Problems with sups working

ftballer67

File please file even if it's only five minutes. what if they all work three different time for 5 min apiece? The problem usually isn't being understaffed its not starting you all 15-20 minutes earlier which at 10 bucks an hour is just petty. What happens is drivers end up leaving 10 minutes later because they sent people home or started too late. This time ends up being overtime for the driver. I have never understood why they think it's better to pay a driver 45 bucks an hour than a preloader 10-15.

I've thought the same thing but it's classic UPS way of thinking and goes like this. 'It doesn't matter if you lose 500.00 trying to save a nickel as long as the nickel shows up on your report and the 500.00 shows up on somebody else's.

UPSGUY72

I've thought the same thing but it's classic UPS way of thinking and goes like this. 'It doesn't matter if you lose 500.00 trying to save a nickel as long as the nickel shows up on your report and the 500.00 shows up on somebody else's.

In most cases that is the case. It's not the same when they are paying because of a grievance filed against a SUP working.

whiskers

Lol coming after me for wrong cars now

Start documenting your day, if you're not already doing so. Sups working, where they were,how long they worked and witnesses. Write down anything out of the ordinary. And if they give you a warning letter, file a grievance right away.

midwest brown

Went to get water today and saw unload sup dumping smalls and flipping them label up. Full timer came and told me he had been working for atleast an hour before I came. Went back again for water later and watched him unload a whole air car lol. Filing for 2 plus hours on the grievance

Dynomite

Might sound bad but I hate high seniority people. I like when my supervisor helps us out. He helps when he doesn't have enough people and we are getting slammed. As a loader the thing that gets my blood pressure up is when I look up and see an endless line of boxes. When these high seniority people come onto MY PD and file on MY supervisor he is screwing me over not the sup. If no one on my PD is filing then leave us alone. One time our full timer told the high seniority guy to go load (this guy was use to driving around and picking up recycles) he drove away so fast our heads spun. If you aren't willing to man up and and get in there and load yourself then don't be a pus and ruin your fellow unioners day. I only have four years, but I just don't get why you guys have so little respect for people with low seniority. We need help and UPS isn't hiring enough people to get the job done... Usually when they do hire, the new hire blows ass anyway.

And I'm no pushover. When I was working in IL all I did was bitch to people about being overworked it went nowhere. It got to the point where I was soooo pro union before and I lost all faith in the union completely. I go to union about over working, about broken equipment. You know who got our equipment fixed? Not the union my sup had to buy the guy a subway sandwich everyday for a week for him to come out and fix our stuff. I don't know if its the contract or the president or what but I use to be all starry eyed about this union, but after being in it for four years it lost its flavor. So I just gave up and said I would rather my sup work then be friend'd up at 10:30 because no one loaded in our slowest load the past 2 hours.

Amen. I totally agree with you. Our sup works sometimes when we are so short staffed that it wouldn't get done any other way. When as a woman and only being there 6 months I load 350/hr in three trucks, work the mis-sort slide and run the cart, I am thankful that he helps. Sometimes there are just two of us loading 7 to 8 trailers. The guys usually have the 4 trucks with the heaviest loads. I will help with one of them when I can, but two of my three take so much flow I can't get to my third sometimes. Of the top 4 trucks, after break you usually can't get out of one of them which leaves the other three with no one to load them. That's when my sup steps in. If it wasn't for him we would be screwed. I know it is a numbers game with the company-the fewer employees the better, that's why they can't keep anyone-they are killing us. I refuse to join the Union, not only is it WAY TOO MUCH MONEY but they are only out to help the full timers, screw the part-timers.

None of us are willing to file on our sup because we know he is only trying to help and keep our safety in mind. All of you pro union people can just deal with my opinion because it is that and we all have them. And I agree with Dynomite, instead of filling get your butts in the trailer and help, spend a day in the trailer see what it's like. Yes you all have done your time, but things have changed in 30 years. With all of the online retail sales now, UPS is busting at the seams, but they are still running it with the same staff they did 20 years ago. All of you that have been out of the trailers for longer than 6 years have no idea how much volume is now running through the building, you only see what is in your delivery cars, wake up and watch the belts and see. When the flow stays belt wide and double stacked all shift long and you are trying to keep your loads down so the pick offs have somewhere for the boxes to go and can't keep ahead no matter how fast you load and how much you kill your self, then you can complain about the sups helping.

curiousbrain

The previous two posts are why I initially wanted to be a part-time supervisor; at the building where I am employed, at the time when I was hired, my part-time soup helped us all out. Maybe he did it to make numbers, maybe he did it because he was a nice guy who hated to see us smashed with cardboard. But, because I so respected and admired the folks I was privileged to work next to, I immediately expressed interest because I wanted to be "that guy" who helped them in whatever way I could.

