Prospective Employee

Raygun

Hi all. The company I'm currently at has been hit hard by the downturn in the aviation industry and I am expecting to be laid off in the very near future. I am trying to get ahead of things and was told by some colleagues to look into UPS. Already passed the application/phone interview phase and I have a computer-based test for a PE Mechanic position scheduled for this week.
The job is IAM union with top pay after 2 years. Benefits are paid. Also the recruiter mentioned a pension.

Can any PE Mechanics on here tell me what a typical day (I know few days in maintenance are "typical") looks like? Is the IAM pension decent and is it funded at this moment? I'm assuming the warehouses aren't air-conditioned (used to this), what kind of temps can I expect? Any other advice/thoughts on PE Mechanic position and working for UPS in general would be appreciated.

542thruNthru

Not going to find many PE mechanics on here.
I suggest using the search function for PE Mechanics. It has threads like this.

Raygun

Not going to find many PE mechanics on here.
I suggest using the search function for PE Mechanics. It has threads like this.

Can you answer any non-PE questions?
Is there OT available in most departments?
Do you get a shift premium/bonus for working 2nds or 3rds? Do you guys work on Christmas day? How is general morale at your hub?

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Do you get a shift premium/bonus for working 2nds or 3rds? Do you guys work on Christmas day? How is general morale at your hub?
the Morale at all hubs is at rock bottom levels. It’s like End of Days type stuff at my hub 24/7 365.

542thruNthru

Can't answer much because areas have different contracts. I can say we don't work Christmas (yet) but we work Christmas eve. Your holidays could be different than ours(drivers).
I can say morale sucks every where. You better have thick skin and be able to forget things.

barnyard

KTM rider
Those would be excellent questions to ask at the interview.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Not PE but I am a I.A.M auto mechanic. They get the same pay and benefits and contract we have so I can answer questions on that. The starting pay now is in the low 30s and tops about in my area at 38.26 I think.. for overnight work we get a tiny differential so our pay rate is 38.43. The pension depends on what part of the country you are in. The I.A.M shops out west decided to do there own pension and from what I heard it’s not in great shape, but in the northeast we are in the regular I.A.M multi employer fund and ours is about 90 percent funded.

OT is very location and conditions specific, right now because of Coronapeak our P.E is running a few sat and sunday shifts for sort coverage and maintenance.

I don’t think I have ever heard of a UPS hub with A/C

The typical day for PE depends on your shift. Heavy maintenance is done during the dayshift in between sorts in my building and at night the P.E guys do inspections and maintain the non belt items like bulk carts and rolling slides and such, the are also there to fix Anything that should break during the sort.

Morale seams To be a lot better in P.E in my hub, the current package car shop morale in my hub is the lowest I have seen in anyplace I have worked in my career, so a Lot better is not saying much.

Last edited:

Raygun

Not PE but I am a I.A.M auto mechanic. They get the same pay and benefits and contract we have so I can answer questions on that. The starting pay now is in the low 30s and tops about in my area at 38.26 I think.. for overnight work we get a tiny differential so our pay rate is 38.43. The pension depends on what part of the country you are in. The I.A.M shops out west decided to do there own pension and from what I heard it’s not in great shape, but in the northeast we are in the regular I.A.M multi employer fund and ours is about 90 percent funded.

OT is very location and conditions specific, right now because of Coronapeak our P.E is running a few sat and sunday shifts for sort coverage and maintenance.

I don’t think I have ever heard of a UPS hub with A/C

The typical day for PE depends on your shift. Heavy maintenance is done during the dayshift in between sorts in my building and at night the P.E guys do inspections and maintain the non belt items like bulk carts and rolling slides and such, the are also there to fix Anything that should break during the sort.

Morale seams To be a lot better in P.E in my hub, the current package car shop morale in my hub is the lowest I have seen in anyplace I have worked in my career, so a Lot better is not saying much.
Appreciate the detailed reply. Crazy the differintial isn't even 20 cents. Very strange.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Appreciate the detailed reply. Crazy the differintial isn't even 20 cents. Very strange.

everything At UPS is geared toward the senior guys and they tend to work days.

Anyway, good luck, P.E Is a good job at UPS, I considered bidding it a Few times just to get away from the bull:censored2: They make the package car mechanics go through, but at this point I am one retirement away from a day shift tractor job so I will probably stay automotive