Preloaders - what's your second/third job?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when things were slow everything I did was under the table. mowing, shoveling snow, selling stuff on craigslist that I got free from craigslist . child-care was fairly lucrative. you can get 70-100 a day for watching a kid. dog walking you can get 15-20 dollars for a 45 minute walk , ride-sharing for gas money, the opportunities are almost endless for extra income.

barter is good also. you can do the above things in exchange for auto repairs , small home repairs , landscaping , or a hundred other things. when we respond to an ad on craigslist for a free item , we also ask if they have anything else they wanna get rid of like books , magazines , old rusted tools or machines that don't work. Also ask what kind of work do they do. maybe you can exchange services.

A guy gave us a Honda snowblower that worked but the augers did not turn. all it needed was a belt. these snowblowers can go used for anywhere from 800-2000 dollars around here. That guy has some bucks so he gave it to us for free. also gave us a sander, a grinder, and some other tools after we asked him about other stuff.

the same goes for other free stuff on craigslist . people would rather junk something than fix or refurbish. we have gotten free washers and dryers, lawnmowers , lots of furniture that just needs to be sanded down and re-stained , and lots of stuff that just needs a little patience to fix and restore. another great idea is go to a garage sale at the end of day. people will sometimes give you the leftovers for free rather than a trip to the dump or goodwill. after awhile you learn what is worth taking and reselling on craigslist or ebay.

this is just a hobby for us but it is so much fun. usually it's only a couple hundred a month but it can be much more depending on the time we put in. our best month was 7000 dollars but that was very unusual. we could easily make 1000-2000 extra a month if we really worked at it but it is mainly for fun and travel money.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
when things were slow everything I did was under the table. mowing, shoveling snow, selling stuff on craigslist that I got free from craigslist . child-care was fairly lucrative. you can get 70-100 a day for watching a kid. dog walking you can get 15-20 dollars for a 45 minute walk , ride-sharing for gas money, the opportunities are almost endless for extra income.

barter is good also. you can do the above things in exchange for auto repairs , small home repairs , landscaping , or a hundred other things. when we respond to an ad on craigslist for a free item , we also ask if they have anything else they wanna get rid of like books , magazines , old rusted tools or machines that don't work. Also ask what kind of work do they do. maybe you can exchange services.

A guy gave us a Honda snowblower that worked but the augers did not turn. all it needed was a belt. these snowblowers can go used for anywhere from 800-2000 dollars around here. That guy has some bucks so he gave it to us for free. also gave us a sander, a grinder, and some other tools after we asked him about other stuff.

the same goes for other free stuff on craigslist . people would rather junk something than fix or refurbish. we have gotten free washers and dryers, lawnmowers , lots of furniture that just needs to be sanded down and re-stained , and lots of stuff that just needs a little patience to fix and restore. another great idea is go to a garage sale at the end of day. people will sometimes give you the leftovers for free rather than a trip to the dump or goodwill. after awhile you learn what is worth taking and reselling on craigslist or ebay.

this is just a hobby for us but it is so much fun. usually it's only a couple hundred a month but it can be much more depending on the time we put in. our best month was 7000 dollars but that was very unusual. we could easily make 1000-2000 extra a month if we really worked at it but it is mainly for fun and travel money.

Barter you say? Gimme a call I'll see what we can workout

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Bologna.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you paid any attention to the old stripper, you would know what I am talking about.

Her whole life here is a lie, and not even a good one.
Her whole online life is at least.

Either that or the most interesting man in the world has found his female match.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You can definitely make money selling in online but it's a commitment. Can definitely be a PITA though. lol
It can be a pain sometimes with craigslist. You may get 5-6 replies to an ad and maybe one person will come look at what you have and then lowball you. But eventually we sell most things. It's free advertising and it does take some time. It does get easier if you have good deals and word gets around. we have some people who have bought several of our refurbished furniture pieces. now we email previous buyers and give them first dibs and that works out pretty good.

amazon is the easiest place to sell on. we sell books . amazon does all the work. they email us when we sell one and give the buyers name and address and we ship. they get 15% of sales price. not bad when we pick up books at thrifts and garage sales and sell for 50 dollars or more. when we started we only sold books for 5 bucks or less but that was too much work.

by trial and error we started finding out what was collectible and just concentrate on those. We only have about 200 for sale and sell one or two a month. Our last sale was fro $169 . it was a rare hardcover book about Alice Cooper.

We tried ebay but that did not go as well. made money but after tallying up all the hours , we did not even make minimum wage, ha.

just saying. if you have a fun hobby , you can try to make some part time money at it. even if you don't make any moola , at least you are still having fun. it's better than having a second or third boss.

HBGPreloader

Own/run a small business full time and work PT preload at UPS for the benefits - which would now cost me about $1,200 - $1.500 or more per month if I were to purchase a similar family plan on my own.
And, the cost of prescriptions, eye care, dental, etc would be additional.