Pre Route Ritual/Routine

Lately, I've spent the first 15 minutes of every day looking for my truck. Asking them does no good; if I ask three managers where my route is being loaded, I'll get three different answers. I can't look for my own truck, I have a different truck every day. A different truck and bouncing back and forth between three different belts, I have no routine.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Lately, I've spent the first 15 minutes of every day looking for my truck. Asking them does no good; if I ask three managers where my route is being loaded, I'll get three different answers. I can't look for my own truck, I have a different truck every day. A different truck and bouncing back and forth between three different belts, I have no routine.

Like being tossed about in a hurricane?

leastbest

LeastBest
I get to work about five minutes early, punch in but don't get EDD until start time. I tune my banjo and look at the sheet music I'm bringing with me to play at lunch and breaks. Once I'm on the clock I carry my banjo and bag of supplies to the vehicle and off I go.

tourists24

Just wait til start time and then wait til all the trucks leave the building until one is left..... this will be your truck

slantnosechevy

I get there 30 min. early and check the start time list and immediately start looking down the belt for guys in their PCs or supes doing hourly work. Then I go harass my center manager about guys working off the clock. I remind him that it is his job to police the belt. "What if someone gets hurt?" Then I get my DIAD, head to locker room , look for guys who've filed grievances and touch base about upcoming hearings, head to PCM ignoring oper.report, and harass center manager about missing drivers at PCM. We have staggered start times(2). Supposed to have 22 drivers at second PCM but only have 10. center manager says everyday that he'll look into it. I think he's having trouble counting to 12 with only 10 fingers.

paidslave

I usually roll in about an hour early and put my lunch in my truck. 9 times out of 10 there`s a deluge of irregs destined for our loop that have not been touched.I ask my preloader if its heavy and he says yes and inevitably run into the preload sup and get permission to go on the clock.After putting on my costume,I get what I need and go through my nda pkgs and count my stops.Which is something my preloader says he hasn`t got time for.On a good day its about 8:15 now so I pull cages till 8:30 then attack the irregs with a fervor that my preloader seems incapable of.Then I pull off as many stops as I have to to stay under 12 hours.If I`m lucky I`m done by the time they call for PCM.I usually end up with about a 10 1/2 to an 11 1/2 hour planned day.
It has not always been this way.inevitably mngmt will transfer our current team to some other center and replace them with Adolph Hitler type manager that we will have to train by not going on the clock till start time regardless of how far behind they are.And taking full break,calling for help,filing grievences,and missing a lot of deliveries. Sorry for the rant,got carried away a bit.

No disrespect but you get there an hour before your starting time to bring your lunch and diad to your truck? There are loaders to do your loading and you are taking away a job for a part timer that is trying to make a living perhaps going to college. You are a driver paid to deliver packages on the street. I will never understand ever getting there an hour before my start time. I have been at UPS for 25 years now and will never get there an hour before unless it is my last day at work! I realize that everyone has there own thing and own opinions on when to show up so please don't feel you are being criticized! This is five hours a week or near 250 hour a year or 5 weeks of time wasted!

peace!

ps: The way I look at going to work is that it is one stop to pick the truck up and go. I have the UPS mentality that it shouldn't take more than a few minutes for a pickup!

over9five

Staff member
I get there about 20 minutes before my start. I like to walk around the building, thru the 4 package centers. I like to stretch my legs between my long ride in and then sitting in a tractor.