Problems with calling in sick.

R

rushfan

Have any of you had problems calling in sick, when you're really sick. I always get the, "well you don't sound sick". I've been asked what the doctor prescribed. When told, the sup. said, "doctor's don't prescribe that". Do they get some kind of medical training? Some drivers that I work with have told me just to say you're sick, and hang up. I did that once, and was told that was insubordination-and I could get fired for it.

I'd like some thoughts, suggestions, whatever.
Thanks.

(Message edited by rushfan on January 03, 2003)

D

deliver_man

Some drivers that I work with have told me just to say you're sick, and hang up. I did that once, and was told that was insubordination-and I could get fired for it.

All you are required to do is inform your management team at least 1 hour prior to start time that you are calling in sick. You do not to have to answer any questions or tell them your symptoms. Just hanging up is kinda rude, but I seriously doubt you could be fired for it, I know plenty of guys who have done that and they are all still working. If your attendance is a problem, that will be adressed when you come back to work, not over the phone.

P

proups

Usually the Sup asks questions because they really planned for you to be there, they need you, and now they may not be able to cover you.

D

deliver_man

I did that once, and was told that was insubordination-and I could get fired for it.

It would be pretty hard for the company to make a case for insubordination for something that you did while "off the clock".</font>

O

over9five

Years ago it was horrible to call in sick. You'd get the third degree, threats, begging even. Now its hardly a problem (in my center).
When you do call in sick, do not answer any questions about symptoms, medications, etc. Its really none of their business. You are correct in your assumption that they did not receive medical training in Brainwash School. And that time you abruptly hung up? You had to run to puke, remember????
I think it has to do with proper manning. If your center team is running things right, they have cover drivers who are there to cover (hence the name "cover driver") the route when you are out sick.
Remember that UPS gives you sick days for a reason. UPS also gives your center cover drivers for a reason. Use this valuable benefit.

W

wvbrown

IT sounds like rushfan has an absentee problem. If all employees had the attitude of over9five UPS would need to double the seniority list. If you are truly sick that's different. The top five seniority employees including myself have not missed a group total of 15 unpaid days in the past 30 years. We have never been questioned about why we missed. An absentee problem by an experienced employee just makes it harder on his union brothers.

R

rushfan

Ok thanks for the info. I've called in sick about 4 times in the past 10 years-excluding a week I took off for an operation. I have no problems with the supervisors. I think the problem begins with those who "abuse" the sick privelige. So when we who are really sick call in, we get the 10 questions.

I'm with the high seniorty drivers-I want to accrue the sick time so I can cash it in.

Again thanks for all the info.

And as someone else says

GO UPS!

O

over9five

Attitude? I havent called in sick since February. I havent had to. Why? Because my management team runs the center right, and I have been able to get a day off whenever Ive needed one. I think maybe wv has a problem if he's burned all his sick days and is now taking unpaid time. Ive never done that.
And how does the absentee problem of another driver make it harder on you? Calling in sick gives a job to your union brother (the cover driver).

D

dammor

Paid sick days? Who the hell has that? We have no sick leave here. Never have. We can take our option week as such, but that's it. As far as cover drivers it would seem there are never enough. Especially if 7 people call in sick the day after a holiday. That results in cut runs and the drivers who show up having much more to do than can be done. Meaning serious stress and no doubt poor service. If you are sick, you are sick. There are times when some people establish a pattern and no doubt are not believed when calling in. I can understand that.

D

dannyboy

In our center all you do is call and tell them that "I am not going to be there." Not sick, not dieing, just I will not be there. They do not have the right to question you as to why.

That being said, we do have the regualars that call in sick every monday or friday, or the thursday-monday of a race weekend. We have one driver that has only worked 10-11 days in the last 2 years. She is currently off on disability.

d

L

lr1937

I'd like some thoughts, suggestions, whatever.
Thanks.

Don't abuse the system, use your sick days for sick days, call in sick when you are sick not when you don't feel like working, don't make a habit out of calling in sick, don't become one of the few bad apples, give the abusers in your work group hell since they make it bad for everyone, talk with your superviser if you have serious health problems, don't come to work if you are really sick or under the influence of any substance and get help if this happens with any degree of regalarity, ignore abusive supervisors, and be honest about what is ailing you.

