Problem fixed

blacknproud

As many of you know, I was having some ethics problems in Addison, I am a combo....being harrassed etc...well I finally got the balls to call the corporate line. I talked to the "head" guy, told him everything that was happening, gave him dates, times, names etc...that was 2 weeks ago and since then, all I get is hello, good job, and have a nice weekend, he also gave me his direct line and told me that there would be major moves coming in Jan. Also he said if anything else happens to call him day or night.....I really feel at ease now, just wanted to update everyone, the 800 number works!!!

trickpony1

The management people you reported may retaliate. This company is famous for subtle retaliation.
Make sure you cross your T's and dot your I's and follow all methods and procedures.
Good Luck.

blacknproud

I know they will try....I come to work everyday, do as directed, and keep a notebook in my back pocket......They can try but I will NEVER let them win... Thanks for the support!!!:happy2:

VTBrown

Congratulations.....just don't use racism against us here who are not colored when your talking about what is happening to you.

You lose quite a bit of credibility then.

VTBrown

Geez.....Read what you just posted!!!!!!!!

What about it?

In an earlier post when someone was questioning him he made the off the cuff comment that the poster must have been white.

You can't play the racism card when you yourself see people by their color.

blacknproud

What about it?

In an earlier post when someone was questioning him he made the off the cuff comment that the poster must have been white.

You can't play the racism card when you yourself see people by their color.

He's right I did when I made that comment...I was mad and I was hurt, but I will not let anything blind my judgement again. Thanks. This is a great forum.

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
Congratulations.....just don't use racism against us here who are not colored when your talking about what is happening to you.

You lose quite a bit of credibility then.

It's okay to see the color of a person's skin. In fact, it's impossible not to notice. Perhaps this post was a little insensitive to the extent that we do not call people 'colored' or, conversely, 'not colored' any longer. The history of that label is buried in racism and intolerance.

It's not that I am 'not colored' but that I am a White person; just the same as I would not identify myself as 'not Black' (but White). It also would be okay to use the term "person of color" or "people of color" when refering to, well, people of color.

.....The more you know (ding)

I think you are right regarding credibility, pointing to the supposed race of a poster (if it is irrelevant) can polarize people and lesson potential allies.

Last edited:

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
As many of you know, I was having some ethics problems in Addison, I am a combo....being harrassed etc...well I finally got the balls to call the corporate line. I talked to the "head" guy, told him everything that was happening, gave him dates, times, names etc...that was 2 weeks ago and since then, all I get is hello, good job, and have a nice weekend, he also gave me his direct line and told me that there would be major moves coming in Jan. Also he said if anything else happens to call him day or night.....I really feel at ease now, just wanted to update everyone, the 800 number works!!!

I think it's awesome you found support and stood up for yourself. No one should have to put up with harassment. If you ever need a hero, my accessories have super powers and I am not afraid to use them against your management team. Good luck to you!

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned

its good you have taken steps to resolving this issue. You do realize that it does not take balls to call a 1 800 number?

I'm puzzled that you did not recieve a stronger response. Usually when someone yells racism the HR department turns out in force.

tieguy

Banned
It's okay to see the color of a person's skin. In fact, it's impossible not to notice. Perhaps this post was a little insensitive to the extent that we do not call people 'colored' or, conversely, 'not colored' any longer. The history of that label is buried in racism and intolerance.

It's not that I am 'not colored' but that I am a White person; just the same as I would not identify myself as 'not Black' (but White). It also would be okay to use the term "person of color" or "people of color" when refering to, well, people of color.

.....The more you know (ding)

I think you are right regarding credibility, pointing to the supposed race of a poster (if it is irrelevant) can polarize people and lesson potential allies.

interesting point that highlights the constant search for approved labels. The terms from colored to black to whatever have changed over the years. Once the approved label changes then the old term is now racist if used.

What if I don't want to call myself white or caucasian? As long as we identify someone by the color or non color of their skin we continue to exercise racist labeling. I figure we will all blend into one shade of brown in about 1000 years. As we do so the efforts to lable by color or race should become quite interesting.

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
interesting point that highlights the constant search for approved labels. The terms from colored to black to whatever have changed over the years. Once the approved label changes then the old term is now racist if used.

What if I don't want to call myself white or caucasian? As long as we identify someone by the color or non color of their skin we continue to exercise racist labeling. I figure we will all blend into one shade of brown in about 1000 years. As we do so the efforts to lable by color or race should become quite interesting.

You make some very good points. Race is inherently subjective and socially constructed. Moreover, there is no biological foundation for race and yet we continue to use the term as if there were. I totally agree that as time goes by, the races will blend until we have a universal race but this will not happen until you and I are both long gone.

