production rides

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
We have a guy who gets one or two a year - nothing ever comes of it. They can't fire anyone for lack of production. Come to think of it, it's probably been a good 3 years since I've been ridden for anything. I think I need to slow down today lol.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
75 clicks is acceptable---200 clicks most certainly needs to be addressed.

We have a driver who is currently under the microscope for production issues. Seems he likes to "visit" and tends to fall behind. The cover drivers have no problem bringing it in close to scratch on a regular basis.

I'd like to know how you can qualify that statement without first qualifying the allowances as an accurate measurement of the the drivers day.
If they could be qualified, I go as far as to say 75 clicks is unacceptable.
Unfortunately allowances vary greatly from route to route and are subjective and arbitrary.
The day we start working in a controlled enviroment, such as an assembly line, is the day we should be held to a standard other than "a fair days work for a fair days pay".
The 3 day ride is nothing more than a calculated bluff, using one dimensional variables such as SPOHR, when reality has the job subjecting us to a much more complicated equation.
In the last 6 years I have seen my route require 25-30 stops more to dispatch, while the urban community in which I deliver remain virtually unchanged.
What has changed?
Only the companies unrealistic expectations, as I have went from a bonus driver to significantly overallowed.
I have had every supervisor, my center manager, as well as my Division Manager on my truck to no avail.
I point at that jump seat and tell them it is theirs and to stop by any time.

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
File if it's more than once a year. Like 407 says, you're establishing a paper trail. Don't worry about if you win or lose. Keep filing for every time it happens. Show them you know what they're doing and that you will not be intimidated. Who gives a ***** what the cover drivers do the route in? You can't prevent an arshole from being an :censored2:. Drivers like this have made things sticky for all of us.

Above all, follow the methods...nothing gives you more time than doing it their way.

OptimusPrime

Who gives a ***** what the cover drivers do the route in? You can't prevent an arshole from being an :censored2:. Drivers like this have made things sticky for all of us.

Above all, follow the methods...nothing gives you more time than doing it their way.

Don't think that's completely fair to us swing drivers. Don't take this as disrespect, it's not in the slightest. Most if not all swing guys appreciate and respect the time you guys all put in. But come on. Like the route I routinely cover. IIRC the driver is at least 25 years my senior, and hell, I'm 31. Unless I dramatically drag my feet all day, there is no way I am not going to run it quite a bit faster. That falls on management and allowances, not on me. I'm not a runner gunner, it's just I don't have 25+ years of delivery on my body. I'm just glad he is a good sport about it, and ignores management.

ymelord

File if it's more than once a year. Like 407 says, you're establishing a paper trail. Don't worry about if you win or lose. Keep filing for every time it happens. Show them you know what they're doing and that you will not be intimidated. Who gives a ***** what the cover drivers do the route in? You can't prevent an arshole from being an :censored2:. Drivers like this have made things sticky for all of us.

Dracula, the last girls neck you sucked on, had she been drinking, I think I said that, not that I care just want to know if I can get a buzz on drunk chicks blood.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Don't think that's completely fair to us swing drivers. Don't take this as disrespect, it's not in the slightest. Most if not all swing guys appreciate and respect the time you guys all put in. But come on. Like the route I routinely cover. IIRC the driver is at least 25 years my senior, and hell, I'm 31. Unless I dramatically drag my feet all day, there is no way I am not going to run it quite a bit faster. That falls on management and allowances, not on me. I'm not a runner gunner, it's just I don't have 25+ years of delivery on my body. I'm just glad he is a good sport about it, and ignores management.

I was a cover driver for over half of the 21 years that I was in package car. Things have just changed. I'm not throwing all cover drivers under the bus, but when I left PC, about 2/3's of the cover drivers I knew tore up the routes they covered. Maybe I'm showing my age, but back in the day, when we covered routes, we pretty much synced up times with the normal driver. And the drivers who didn't were shunned. In your case, I would have done whatever it took to at least come close to his times. It was just a respect thing, and that respect would go both ways when done correctly.

I'll be the first to say, much of the blame falls at the union's feet. In the years following the strike, the union (in our area, anyway) put us at arm's length. And that's no way to keep and grow union solidarity. Years later, this is what we've got. Many guys don't even join the union, and in the 80's in 90's, that was simply unheard of. In many places, you're lucky to get a decent steward or business agent. As a result, many, many drivers have this "it's all about me" attitude. They bitcchh about how they have to take work off the slower drivers, not correlating that with the speed at which they work. These are many of the same drivers who take shortcuts and run through their day, and then act surprised when their mistakes often get them suspended, or worse, fired.

The best thing I did was go to feeders, where I'm back with all of those old drivers I used cover for when I was a newbie. A lot of us still look out for each other, but so many of those burners are coming back here too, with predictable results. Production, naturally, goes up when these guys come back here, because they bring the zoom-zoom PC mentality with them. Also, not surprisingly, accidents go up too.

So, what's the end story? I guess that's up to you, individually. In my case, it's follow their methods and work at the pace I always have. They get on me a lot, production wise, but they won't get me on safety and doing the job right.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The reason why UPS's numbers and expectations have changed is simply to get rid of bonusers. If they can get you to work the whole time rather than let you bonus so you can get paid for driving home and dropping a deuce, then they win. The days of our company rewarding us with bonuses and picnics and turkeys are over folks. No use in railing against it. Give them what they give you and go home happy.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I enjoy production rides. They take 20 to 25 stops off me. Then they tell me the next week I should be able to do those extra 25 in the same amount of time I did when I didnt have them.

undies

I came back from disability in July and had 3 ride a longs and was followed 2 times that I know of in about 1.5 months time. I filed one grievance for over supervision then another for harassment. My center manager said they are only doing it because they care about my physical well being and want to make sure I'm being "safe".

menotyou

bella amicizia
I came back from disability in July and had 3 ride a longs and was followed 2 times that I know of in about 1.5 months time. I filed one grievance for over supervision then another for harassment. My center manager said they are only doing it because they care about my physical well being and want to make sure I'm being "safe".
I say your center manager is full of malarky. I went out for neck surgery(had a disc removed) as an AM Clerk. I came back from surgery and I was loading 4-5 trucks at the head of the belt without a splitter. Again, they just wanted to make sure I was 100%. (This is when I was pt)

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Disability or Workers Comp?