J

johnny_b

In my hub it depends on the day you are calling in. Call in on Tuesdays (not peak) as often as you wish. Call in on a Monday or Friday and eyebrows are raised. Do it a few times and you get a letter.

Of course it has to do with manning and volume numbers, that is what supervisors do! If it becomes that much of a problem, your center should hire more people.

J

ja7618

Yea what sick days!! Never thought we had them, sure wish that we did, never understood why that was not an issue with the union, makes for sense than some of the other piddy stuff they bicker over.

D

dannyboy

JA7618

Are you saying you do not have a week worth of sick days? What part of the world are you in? I thought that was something that was nation wide?

d

L

lr1937

(They do not have the right to question you as to why. )
Danny
Maybe things have changed but as far as I am concerned the company has every right to question you about why you are not going to be at work. Just to say I am not going to be there is bs. If I had no right to question you then how would I know how to plan for what I could expect as far a your return. How would I know what to tell myself and fellow employees who are concerned about your well being what the problem is. I owe it to your fellow worker who may get more work to explain to them why your are out. How would I know how to dispatch the following day and succeeding days. I think calling in and not saying why as a bs attitude and one that puts your supervisor and fellow workers in a bind. I don't know where you work but we would have a problem if you called and told me you weren't coming to work and I asked why and you told me I had no right to ask you that question. You would have a problem with any employer telling them it was none of their business. I sure as hell would require a doctors excuse when you came back to work for if I let you work with an ailment that could affect your driving I would be in trouble an so would the company. I would have no choice if you didn't tell me the reason. I think it would show a lack of concern and caring if a supervisor did not ask you what was wrong. You have a lousy work situation if your supervisor can't question you about why you are not coming to work. Lousy for you, your fellow workers, your supervisor, the company and the union you are a member of.
If you have your own business as you say have, you would probably fire an employee if they refused to tell you the reason they weren't coming to work.
I think it is a common courtesy to inform your employer why you are going to miss work. Can you explain to me why you would not want to provide your supervisor with that information? Would you want him to think you were just laying out for no reason making it difficult for you and your fellow workers? Wouldn't you want your fellow workers to know why you are out? Don't you think you owe it to them? Do you know what happens if you make it easy to call in to be off without a valid reason?
I think it is unreasonable and ignorant not to inform your employer, regardless of who it is , why you are not coming to work.

D

dannyboy

If an employee volunteers that information, that is fine. But as a manager, you ought to know the law. THey do not have to tell you diddly. They, under the contract, just have to notify you that they are not going to be there. And as far as waiting to talk to your own supervisor, they cant make you do that either. As long as you notify them at least that one hour before start time, that is all you HAVE to do.

Now as far as being fair, I did not state that this is fair. We had a driver that was out for personal reasons for an extended time. We reached an agreement that the driver would notifiy management at least one week prior to their return. THat was the best that the employee could do and the most that management could ask for.

There are some things that are nobodies business but yours. And it is illegal for management to dig into why you are going to be out.

d

D

deliver_man

I agree with Dannyboy. If you call in sick, thats the end of the conversation. It is not your supervisor's business to be asking for a list of your symptoms, telling you that you don't "sound sick" etc. If your attendance is an issue, that should be adressed on your return to work, in the office, with a shop steward. I'm all in favor of taking disciplinary action against the guys who habitually call in on friday and monday, but lets be honest here. Our co-workers are not "owed" any explanation of why we are not here. They are big boys, they can figure it out. The guy who calls in once or maybe twice a year should not be getting the 3rd degree over the phone.

L

lr1937

If an employee volunteers that information, that is fine. But as a manager, you ought to know the law.

What is the law? I never had an employee call in sick that I did not ask what was the matter and was never arrested or told it was against the law.
Give me the law number, ordinance or whatever law you are talking about.
It has been a long time since I have actively managed and it was never a law that I was aware of and was never arrested or even contested.

O

over9five

Ir1937, You are correct, if it was a matter of you asking your employee, "Why arent you coming in"? And the employee replies, "I am sick".

BUT, when you add, "What are your symptoms? You dont sound bad. You gotta come in, we're hanging". Thats not right.