Until then, it's the *best* system we have when needing to identify the demographics of individuals who systematically find themselves at such odds as being passed over (usually unintentionally) for hiring, promotion, the assignment of highly visible tasks that can lead to advancement, etc. For reasons such as these, it's important to continue using some form of label as best we can. By addressing cases in society and especially in the workplace (adverse impact and disparate treatment), we can work to overcome inequities. If you don’t believe me, check out the number of cases filed with the equal employment opportunity commission website. Last year alone, there were over 75K charges filed for discrimination based on either race, gender, national origin, religion, retaliation, age, disability and equal pay (http://eeoc.gov/). Also, check out the U.S. Department of Labor and see the discrepancy between the median pay for White workers and that of Black workers with the same level of education. In addition, check out the discrepancy in pay between men and women. Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where people were treated the same and we didn't have to monitor these things?

It's not just that any old label must be racist, but that we have a history of racism and using racist labels in our society. These terms change and they are replaced with words that are more accepting and appropriate. Why not work towards a future of inclusion and respect for each other.

Last edited:

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
its good you have taken steps to resolving this issue. You do realize that it does not take balls to call a 1 800 number?

I'm puzzled that you did not recieve a stronger response. Usually when someone yells racism the HR department turns out in force.

P.S. Having no balls = saying nothing to no one...

tieguy

Banned
Until then, it's the *best* system we have when needing to identify the demographics of individuals who systematically find themselves at such odds as being passed over (usually unintentionally) for hiring, promotion, the assignment of highly visible tasks that can lead to advancement, etc. quote]

I disagree . I think the system is biased when it groups us by color or ethnicity. An individual who groups and stereotypes traits by groups is called a bigot. Yet the government does it every day. Your governments actions of identifying and seperating is what keeps us apart. Its another misguided liberal concept.

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
I disagree . I think the system is biased when it groups us by color or ethnicity. An individual who groups and stereotypes traits by groups is called a bigot. Yet the government does it every day. Your governments actions of identifying and seperating is what keeps us apart. Its another misguided liberal concept.[/quote]

All right, I'll engage. This response has no nutritional value - it's like eating a bowl of iceberg lettuce. What exactly are you trying to say?

Actually, a bigot is defined as a person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own. Monitoring the demographics of the people who are systematically discriminated against does not separate people nor keep them apart. It is a step towards monitoring and attempting to overcome the unfair treatment of people based on their race, ethnicity, gender, etc. My previous post painfully details the importance of monitoring individuals' demographics at least until equity is the norm.

The misguided liberal remark is a cheap mud sling and I won't respond to that.

PS Blacknproud had your 'balls' by reporting the issue to several people face to face and called the 800 number when nothing changed (it's in a different thread but you responded to that one, so you already know this).

Last edited:

VTBrown

Obviously there are a few words out there that said can only really mean one intent....to be disrespectful.

Me personally? I can't be politically correct all the time...it's too tiring and half the time comes of as fake. I DO try to keep what I say to being respectful in terms of race.

I can remember being in High School and having a dimwitted great aunt who couldn't see past the color of a girlfriend of mine.

blacknproud

Obviously there are a few words out there that said can only really mean one intent....to be disrespectful.

Me personally? I can't be politically correct all the time...it's too tiring and half the time comes of as fake. I DO try to keep what I say to being respectful in terms of race.

I can remember being in High School and having a dimwitted great aunt who couldn't see past the color of a girlfriend of mine.

Believe me everyone at one point or another has said the N-word, even me and not calling a fellow black man hey n-word. That being said it is different if you are at work and being called boy all the time by your superiors and other name calling, that is unacceptable. For example if I was white and my manager was black and he told me to punch out and I said something like wait until all the lower senority people are gone "BOY" that would mean I am calling him out because of his race, or if he was a gay man and I said sure ferret, that would be the same thing....no one can be politically correct all the time, that is a joke, but being disrespected on a ongoing basis is.....just IMO only

tieguy

Banned
I disagree . I think the system is biased when it groups us by color or ethnicity. An individual who groups and stereotypes traits by groups is called a bigot. Yet the government does it every day. Your governments actions of identifying and seperating is what keeps us apart. Its another misguided liberal concept.

All right, I'll engage. This response has no nutritional value - it's like eating a bowl of iceberg lettuce. What exactly are you trying to say?
.[/quote]

I believe I said it. Your government seperates by color and ethnicity. Your government is one of the biggest bigots around. If you are part of the liberal element in this society then you have to take your share of the blame for constantly pushing seperation and prejudice under the pretense of fighting for equality.

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
I believe I said it. Your government seperates by color and ethnicity. Your government is one of the biggest bigots around. If you are part of the liberal element in this society then you have to take your share of the blame for constantly pushing seperation and prejudice under the pretense of fighting for equality.[/quote]

Yawn. Can I at least get some dressing to cover this tasteless salad?