Please help me with a school project I want to be a UPS driver

Bsprink

I am a highschool student my name is William. When I graduate school I want to get my class A CDL and do this amazing job you guys do.

For my school project we have to figure out what are our dream jobs and the future prospects for that job and room for advancement etc...

My teacher has spoken to me directly and basically said that truckers are 100% going to be obsolete within the next few years due to companies like TU simple , waymo and embark.

This now has me extremely concerned about my future. I have nothing else that actually interest me I do not want to a be a programmer or push paper for 8 hours a day.

So as of now I'm 17 years old is my teacher and parents right or will I be able to actually retire from trucking without being displaced by technology?

I have been following the subject closely and the technology is crazy from what I understand they have level 4 self driving capabilities.

542thruNthru

You tell your teacher I said..
ZYZD.gif

Box Ox

I made twice what a teacher does, so much for that college degree.
Do you see that continuing for UPS drivers for the next 35-40 years?

When I graduate school I want to get my class A CDL and do this amazing job you guys do.
UPS should be an option to consider but not before any practical education you might be able to get. A college STEM degree or learning a trade via community college/apprenticeship that's in high demand and pays well, etc. Plenty of those that don't sit behind a desk all day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I am a highschool student my name is William. When I graduate school I want to get my class A CDL and do this amazing job you guys do.

For my school project we have to figure out what are our dream jobs and the future prospects for that job and room for advancement etc...

My teacher has spoken to me directly and basically said that truckers are 100% going to be obsolete within the next few years due to companies like TU simple , waymo and embark.

This now has me extremely concerned about my future. I have nothing else that actually interest me I do not want to a be a programmer or push paper for 8 hours a day.

So as of now I'm 17 years old is my teacher and parents right or will I be able to actually retire from trucking without being displaced by technology?

I have been following the subject closely and the technology is crazy from what I understand they have level 4 self driving capabilities.
Heavy machinery operator

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

They've been talking about this stuff for a very long time. Most of these projections are based on the belief that Moore's law would continue indefinitely. We are hitting the limits of what is physically possible in hardware. Just ask about the roll out of the 3rd generation of our routing software. It's been a complete failure. There is some promise with quantum computing, but trucking and delivering isn't going anywhere any time soon. Whether things will continue as is at UPS into the foreseeable future is another issue.

rickyb

i would go into healthcare. im doing chemistry now, its mostly flash cards. biology was all flash cards. physics was watching youtube videos and then doing homework. i wasnt good at any of these in high school.

or a trade. i like union jobs but thats usually not good enough youre still going to get screwed over by bosses.

i worked on a railway and theres not that many to choose from locally. i dont recommend it although there was one really good local job here.

i thought about computers too but tech is always changing and im too lazy to change with it.

rickyb

They've been talking about this stuff for a very long time. Most of these projections are based on the belief that Moore's law would continue indefinitely. We are hitting the limits of what is physically possible in hardware. Just ask about the roll out of the 3rd generation of our routing software. It's been a complete failure. There is some promise with quantum computing, but trucking and delivering isn't going anywhere any time soon. Whether things will continue as is at UPS into the foreseeable future is another issue.
yea self driving cars has been over hyped

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger

Hahaha they said that to me 10 years ago when I was in high school.
Now I probably make more than your teacher lmfao. I’m 26.
And no debt whatsoever.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
With the current rate of technology do you see people like you and I being able to retire here?
Yeah I believe so. If not then...I’ll find another job. Lol. Teachers always assume if you lose your job you can’t find another one. And they think if you work with your hands your garbage. I have no idea why.