promotion to Supervisor (pay scale??)

U

Unregistered

sup money from a recently resigned ft sup

I drove for 14 years, got promoted to ft sup, I left about 1 year ago after being a ft sup for 4 years. I worked in the PA/NJ/MD area. I can't remember what my driver rate was, my beginning ft sup pay was about ten percent more per month than that of my driver pay. I left to start my own business, which is doing ok, and I wanted to have a life and a relationship with my wife and kids. 14 hours a day out of the house was just not worth it. I miss the people I worked with and for very much. I started at UPS as a young man, I made numerous friends and I had a spotless reputation hat I covetted. I miss the pride, not trying to be corny, of telling people that asked that I was an eighteen year employee with UPS. It is difficult and rewarding on the outside, I love having a life but I miss having a piece of the action.

I recently completed the MAPP process as well. Actually, I completed my panel interview yesterday morning at 1000, and was notified that I had passed at about 1730 last night. To answer your question, I was told by the panel that general FT supervisor starting wage is about 10% more than what that employee was making before.

My only problem with that: I have been a FT driver for 22 months now, and I will clear about $45-50k this year (I expect to clock about 2500-2600 hours this year, based on what I have already this year and how many hours I worked between the end of August and the end of December last year,) but NEXT year I expect to clear about $72k. I have a really bad feeling that when I speak with the wage negotiator I will be offered around $50k, with the standard chance of a 3%-7% raise each year. At that rate it'll take almost a decade to get where I want to be salary-wise, whereas if I waited until top wage (a little under 8 months) to accept a supervisory position, I would be at about $80k to start off.

I guess I'll find out how flexible they are on common-sense stuff like this when I do meet with the wage negotiator. Good luck on your end.

We all know management plays games. I realized that the first day I was on the job. "We don't need any new preloaders at the moment, but we'll give you a call when we do," said my interviewer. Next morning, 3:45 AM: "Can you come in? We have an opening."

Then they only worked me about 3 days each week for the first month.

It's not a matter of playing games or not, it's a matter of what games are played.

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
If you're trying to lock in your fortune when you first get into management then you probably should stay put.

From what I have seen a promotion to friend/t sup will lead to approximately a 10 to 30 percent increase over your previous earnings depending on the part of the country you're in.

Your initial salary will not provide you with a comfortable living. Your efforts once promoted, the stock and how you invest will. Much has been made of the UPS management retiring millionaires. Many of those folks hypo present stock holdings to buy even more. That investment strategy coupled with steady reliable stock growth is what got them their millions.

My point to all this.The money is and will be fine if you invest wisely. If its all you're worried about at this point then you may not be mentally prepared for the challenges of management. Our people are tired of leadership for the wrong reason. Our future depends on our promoting people who are innovative in leading and developing people. The old days of beating our people like mules are gone. You have to make sure you are the right person for the job and that you actually enjoy leading and interacting with people daily. If so the money will take care of itself. Good Luck
Tie guy your posts always seem to impress me even if I disagree. I've always enjoyed working for the Management you describe but as we all can see UPS has been for several years losing this type of talent and succumbing to mediocre brass, coupled with many older head honcho's who I like to refer to as deadmen walking because they have little incentive left to lead they're just hanging on doing short time till they retire. So kudos to you Sir for laying it out there for the undecided recruit.

T

Thebrowntruth

Did anyone ask the first question that came to my mind...Why is there a shortage of supervisors in your area? No shortage of people waiting for driver jobs yet a shortage waiting to be sups? Does the best ride at Disneyland have the shortest line?

Too much pay for a unskilled position. Drivers should not be paid more than mechanics. As drivers you have to pay for socks but as a mechanic we have to purchase $25000 in tools.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Tie Guy----good post--it is a good representation of some current management people's outlook--including mine.I have just retired from UPS after 34 years and it is nice to be able to retire at 55 with some financial freedom.........and this is after going through a divorce and giving up 1/2!!

Management is not for everybody------but there are some tax advantages if you use your vehicle and you also have to factor in the 1/2 months bonus at the end of the year and of course the MIP--------the way it was put to me was..."It is like UPS is putting money aside for you every month and giving it to you at the end of the year"-----it can be $4000-6000 for a supervisor and 2x's that for a manager--it does add up over a few years---and before you know it, you have alot of UPS Stock that has increased in value---maybe even split one of these days in the future depending on what UPS invests in and if we don't upset any more customers with any type of work stoppage during the next contract negotiations.

My point for any new person going into management-----look long term and not just waht the change in the 1st year will be.

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
Too much pay for a unskilled position. Drivers should not be paid more than mechanics. As drivers you have to pay for socks but as a mechanic we have to purchase $25000 in tools.
I respect the time and investment it took you sir to reach your position but you obiviously dont respect the people(drivers) who through their sweat deliver millions of packages a day. Their production rate puts food on your plate not the other way around. P.S. and to all the part timers who work their butts off too I salute you and keep on reaching upward, in this company you limit yourself.

P

paidtoomuch

I respect the time and investment it took you sir to reach your position but you obiviously dont respect the people(drivers) who through their sweat deliver millions of packages a day. Their production rate puts food on your plate not the other way around. P.S. and to all the part timers who work their butts off too I salute you and keep on reaching upward, in this company you limit yourself.

Dude, I value both of you. But,... I gotta agree with Billy. He is not saying you are not worth a good wage, he is just saying your wage in out of line for the skill level, and what other like-workers are paid.

Every time I drive by a construction site, I see light brown men working harder than big Brown's men. I really don't think they make as much. I know drivers work hard, but you don't work on your cars, or load them, or fill them with oil, etc. You take them out loaded and return them unloaded.

Try roofing a house, hauling bricks up ladders, paying for your vehicle and maintenance like FedEx, etc. etc.

