Please help me with a school project I want to be a UPS driver

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
There is no time allowance for errors. If it doesn't work for package car it sure as hell wont work for a feeder truck with a 53' trailer. I dont know of 1 run that could be eliminated or 1 ups location that an automated truck could work at.
With currently technology as it is or with what will inevitably come?

Mostly low-paying, hateful jobs it seems.
Better, technologically driven jobs.

Whither

Scofflaw
I was working on getting into one with the IBEW earlier this year but this whole covid situation screwed it all up. I will be attempting again in the spring.

My wife's in the IBEW. "Better, technologically-driven" union jobs are the exception that proves the rule.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Face it. :censored2:ty Point A-Point B driving jobs are going to disappear eventually. And sooner than later.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My wife's in the IBEW. "Better, technologically-driven" union jobs are the exception that proves the rule.
I really wonder how long before people start pushing back on IBEW pay.

You think people have any idea the guys working on their lines make 200k+ or the lady answering the phones makes 60k with a pension and bennies?

muthatrucka

I am a highschool student my name is William. When I graduate school I want to get my class A CDL and do this amazing job you guys do.

For my school project we have to figure out what are our dream jobs and the future prospects for that job and room for advancement etc...

My teacher has spoken to me directly and basically said that truckers are 100% going to be obsolete within the next few years due to companies like TU simple , waymo and embark.

This now has me extremely concerned about my future. I have nothing else that actually interest me I do not want to a be a programmer or push paper for 8 hours a day.

So as of now I'm 17 years old is my teacher and parents right or will I be able to actually retire from trucking without being displaced by technology?

I have been following the subject closely and the technology is crazy from what I understand they have level 4 self driving capabilities.
It should be short and sweet bc if you’re gonna be a UPS driver you won’t have time for this type of crap again. No fishing, hunting,golfing, early football games, holidays with the family. Nothing! BC as we like to say, you ain’t got no seniority!!!!!

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
I really wonder how long before people start pushing back on IBEW pay.

You think people have any idea the guys working on their lines make 200k+ or the lady answering the phones makes 60k with a pension and bennies?
Yes. We should be lowering pay, and by extension safety regulations and industry standards.

What can possibly go wrong?

61EB8B69-F206-49E5-AF73-C7A61F0BDCCD.gif

rustys954rr

Honestly if it were me I'd get a part time job at UPS after high school and take some classes at your local trade school. Ups will pay tuition assistance, you can learn a trade, build seniority, and sign a bid to drive at 21. Plus you'd have a 2 year degree, keep the parents happy and something have to fall back on.

Whither

Scofflaw
Sure thing, hoss.

It's okay babe. I know you don't even hear it, but you're just echoing the 'common sense' of capital. If I have little love for the grind, I have even less for 'progress' that makes us peons redundant ... and therefore all the more dependent on table scraps.