Progress With Pilots?

S

susiedriver

Rumor has it that an offer is on the table. $1.3 billion/8 years. Anyone else hear this?

D

dannyboy

Susie

if true, that would be indeed good news! I hope the fly boys geterdone so we can go on with life.

d

R

racerx

So, does that mean that main sticking point was not scheduling, as the pilots would have us believe, but more pay?

S

susiedriver

racerx,

Not necessarily, although money is usually a top priority in any negotiation. I didn't hear any talk on the other issues, and the pilot I talked to said he'd vote no, because 8 years equals 12 years in UPS time. At least there seems to be progress.

O

ok2bclever

Money is the primary issue that always bleeds out in the news even though there are more important issues involved in almost any contract.

susie, you want to explain that 8=12 thing to me I am missing that one?

S

susiedriver

He felt that an 8 year agreement would equate to a 12 year agreement before it was amended again. Probably an exaggeration, but a good 10 years, if history is a guide. Something to consider if you plan on retiring in 8-10 years.

O

ok2bclever

Ahh, you are referring to working without a contract or extending the current one beyond the contract date while negotiating the next one as has happened a few times in the ground arena and more often in the air arena, got it.

S

susiedriver

ok,

The pilots contract doesn't expire, like the Teamsters; it becomes 'amendable'.