Please help me with a school project I want to be a UPS driver

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I hope for what the plumber charged he just replaced everything in there.
You can replace everything in a toilet for under $20, easy to do in about an hour. The only time I ever hired a plumber was when I replaced a bathtub at my old house. I had to move some copper pipe around and I didn't want to chance a leak after replacing sheetrock. That cost me $500 for about 45 minutes of work. Plumbers and electricians are skilled trades always in demand.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
You can replace everything in a toilet for under $20, easy to do in about an hour. The only time I ever hired a plumber was when I replaced a bathtub at my old house. I had to move some copper pipe around and I didn't want to chance a leak after replacing sheetrock. That cost me $500 for about 45 minutes of work. Plumbers and electricians are skilled trades always in demand.
Here in Cali the union trades pay really well too. Been working on getting into an IBEW apprenticeship and leaving UPS but COVID has thrown a wrench in the plan so far. If I get the call, I’m outta here though. Kinda scary move to make but no guts, no glory.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
@Bsprink , you could do a paper on how technology will wipe out the education department some day , that'll freak him or her out , or in today's confused liberal teaching dept He- she ,, if not UPS , become an electrician,,,

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Lol because you think Amazon drones will replace package cars or lol because you're in denial of tractor-trailer runs becoming obsolete?
If you are not a feeder driver you have no idea. It theoretically could work. Just like Orion could work. It is all fantasy right now. It would take massive infrastructure changes. Dedicated lanes. And the technology is still in its infancy.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
If you are not a feeder driver you have no idea. It theoretically could work. Just like Orion could work. It is all fantasy right now. It would take massive infrastructure changes. Dedicated lanes. And the technology is still in its infancy.
Anyone under 50 will see it in their lifetime.

silenze

Anyone under 50 will see it in their lifetime.
Look at the railroad. Exactly the same thing. But it is too slow. Our on time network won't allow it. Automated trucks are so limited in use they would serve no purpose. They will never work unless they are isolated from non automated passenger vehicle traffic. The government does not have the money to fund that.

sailfish

Look at the railroad. Exactly the same thing.
Trucks are much lower volume and have more targeted dispatching.

Our on time network won't allow it.
I don't know what that is.

Automated trucks are so limited in use they would serve no purpose.
In the current year, yes. But planning a career taking only the current year into account is unwise.

They will never work unless they are isolated from non automated passenger vehicle traffic.
The technology will come. There are already luxury cars being released with "autopilot".

sailfish

If I turned on my adaptive cruise control and active lane assist the car practically drives itself and it wasn't even made for that. Cars that can park themselves have already been around for quite some time too.

Bsprink

If I turned on my adaptive cruise control and active lane assist the car practically drives itself and it wasn't even made for that. Cars that can park themselves have already been around for quite some time too.
I'm seriously hoping the government regulates self driving trucks so it doesn't put millions of people out of work.

sailfish

I'm seriously hoping the government regulates self driving trucks so it doesn't put millions of people out of work.
As technology changes so do jobs. Some jobs disappear but brand new ones take their place. It will also be a very gradual shift.

silenze

Trucks are much lower volume and have more targeted dispatching.

I don't know what that is.

In the current year, yes. But planning a career taking only the current year into account is unwise.

The technology will come. There are already luxury cars being released with "autopilot".
There is no time allowance for errors. If it doesn't work for package car it sure as hell wont work for a feeder truck with a 53' trailer. I dont know of 1 run that could be eliminated or 1 ups location that an automated truck could work at.