Think about it, for the effort required, for the education level required, for the skill level required, had you gone anywhere else in your life, you would never have made the same for the same type work. The unions in America do get you the dough, but they cost the buyer and consumer exta, uneeded, expense. As a consumer of any product, I want it cheap. While I have a heart, I really never purchase a service or a product thinking that I hope I pay more so that the union worker get a good wage -- I never think this way.

Billy can fix my truck, even if he never worked on it, he can fix it with the proper diagnostic tools. A driver can load my moving van, unload it, and drive it. You will never get me to say that I would pay you anywhere near what I would pay Billy to fix my truck.

The reason I value your work is that I have an emotional interest in what you do. I see you go out in the morning, I see you return in the evening. We are all Big Brown. However, if you changed uniforms and reported to another company to do second-by-the-second same work, I would never agree that you should be paid what you get at UPS. I'm not saying I'd give you $10 an hour, I'm just saying you'd never get $27 or so.

I do think that the hubrats are underpaid. We don't get good people anymore because of it. I would lower your rate and give more to the hub and center PT rats.

Again, all respect is given, but I do think you are paid way too much. If not for the union, you wouldn't get that much.

Then again, don't get me started on what center and division managers get for their effort.

ups_vette

When I went into supervision from driving, my starting salary was $700 a month, $350 every 2 weeks. plus 1/2 month Christmass bonus. That was in 1969, when as a driver I was earning $3.20 an hour.

O

Outside looking in

Greetings all....Love this forum. Complete outsider here. Just wondering what the pay scale is for a supervisor ie preload, dock, etc who are not currently with UPS now. I see on website you guys are hiring. Also do the Sups" work shifts ( 3-11, 4-12, etc, like the loaders. Regards,

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
...I gotta agree with Billy. He is not saying you are not worth a good wage, he is just saying your wage in out of line for the skill level, and what other like-workers are paid.

Every time I drive by a construction site, I see light brown men working harder than big Brown's men. I really don't think they make as much. I know drivers work hard, but you don't work on your cars, or load them, or fill them with oil, etc. You take them out loaded and return them unloaded.

Try roofing a house, hauling bricks up ladders, paying for your vehicle and maintenance like FedEx, etc. etc...."

Billy & Anon are right. Face it, that is why everyone wants to be a driver.

I look at what drivers are paid vs. what the 3am-9am unloaders are paid ($8.50 / hour) and EVERYONE here MUST admit, that is laughable. If it were not for the benefits, I would not TOUCH that job for under $20 / hour. And I would take a drivers job for far less than that.

I am not making any comments about drivers, at all, one way or the other. But a full-time mechanic IS skilled labor, and should without any doubt be making more $$$ than the drivers. Do they?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Greetings all....Love this forum. Complete outsider here. Just wondering what the pay scale is for a supervisor ie preload, dock, etc who are not currently with UPS now. I see on website you guys are hiring. Also do the Sups" work shifts ( 3-11, 4-12, etc, like the loaders. Regards,

My p/t sup has many years with the company and makes $14/hr. I consider this to be underpaid for his time with the co.

browniehound

I have posted before that unless you have the smarts, desire, education, and the intangibles to make it to division manager then I would suggest staying put.

As a driver, once you park your package car on-line and punch-out on a friday before vacation you can forget about UPS for a week. Do you think a center manager enjoys that luxury before his week in Cancun??

In a candid conversation with my center manager, who I respect and like told me about his responsibilties and what it takes to run a center (he garnered more respect from me with his list of responsibilties than I thought possible!).

I responded with a comment about how I like that when I punch-out UPS and work don't affect me. He responded by saying "Think about J Overtime", (he was refering to a full-time driver that is scheduled evey day to do EAMS before his route and that equates to about 57-58 hours per week), his and my pay do not differ by that much.

This conversation made me realize its better to stay put.

I would rather work the OT and be paid for my certain time, instead of getting stuck working 80 hours (because our center manager works more that that) and not being compensated fairly for it. My center manager told me he comes in on weekends! I don't want any part of that unless I'm being paid OT or I'm headed up that mangement ladder.

In package operations, the center team is working many more hours than I do and they are not compensated for that. I could not live with that. I'd rather bust my but physically (instead of mentally and physically) and stay a driver. This way I get paid for my time.

I sorry, but I think on-car sup has to be the worst job at UPS, bar none. I'm sorry to offend every on-car(especially mine:dissapointed:) that reads this forum, but its my opinion.

You are there 1.5 hours before my start time and you are still there when I get in at night. You have to train otherwise normal people(newhires) to do a route. It kills you because 50 stops must be taken of this route and given to the rest of your group. Now these 3 drivers that you gave the 50 stops to are all over 10 hours.

How can you win? You have 1 driver that you are with dispatched with 6 hours and the other 3 in your group over 10! Makes you look like a putz, right?

Makes me think driving is the best job at UPS. If I could do something about the pain I feel everyday, then it would be no question driving is the best job!

kwed95

former pre-load p/t sup
ok its been awhile, but did friend/t management do any kind of lawsuit like the p/t supes for no overtime pay? When I left I heard rumblings of a friend/t lawsuit...anything?

my friend/t was happy for me when I told him I was leaving to be a teacher because of the time I would have to spend with my family.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
BrownieHound - Not sure your belief that a Division manager is worth it. Stock Options is what makes that job worth it and those have been worthless in the last 5 years or so. Before that, they were nice.
It would be better to say, unless you think you can become a District Manager.
I agree with Tieguy, don't go into management for the money. Go into management because you like working with people and planning things out and making them happen.

chester farmer

IDOLESS,

Our first day part-time training sups make more then that and they are high school kids. Either your bud is a flub or its different everywhere. I know some guys fail the test although I dont know how. It is easy and requires little thought.