raise hell man.

Of all those routes that you know how many were you actually 'trained' on?

I'm betting not many.

PT Car Washer

At 15 months being a rooky driver you really need to pick your battles. I don't care how great you think you are right now, but down the road you will screw something up and you will need those Center Managers favors.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
First 5 to 10 years pick your battles wisely and stay off the radar and don't be a hardazz 24-7, not worth it. Once you get past that stage it seems they don't screw with ya as much because now they got new meat to go after. I guess they figure you made it past the 10 years of constant mind games and your still there, you pass the mental strength test lol.

WESLA

It is what it is
First 5 to 10 years pick your battles wisely and stay off the radar and don't be a hardazz 24-7, not worth it. Once you get past that stage it seems they don't screw with ya as much because now they got new meat to go after. I guess they figure you made it past the 10 years of constant mind games and your still there, you pass the mental strength test lol.
I'm in that 5-10 year range. I don't sway from the obvious violations. There is some give and take. I don't stay on the radar, but I absolutely don't have the mindset to try and stay off the radar. I guess that's cause I stand for something... Not insinuating you don't.

MethodsMan

I was just curious if most of you on here pick your battles with contract violations and management actions or do you raise hell and call them out on everything?

I ask because I am one of the more senior ft cover drivers and sometimes I won't get a route I bid for the week because I know more routes then most of our cover guys. We have a lot of newer drivers. We street between 45-50 routes on average and at 15 months full time I have seniority on 13 drivers and two going for book now. I usually don't make a stink about it as I understand that there are only so many supes available to train new areas etc. On the other hand there are cover guys below me that push the issue on this and raise hell all the time sometimes just to make noise I think.

What's the better tactic? It seems to me my management team tries to be fair or help me out when I need it but the other squeaky wheels get dicked around just as much.

Supervisors training on routes? That hardly ever happens here. Sink or swim.

Ron Carey lives on

First of all, you do have language to fight. If you are a Coverage driver you have bidding rights. If you are a Utility driver, you work as directed. A vacation list of drivers shall be listed on thurs of the week before their vacation. Sign a bid. Its in the Central

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years
It always depended on what kind of a mood I was in. Sometimes it was easier to just roll with the flow if it was trivial but other times I enjoyed starting a good fight. Monday was not a good day to screw with the troops. Everyone came to work with an attitude to begin with.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

If it was pre-seniority drivers trying to qualify, I would let them run the "easier" route to help them out. If it was just newer qualified drivers, let the take what is left by seniority. Hell, with ORION, UPS says we don't have to have "area" knowledge. ORION supposedly does all this for you.

I know we are all here to make money and have to look out for ourselves, but the people who say "screw everyone else" are the real problem. I will try and look out for the other guy, but to a point. I would help the new guys make book, but the other guys are on their own. They are already qualified, so let them learn a couple more routes, the hard way, like most of us did.

If someone had legitimate plans or something, and they knew the route I was covering and not the other one, I would help them out and swap. Just don't make it a daily occurrence!

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I spent 12 years as the senior cover driver. I knew every route inside and out. Most days I had pick of whatever route I wanted to run. Some weeks I would run 5 different routes. Through it all, management would always ask me what I wanted to do but then there were times that they would come to me and ask a favor. It all worked out in the end.
Now? I have had a bid route for about 4 months. I have actually run that route a couple of dozen times. Maybe.
It seems that management still views me as a cover driver. It is easier for them to throw me at a route than someone that is or should learn it. Be assured that I remind them of that fact every time that I am approached about running a different route than my own.
I could grieve it. They just cannot assume that I will come off my route to run another. However I must consider the fact that I have work. So what if it is not my bid route. I have something to do. Right?
You have something to do. Even though it may not be the route that you bid for the week it is something you know. You stated so yourself.
There will come a time, after less senior drivers learn more routes, that your seniority will come into play and you can use it to your advantage.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

What's the better tactic? It seems to me my management team tries to be fair or help me out when I need it.

You asked a question, and answered it. :biggrin:

At 15 months being a rookie driver you really need to pick your battles. I don't care how great you think you are right now, but down the road you will screw something up and you will need those Center Managers favors.

Something to think about.

First of all, you do have language to fight. If you are a Coverage driver you have bidding rights. If you are a Utility driver, you work as directed. A vacation list of drivers shall be listed on thurs of the week before their vacation. Sign a bid. Its in the Central

Did he state where he was at ?

And, it's friday.... the list is posted.

And, a driver (coverage) has to be in the top 10%

File, File, File

Then lay down on routes when they violate your seniority.

That's a quick way out the door.

If it was pre-seniority drivers trying to qualify, I would let them run the "easier" route to help them out.

How is a pre-seniority driver trying to qualify.... by running other routes ?

I will try and look out for the other guy, but to a point.They are already qualified, so let them learn a couple more routes, the hard way, like most of us did.

Doesn't everyone do that ?

-Bug-

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You can't call them out on everything...one of the.most important things about working for Brown is learning to pick your battles wisely. At the same time....you can't turn a blind eye to everything. Hourlies who act like consistent ball slurpers and bad mouth other hourlies to management and work off the clock....go find some self respect.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You have to stand up for yourself and be consistent. When I was a cover guy, management knew that I would work with them on a lot of things, but not to mess with my income.

Don't try to send me home, even if it's a holiday. I'm here to work.

Don't tell me you don't have a route for me. Not my problem--where's the broom? I'll sweep the floors. Oh, you found a route for me? Thought so.