Posted Seniority

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Sure you know it. It was the first day you reported to work at the current building. Trust me...UPS knows it too. I see where you are going with this. You are hoping that you'll be able to use your company seniority because of a technicality. i was hoping for the same thing but eventually the transfer date showed up on the lists. Yours will too.

Oh yeah I guess your right. I remember from 5 years ago. I have no clue what day I reported to work. I know I transferred sometime around August or September of that year 2003.

My point is that I have let multiple people know and haven't heard an answer. Like I said before, I just want a date to use. Be that my company seniority or building seniority. I will fight a date that is made up though, I refuse to do that.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
I don't get why you are arguing this. The day you reported to the new building is your building seniority date. If your trying to "one-up" your fellow union bretheren and leap frog them in seniority by a technicality you won't be a popular guy...........integrity:peaceful:

Integrity First, Service Before Self, Excellence in All we do.

You don't have to tell me about Integrity.

I am not trying to leap frog anyone. I just want the true date I transferred. Now it's been almost two weeks with no answers.

Integrity First, Service Before Self, Excellence in All we do.

You don't have to tell me about Integrity.

I am not trying to leap frog anyone. I just want the true date I transferred. Now it's been almost two weeks with no answers.
I would say you are not likely to get an answer until there is a grievance filled or some other reason it becomes a major issue for management. Your wanting know the answer is not important (to them) at this point in time.

UPS Lifer

I do think that transfers should retain their seniority ("dove tailed") but only after completing a 6 month or year long probation. Yeah it sucks knowing that I would have been full-time before a bunch of the guys ahead of me if my original hire date would have counted. I was thinking that today when one of those guys bumped me off a route I like to run. But that's how things are at UPS and there is nothing I can do about it.

What you are not considering is that this goes both ways. You want your cake and eat it to (so to speak). Seniority is about building time and as you build time to allow some degree of job security. You will not feel the way you do now 20 years from now. UPS has a good system. If you decide to transfer why should you bump someone else out of a position. How did you feel when you got bumped off your route? There is no difference. NOW, if you are FORCED to transfer why should you lose your seniority that you built up? This is where "the dovetail" comes into play.

It is all about being fair and doing the right thing. UPS and I believe the union as well is not big on transferring around.

I know that when I was around for 5 years as a driver, I decided not to transfer because of being the low person on the totem pole! I did not want to run utility again. It discouraged me from making that move. I had to drive an extra hour to work.

As you can see with Joopster's case it is an administration nightmare.

chopstic

I can see where Joopster is going with this. Consider this hypothetical situation;

Joopster bids for a job at his current location and is outbid out by another employee. Joopsters center seniority date is undetermined because it appears UPS didn't keep good enough records. The employee who won the bid has a seniority date in september 03, which is also around the POSSIBLE (but not substantiated) seniority date of Joopster. How does UPS determine who won the bid?

They definitly should not be allowed to just guess a seniority date without proof. Until UPS can substantiate his exact transfer date, the benifit of the doubt should fall to Joopster with his Hire Date.

Overpaid Union Thug

What you are not considering is that this goes both ways. You want your cake and eat it to (so to speak). Seniority is about building time and as you build time to allow some degree of job security. You will not feel the way you do now 20 years from now. UPS has a good system. If you decide to transfer why should you bump someone else out of a position. How did you feel when you got bumped off your route? There is no difference. NOW, if you are FORCED to transfer why should you lose your seniority that you built up? This is where "the dovetail" comes into play.

It is all about being fair and doing the right thing. UPS and I believe the union as well is not big on transferring around.

I know that when I was around for 5 years as a driver, I decided not to transfer because of being the low person on the totem pole! I did not want to run utility again. It discouraged me from making that move. I had to drive an extra hour to work.

As you can see with Joopster's case it is an administration nightmare.

I fail to see how I am "wanting my cake and wanting to eat it too." I feel that seniority within a company should prevail over building seniority. Some other companies do it that way and it is fair. I never said UPS's system isn't good. I simply said I like FedEx's better. For a few years I worked in a factory that had several buildings located in different parts of the city. Their system was similar to FedEx's so people could bid on jobs in any building. It worked well. That type of system isn't common but it seems to work in places that have it. Our way of doing things isn't bad though. It just sucks knowing that I've worked for UPS longer than some of the guys that have more seniority than me. Oh well. I guess either of the two is better than the free for all system that many companies use.

