Promotion to part time sup

V

VonLego

I've put up some pretty good numbers and have always had a smile on my face. I've been requested to be the Cerc rep, sort isle (twice I declined), and finally I've been requested to sign up for management.

What are some things I need to know? My part timer says he fully supports me and will help me through the process as much as he can, as well as push for me to the heads of the hub.

I'm currently 18 (19 in feb) and am wondering what will be changing? I am confident in my ability to be a supervisor, but what hoops am I required to jump through to make it? I'm not particularly asking for the process of how to become a manager, but what details are left out when full timers tell you how to go about your application?

How much is the pay and how does it work? I currently only make the seniority 9.00/hr.

Thanks for your time

hungrydude5

I'd like to know too. im 20......ive been here for 2 years, since day one ive been wanting to do it and finally there is a position open. any insight guys?

spitt2000

I would take a deep breath and really decide if that is what you want...In my hub, they have a hard time finding anyone that wants that job I know I wouldn't. I think they make a little more, but are charges for bennies. There are a lot of routes to take with this company, I would just really think about it. A few have taken it here, and then wanted out, and were told they would have to quit, leave for a year, and try to start all over as hourly. Ouch.

helenofcalifornia

Take a look around at the other PT supes and decide if that's the way you want to be treated and work those hours. Personally, I would wait out the time and go driving. If you don't like that, then go into management. But if you need to do it for the money, than so be it. Just don't be naive enough to think you are going to change the world at UPS. Good luck in both your ventures.

V

VonLego

I want to be a part time sup because

1. It makes at least slightly more, never a bad thing
2. A leading roll is certainly something I can work with. The dynamics of loading never change and there are no new challenges.
3. I think I'd be good at it. I'm the oldest sibling in a large family and have had many other leadership style roles from teaching classes to under the table management at my family's restuarant.
4. Additional earn and learn money for school. (2000 per quarter instead of 1500 right?)

I do not want to make a career out of UPS. I want it to get me through school so I can move on to something I'm interested in which I know makes the big bucks.

PT sups are respected at my hub

From what I hear I shouldn't keep my hopes up for much of a raise.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
If you go part time sup you better be in school, the only thing that will make you stand out from the masses of other part time sups is the golden ticket the degree buys. When the announcements come out on promotions and stuff around here there is a bio on everyone and it always pimps their schooling, even if its in forestry.

Part-time sup is a step up in pay but I think the best choice is to suck it up with the PT hub pay and hope like hell a combo comes up.

retired2000

one of our guys has a note book that he has named the millonaires book. he would put all the names of union people that took a sup job and wrote down the date they left ups. these are the folks that said "what a great step this is" none of them could take the bull that is handed to them. before you take this step make sure it is what you want.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
Obviously some people make it as PT sups since there are so many full-timers. Retired2000 is right most move on after just a couple years because the opportunities are slim to none after a bright start.

ImStillHere

If you are looking for some extra money for school, I would say go for it! If the other PT sups in your building look happy that is good, but expect to have a lot more responsibility. You will have responsibility for things that are seemingly out of your control, and you will be expected to fix them. Depending on your full timers, it can be a pleasant environment to work in, or it can be hell.

I am currently a PT sup, and it can be extremely frustrating. I am sticking around for the tuition reimbursement, they have dangled the "full-time promotion" carrot in front of me... I graduate next April, and if nothing happens by june... see ya later UPS. I have too many things to offer to waste away in part time supervision.

I would use the company for all they can offer you, because trust me... they will use you. I know this is a bleak outlook.... but I am beginning to see UPS for what it is.