Post 9.5 Arbitration results.

542thruNthru

During the weekend I talking to a driver in a whole other local. (Yes I'm that guy that talks shop to drivers in other areas)

Anyways, we were talking about 9.5. Apparently in his local the first time you go over 9.5 three times in a week the BA will take the grievance but will sit on it till you go over again. This really annoyed me. I could tell it annoyed him as well. So essentially the BA is telling the company that the first time is free.

The driver told me that he did everything he was supposed to do. Communicate with his ORS and the center informing them that he would be over. Never recieved anything back. He feels it's because the company knows the BA will not do anything about it the first time.

I feel this is a result of the arbitration decision that happened last year. My local does not do this. We had a guy paid for going over by 51 min and it was the first time he'd been violated since being on the 9.5 list.

Curious to hear from you guys, especially the shop stewards or elected officials. If this is something your local does now and or how you feel about it.

The driver was pissed. Even brought up filing a DFR on his BA because of it. I didn't get too much into that since I honestly don't know much about it.

Sorry for the long post but thought this would be worth discussing since it may be coming to your local as well.

During the weekend I talking to a driver in a whole other local. (Yes I'm that guy that talks shop to drivers in other areas)

Anyways, we were talking about 9.5. Apparently in his local the first time you go over 9.5 three times in a week the BA will take the grievance but will sit on it till you go over again. This really annoyed me. I could tell it annoyed him as well. So essentially the BA is telling the company that the first time is free.

The driver told me that he did everything he was supposed to do. Communicate with his ORS and the center informing them that he would be over. Never recieved anything back. He feels it's because the company knows the BA will not do anything about it the first time.

I feel this is a result of the arbitration decision that happened last year. My local does not do this. We had a guy paid for going over by 51 min and it was the first time he'd been violated since being on the 9.5 list.

Curious to hear from you guys, especially the shop stewards or elected officials. If this is something your local does now and or how you feel about it.

The driver was pissed. Even brought up filing a DFR on his BA because of it. I didn't get too much into that since I honestly don't know much about it.

Sorry for the long post but thought this would be worth discussing since it may be coming to your local as well.
They have been working hard here to keep the people on the 9.5 list under 9.5 but they have been paying the grievances

Up In Smoke

We had more than $ 40,000.00 in 9.5 grievances paid last year in our barn. Good grievances yield good results. I didn't have a single driver denied his contractual guarantee. That arbitration decision was brought up, but beaten back by our BA.

542thruNthru

We had more than $ 40,000.00 in 9.5 grievances paid last year in our barn. Good grievances yield good results. I didn't have a single driver denied his contractual guarantee. That arbitration decision was brought up, but beaten back by our BA.

I have no idea what our pay out would have been. From what I hear we don't have many 9.5 grievances.

Up In Smoke

Since the hiring spree of 2014, I believe we have handled nearly 3000 grievances for failure to properly staff a facility. Sups working, air driver and 22.3 working out of classification and 9.5 issues.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver

We used the first grievance to be put on the list around here in the past. It was done in the whole supplement that way because the head of the panel agreed to it. So, essentially, we were sitting on the first one as well. We didn't agree but it was the system we had to deal with. This new way that starts with everyone signing a list should be different. We get paid for all our time around here. The only thing I haven't seen is multiple ones going to national panel.

I would like to know if it really works with going to the national panel and if they tell the company that a driver doesn't have to do the OT?

Up In Smoke

We had 22 drivers with more than 3 grievances paid for excessive OT. Have heard no details regarding a National Grievance Panel as of yet.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Only gonna have 20 stops left at 7:30 today.

They did come get my air though so I didn’t have to double trip. Thank you for reducing my OT

Overpaid Union Thug

So far I’ve been paid but not always in a timely manner. That’s always been the case. Our local (480) is piss poor about communicating so unless you keep demanding updates it’s easy to almost forget about a grievance until the manger walks up to you months later with a check.

govols019

You smell that?
So far I’ve been paid but not always in a timely manner. That’s always been the case. Our local (480) is piss poor about communicating so unless you keep demanding updates it’s easy to almost forget about a grievance until the manger walks up to you months later with a check.

It's your grievance...it's your responsibility to ask for updates.....it's not really that hard.

Up In Smoke

Not sure how all locals operate, but at the local level is the last time the grievant has to speak to his/her grievance. Once presented and signed by our BA at the local level, it becomes the local's grievance. If the grievance becomes deadlocked at the local level only the local can arbitrate the final outcome. Of course the local may consult the grievant, but ultimately the local controls the grievance. We always recommend to the members to try and resolve at or b4 the local level.

Over70irregs

Just keep filing and let them stack up. They will get to it eventually. Take picture copies of your forms to help track it better. Also your BA has an email address.

govols019

You smell that?
Our previous regime emailed and mailed results without being asked. Even called with updates occasionally. So did our former BA of the current regime. It’s not really that hard.

Funny...my BA from 480 (I'm pretty sure we have the same one) calls me or will send me a text with updates. Maybe the issue is you.

Why do you call our Local leadership a regime instead of an administration?

Overpaid Union Thug

Funny...my BA from 480 (I'm pretty sure we have the same one) calls me or will send me a text with updates. Maybe the issue is you.

How would I, as a dues paying member, that simply files grievances for contract violations and without making a big fuss about it be “the issue”? He has never updated us on grievances. I usually go through the steward and then they contact the BA. I’ve called or texted on my own but usually to ask for his opinion on certain grievances before filing. The results should be given ASAP. And apparently he believes so as well.....or at at least as far as YOUR grievances are concerned. But not ours. It’s not a big deal but is still puzzling.

We used to get through updates but not since 480 expanded and we lost our former BA. The one before that one (different regime) was awesome.

I’ve been in this center for over twenty years. We’ve had three different BAs. Some were better in some aspects. The current is better in others. But some of the ways he’s handled some of our grievances has been.....suspicious.

Why do you call our Local leadership a regime instead of an administration?

Figure of speech. I’ve even heard it used at meetings by them.