UPS Lifer

Still waiting....

Sorry! I thought what you had to say in your post was more of a comment than a question.

As far as the reference to wanting your cake and eating it ... My feeling is that as your seniority improves with every year you will understand more fully why UPS/union has the transfer policy set up the way it is. If you or any employee decides NOT to transfer and you stay at the same facility and same job (let's assume it is a package driver job) you will want the protection of your building seniority so that you can continue to establish your position of the benefits that building seniority gives you. To name a few - bid rights, vacation picking and a big one LAYOFF.

How would you like to work in a retirement location such as Maui, and folks all over the US continued to transfer in with more seniority than you and you had 20 years and were picking your vacations last and had a chance to be laid off and continued to be stuck in a utility driver position because these new folks who are coming to the island kept getting the good routes?

Is that fair?

Another thing.... If it were company seniority than a person with 30 years could transfer every 6 months be the first in line to pick a vacation and bid on a route and never fear he/she would lose their job. If they didn't like the place they could go to the next operation and do it again and again.

They would be upsetting the apple cart everywhere they went and continue to gain seniority as they do it!!!! I could be wrong but I really think the majority of folks would not like their life turned upside down like that.

Not to confuse the issue but....
If you are in management it works by company seniority. The difference is that management does not get to pick and choose where they will be working and as you know...they get transferred all the time. It also goes by position and operation depending on where you are. I have seen managers with 10 years of company seniority picking vacation over their supervisor who has 20 years of seniority. Promotion has it's privileges.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Sorry! I thought what you had to say in your post was more of a comment than a question.

As far as the reference to wanting your cake and eating it ... My feeling is that as your seniority improves with every year you will understand more fully why UPS/union has the transfer policy set up the way it is. If you or any employee decides NOT to transfer and you stay at the same facility and same job (let's assume it is a package driver job) you will want the protection of your building seniority so that you can continue to establish your position of the benefits that building seniority gives you. To name a few - bid rights, vacation picking and a big one LAYOFF.

How would you like to work in a retirement location such as Maui, and folks all over the US continued to transfer in with more seniority than you and you had 20 years and were picking your vacations last and had a chance to be laid off and continued to be stuck in a utility driver position because these new folks who are coming to the island kept getting the good routes?

Is that fair?

Another thing.... If it were company seniority than a person with 30 years could transfer every 6 months be the first in line to pick a vacation and bid on a route and never fear he/she would lose their job. If they didn't like the place they could go to the next operation and do it again and again.

They would be upsetting the apple cart everywhere they went and continue to gain seniority as they do it!!!! I could be wrong but I really think the majority of folks would not like their life turned upside down like that.

Not to confuse the issue but....
If you are in management it works by company seniority. The difference is that management does not get to pick and choose where they will be working and as you know...they get transferred all the time. It also goes by position and operation depending on where you are. I have seen managers with 10 years of company seniority picking vacation over their supervisor who has 20 years of seniority. Promotion has it's privileges.

I understand why it's this way. My argument is that if they don't have my exact date of transfer, then I will fight it, because it is not necessarily fair to ME either.

That's all.

UPS Lifer

I understand why it's this way. My argument is that if they don't have my exact date of transfer, then I will fight it, because it is not necessarily fair to ME either.

That's all.

On the first page - I stated that UPS has the burden of proof. If you have given them reasonable time to get the info (I think you have), you should file a grievance. Go back and look at my post on the first page.

Good Luck!

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
On the first page - I stated that UPS has the burden of proof. If you have given them reasonable time to get the info (I think you have), you should file a grievance. Go back and look at my post on the first page.

Good Luck!
¡sʞuɐɥʇ .ǝɔuɐʌǝıɹb ɐ ǝ1ıɟ oʇ ǝʌɐɥ 11ıʍ ı ʞuıɥʇ ı ǝs1ǝ ɹo ʎɐpuoɯ 1ıʇun ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌıb 11ıʍ ı