Process of appealing an accident.

I agree that the Circle of Honor should be 25 years with zero accidents but it is only 25 years of safe driving. .

That's a idealistic view but let's be honest. In the world we have to drive in to make it 25 years with just unavoidable crashes is a near miracle. It was something in the old days much less idiots on cell phones,etc, now. I've got a year to go and have 3 unavoidables in my career and I'll take that jacket with a clear conscious.

oldngray

nowhere special
I got up to 8 years then had a minor thing I got charged with. I stopped paying attention to how many years when UPS quit giving out any rewards so I'm not even sure how many I had when I retired. Somewhere between 5 and 10.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
How did you grieve it. What article did you file under. Who overturned it. How long did process take and how. Thanks!!!!

If they issued a warning letter.... grieve that.

The other option, is to write a protest letter and give it to the head of safety.

(not the safety committee)

Circle of honor is a scam. It should be 25 years with zero accidents, which we all know it's not.

When I see a driver with the "patch" on his uniform sleeve....

I always shake their hand and congratulate them....

For 25 years, of never reporting an accident. :biggrin:

-Bug-

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have about 10 Circle of Honor drivers in our building. Every single one of them has broken a mirror at some point in their careers, and not been charged with it. I have broken 2 of them, and been charged with an avoidable accident and given a warning letter both times. Cant grieve it, because safe driving recognition and awards are granted at the sole discretion of the company. Both warning letters turned to toilet paper after 9 months anyway. Bottom line is that UPS has never had a clear, consistent definition of what constitutes an "accident" and it has never had a clear or consistent definition of what constitutes "avoidable". My suspicion has always been that there is some sort of warning letter quota that must be met, with an arbitrary and fixed percentage of reported accidents being automatically deemed "avoidable" whether they were or not. Logic, common sense and fairness have never been a factor in the decision.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No awards now anyway. Our district does nothing for Circle of Honor either. The only real concern is not getting charged, to protect yourself.

Packmule

Avoidable or unavoidable is open to there interpretation. Unless your getting fired for it what are your going to "appeal". Remember in the end your not getting a bonus when you retire for not getting into an accident....
Precisely why I wanted language in last contract to state that these decisions need to follow standard traffic laws instead of leaving it up to mgt.

But alas, no real protective language-but lots of unnecessary raises.

iruhnman630

I hit and killed a dog. The avoidable ruling lasted about one week , no grievance necessary. Everybody from center manager on down knew it was wrong.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's like their "allowances", don't buy into them and you will find peace of mind.
Come to work, sell your time and let management worry about "the numbers".
The day I divorced myself from caring about these arbitrary standards was the most liberating moment of my life.

Dr.Brownz

We have about 10 Circle of Honor drivers in our building. Every single one of them has broken a mirror at some point in their careers, and not been charged with it. I have broken 2 of them, and been charged with an avoidable accident and given a warning letter both times. Cant grieve it, because safe driving recognition and awards are granted at the sole discretion of the company. Both warning letters turned to toilet paper after 9 months anyway. Bottom line is that UPS has never had a clear, consistent definition of what constitutes an "accident" and it has never had a clear or consistent definition of what constitutes "avoidable". My suspicion has always been that there is some sort of warning letter quota that must be met, with an arbitrary and fixed percentage of reported accidents being automatically deemed "avoidable" whether they were or not. Logic, common sense and fairness have never been a factor in the decision.

Why couldn't you grieve it?

If the precedent had been set : mirror = no warning letter
then you have to be treated like everyone else.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

You've answered your own question.
The warning letter is useless.
Guys like Sober and myself won't give them the satisfaction of thinking we care.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I could only have grieved it if I had subsequently been charged with a second accident and the company tried to suspend me. At that point, we can go back and grieve the validity of the original warning letter. Otherwise, the warning letter is nothing more than a piece of paper.

I could only have grieved it if I had subsequently been charged with a second accident and the company tried to suspend me. At that point, we can go back and grieve the validity of the original warning letter. Otherwise, the warning letter is nothing more than a piece of paper.
I disagree.
It is not just a piece of paper. it is an insult.
This crap needs to stop.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Progressive discipline isn't valid unless the original charge is just.

upschuck

We grieve warning letters here right away. Don't they say it is an untimely grievance if you grieve it more than a week later?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We grieve warning letters here right away. Don't they say it is an untimely grievance if you grieve it more than a week later?
Here, we can't grieve warning letters.
We can only file what is termed a "letter of record" when protesting a warning letter.
It is filed next to the warning letter in the employees file and referenced only when discipline is progressive on the issue at hand.

After 16yrs of safe driving I had an accident. They took me off the road for 2wks so they could "investigate" the accident. I was issued a warning letter. I was told that I should file a grievance stating "I protest the warning letter under Article 50". I have always been told it best to file anytime you are disciplined. What say you?