Now, there is certainly some amount of naivety in that; but, there is still some truth to it, as well. The fact is that the preload is so slammed you can't find your boxes as they come down the belt, never mind have time to load them. Is that the fault of the "Gods"? Quite possibly; unfortunately, the practical reality is that "they" will still not hire anyone to help out. Even if management misses bonuses and all that, they will rotate them through until someone shows up who can either grind out the numbers through extreme attrition, or through some vestige of respect and comradery combined with attrition.

I've even been privy to certain conversations where certain people want the union to come in and enforce the actual letter of the contract, because then they would be free from the insane demands of spreadsheet logistics; the obvious retort might be that they should "be the bigger man" and stand up for what is right, but they have families, kids, dreams, and they don't have the luxury of using morals to pay for their car, house, or whatever. That is not to absolve them of all blame, because there is certainly enough to go around for everyone, but in the areas (such as mine) where the union does not enforce any rules, is essentially laughed at by its own members, and the "gods" reign supreme, I and many like me will keep helping whenever it is necessary to promote safety in the only way we can - loading boxes when egress is so blocked as to be a complete hazard.

The day the union (or anyone, for that matter) rolls in, and puts a stop to the madness, is the day I will quit doing bargaining unit work. I also realize that drivers are sent out with insane amounts of work, and some are able to simply stonewall "them" until their routes are "fixed"; or they just get paid insane OT. The preload (in my area) is not like that; the second the drivers punch in, the loaders are cut and any work left is up to the driver to deal with; there is no OT to speak of. The part-timers could complain about it to the union, but most of them know, by historical precedent, that it will go nowhere anyway. The small amount of representation that exists in my area is strictly reserved for the full-time employees.

It's not important if I think this is a good state of affairs or not, and that would miss the point; this is just the practical, operational reality that I work in every day; wish in one hand, crap in the other ... I think the rest is obvious.

menotyou

bella amicizia
As a wise preload sup said to me once, I get paid to supervise. She refused to slit her own throat by artificially inflating her PPH. That was her logic, not mine.

anonymous4

Need harsher punishment. I've said this before but I'd say 20% of the work done on my shift is being done by supervisors. Where does that void get filled if the punishment is too great for them to work? JOBS. Something must be done to up the consequences of supervisors working because at the moment they are working right there alongside us all day, every day.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'd rather have my sups help me instead of getting stacked out and not wrap up on time.
What if it was your job that these sups were doing and you didn't get hired because of it? Some one is sitting home because of it. Would that be worth 'wrapping up on time'?

8up

What if it was your job that these sups were doing and you didn't get hired because of it? Some one is sitting home because of it. Would that be worth 'wrapping up on time'?
when my sups work it is because someone is sitting home, usually the combo (22.3) employees not wanting to work one or the other half of the jobs. the combos have the highest percentages of absenteeism in our group, but most of them are so useless that the sups would just as well let them not show, and once the on call list is exhausted, usually within the first week of each month, mgmt has done every thing to bring in back up workers. our two combo stewards have filed, but not been able to win anything with the poor attendance of both the combos and the folks who sign the call in list.

CharleyHustle

As a loader the thing that gets my blood pressure up is when I look up and see an endless line of boxes. When these high seniority people come onto MY PD and file on MY supervisor he is screwing me over not the sup. If no one on my PD is filing then leave us alone.

Do you realize that the company would rather not observe seniority rights? When there are too many boxes coming at you that is not your fault. When the flow is too heavy for the existing employees to handle that is not the employees fault. The company controls the flow not the employees. The company is contractually obligated to use union employees to control or not to control the flow of packages.

Ask your boss when he is doing your job, who is doing his job? His answer will be most likely something like this "Huh? this is my job".

CRASH501

NOW.... SOME OF THE ABOVE COMMENTS ARE EXACTLY WHY OUR UNIONS ARE GETTING WEAK!
Oh I wont join because nothing gets done, BULL$#!)..... nothing gets done because you people have let management walk all over you guys for so damn long. I work in a busy hub and there are FULL TIME preload supes on each of the 5 belts LOADING trucks everyday! Or even offloading at night for that matter, it might only be 2 guys at night but its still happening. WHY IS THIS ALLOWED because you allow it! I have filed, I have taken the overtime before the my start time, I have even taken the overtime at the end of my shift Unloadindg pickups and or in the trailers...... So as far as manning up it doesnt matter you guys need to man up and STAND UP FOR YOUR PART TIME JOBS! Do not allow that supervisor to load, unload, sort ect......file and accept the target on your back!