Promotion from within from PT hub work to operations management or SCS?

AssistantSanta

I have a bachelor's degree in operations management, but no relevant experience. I looked at management jobs as well, but most requires some experience, that I do not have.

UPS has a "promote from within" culture, but does that apply to interdivision transfer such as from PT package handler to PT management to Supply Chain Solutions?

Does anyone know if job history as a PT package handler will make any difference?

Would UPS pay for my masters degree through tuition compensation program?

Southwestern

A YMMV situation. We have many PT sups with 5-10+ years experience, and who hold 4-year degrees, waiting to go full-time. We also have drivers who hold 4-year degrees waiting to go into full-time management. It helps if you're not a white male...

whiskers

UPS has a "promote from within" culture said:
I've seen a seasonal driver's helper get a PT supervisor job, so I guess you're good there.

Tuition assistance varies by location. Only management gets it at my hub.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You are trying right? I believe in another thread I said if you got hired you would be in management in a short time. Now it seems you'd like to skip the whole part-time thing. Am I close?
I encourage hourlies to go into management whenever possible, if they're really interested. Chances are, if they seriously consider going into management, they aren't really union quality, so it only benefits the union.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If he isn't a PT sup already, i think that is the only way he would get hired. If you have a pulse, they will hire you for PT. When the do away with dispatching from the buildings, you are going to have a lot of FT sups looking to any opening. Don't see any room for movement into FT, if the dispatching rumor is true. It is one of the rumors that actually sounds about right.

Southwestern

If he isn't a PT sup already, i think that is the only way he would get hired. If you have a pulse, they will hire you for PT. When the do away with dispatching from the buildings, you are going to have a lot of FT sups looking to any opening. Don't see any room for movement into FT, if the dispatching rumor is true. It is one of the rumors that actually sounds about right.

Not necessarily. In my area, the trend has been to promote full-time drivers (many of whom were previously part-time sups) into full-time supervisors. True operational jobs have went to kids possessing degrees... and frankly, having served as a part time sup has held little advantage. To be fair, jobs have been scarce in recent years, with the number of full-timers having been heavily slashed. However, the full-time sups are aging and most will retire within a few years... but there's tons of interest in their jobs. Although that's not true for true operational jobs (e.g. IE) -- the core are in their late twenties/early thirties as UPS hired a bunch of college kids in the early to mid 2000s.