PM part time Courier

planb0823

hey guys i'm new here a bit about me i been working for fedex express for 2 years started fresh out of high school i just turned 21 and was finally able to apply for a courier position....at the hub i work at it is not so bad i could honestly say i love working there i make good money if i work saturday you know gotta get that time and a half =D over 1500 bucks a month if i don't do those LWOPS...

So i applied for a pm part time courier position i'm so excited but don't know what to expect, was wondering if you guys have any tips you could share to help me be successful and go in semi prepared... what does the pm consist of only pick ups and such ? and i am not quite familiar with the area i applied for is that a problem or would i adjust?

my goal is to do this for a year and then apply for a full time position
any tips would be helpful thanks guys

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

no need to run lol i'm actually extremely excited like i said i love my job just looking for tips
Here is one, as a part timer you will likely be Tues through Saturday. So don't count on ot. Also you will be sent home first if no available work. The company is replacing most fulltime positions with part time, so I wouldn't be so excited to go fulltime as that may never happen. We have part timers who thought they would just be able to move into any open fulltime slots to find out that isn't the case. Any fulltime routes are bid on by seniority in station first. Then if no takers the route opens company wide in jcats. Part timers can't simply bid on fulltime routes. You have to be upgraded to fulltime status first. And as many here will tell you , the company simply isn't upgrading many part timers. I would look into getting a part time job with UPS if you want to move up and make some serious$ upwards of $100k for a fulltime package car driver.

planb0823

Here is one, as a part timer you will likely be Tues through Saturday. So don't count on ot. Also you will be sent home first if no available work. The company is replacing most fulltime positions with part time, so I wouldn't be so excited to go fulltime as that may never happen. We have part timers who thought they would just be able to move into any open fulltime slots to find out that isn't the case. Any fulltime routes are bid on by seniority in station first. Then if no takers the route opens company wide in jcats. Part timers can't simply bid on fulltime routes. You have to be upgraded to fulltime status first. And as many here will tell you , the company simply isn't upgrading many part timers. I would look into getting a part time job with UPS if you want to move up and make some serious$ upwards of $100k for a fulltime package car driver.

ya your right i'm a be tuesday -saturday... hopefully i could get some extra hours some how my friends works pms at a different station and gets allowed to go in mondays for the am shift hopefully im that lucky.... ups would be a good move but that means basically starting from the bottom and working my way up to get a good seniority ranking.... my plan was just trying to get out of the hub was getting tired of the graveyard shift and try something new

MAKAVELI

ya your right i'm a be tuesday -saturday... hopefully i could get some extra hours some how my friends works pms at a different station and gets allowed to go in mondays for the am shift hopefully im that lucky.... ups would be a good move but that means basically starting from the bottom and working my way up to get a good seniority ranking.... my plan was just trying to get out of the hub was getting tired of the graveyard shift and try something new
As young as you are the smartest move would be UPS. FedEx is a dead end job with piss poor benefits. UPS has been around for more than 100 years and you are pretty much guaranteed a fulltime position through seniority and if you can handle the workload. They have excellent benefits including union protection , fully paid health ins , and defined pension plan. With the possibility of making $100k within 4 years of becoming fulltime, it is a no brainer for someone as young as yourself. If I was your age , I would do it in a heartbeat.

serco

What is the process to bid on a route? I understand it means you want that route, but what does it entail? When I hear someone bidding on something it usually involves $$.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MAKAVELI

What is the process to bid on a route? I understand it means you want that route, but what does it entail? When I hear someone bidding on something it usually involves $$.

Sent using BrownCafe App
No money involved. Mainly seniority, but it wouldn't surprise me if management started taking money from the couriers in the bidding process.

MAKAVELI

i guess it does entail some money im going from $13.xx to $17.xx
How does $32 an hour sound? That's what UPS drivers make. And at the end of their new contract it will be $36. If you stay at FedEx you might be making $20 in 20 years from now. And I'm not joking.

planb0823

that does sound pretty good honestly i have applied for ups multiple times gone to the orientations and never got a call back... i will keep that in mind though

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
hey guys i'm new here a bit about me i been working for fedex express for 2 years started fresh out of high school i just turned 21 and was finally able to apply for a courier position....at the hub i work at it is not so bad i could honestly say i love working there i make good money if i work saturday you know gotta get that time and a half =D over 1500 bucks a month if i don't do those LWOPS...

So i applied for a pm part time courier position i'm so excited but don't know what to expect, was wondering if you guys have any tips you could share to help me be successful and go in semi prepared... what does the pm consist of only pick ups and such ? and i am not quite familiar with the area i applied for is that a problem or would i adjust?

my goal is to do this for a year and then apply for a full time position
any tips would be helpful thanks guys

What Cactus said. Run away, Forrest!! FedEx Express is a dead-end, and if you're 21, you are plenty young enough to find a real career. No real retirement, forever to get to top wage, and a slave-labor camp management mentality should all be red flags for you.

DontThrowPackages

Sent using BrownCafe App
Ask your manager where do hang the open routes listings. Once you know, keep your eye out and doesn't hurt to ask every manager if something is about to become available. However, chances are you'll be put on a swing rte before anything else. Every swing at this station couldn't wait for a regular route to open up. For them, that extra $1 per hour aint worth the stress.

planb0823

Ask your manager where do hang the open routes listings. Once you know, keep your eye out and doesn't hurt to ask every manager if something is about to become available. However, chances are you'll be put on a swing rte before anything else. Every swing at this station couldn't wait for a regular route to open up. For them, that extra $1 per hour aint worth the stress.
over here they hang the listings in the breakroom or you could check the jcats system every friday a lot of positions have been opening up lately.... thats the only recommendation i got was not to apply for a swing position that its extremely stressful good thing i got a regurlar position