Pru 401(K) just started showing up in paycheck?

upschuck

With a retirement account, you don't have to disclose it on any fafsa or some other things that require financial assets, where non retirement accounts do count those things.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
With a retirement account, you don't have to disclose it on any fafsa or some other things that require financial assets, where non retirement accounts do count those things.
Well that's something I sure as hell won't have to worry about.

Government aid for college will be about zero for my kids I'm sure.

joesmith

Just consider yourself lucky i bet there are dozens of old timers around that building who wished they started the 401k earlier.. i know at the moment you were pissed and didn't want anyone messing with you money..but dont be old man in the center with less than 100k in the 401k and cant afford to retire.

start saving $100 a month every year at the age of 25 in a 401k or ira
and at the age of 65 you could be a millionaire.. i wish i had

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
start saving $100 a month every year at the age of 25 in a 401k or ira
and at the age of 65 you could be a millionaire.. i wish i had

Um, no. One hundred dollars a month is $1200 a year. Or $48,000 over the course of 40 years. You'd need a VERY aggressive investment strategy to turn 48k into One million dollars

F

FrigidAdCorrector

My son recently started his first "real" job and one of the first things that I advised him to do was to start his 401k. The company (Cobham) offers a full match up to 4% and will match an additional 1% if he bumps that up to 6%. He chose to start at 4% as he has a ton of student loan debt to whittle down but he hopes to be able to go to 6% within the next few years as his salary increases.
Student loans are going to be the biggest thing stopping me from saving. These universities love to talk about how they are preparing us for the future. But they're preparing many of us for bankruptcy.
Government aid for college will be about zero for my kids I'm sure.
You'd be surprised. Unless both you and your wife make an absolute boatload of money it's pretty easy to get financial aid. My mom makes great money, but I can still get about 75% of my tuition covered by loans. Sure it sucks having to pay it all back. But it's better than no help.
There's a huge student loan bubble building and something will have to be done in the next 20-30 years.
Something needs to be done now. I think that bubble burst is a lot closer than many think. Shame on the schools for driving costs up. Corporations aren't the only greedy ones.

Brownslave688

Student loans are going to be the biggest thing stopping me from saving. These universities love to talk about how they are preparing us for the future. But they're preparing many of us for bankruptcy.

You'd be surprised. Unless both you and your wife make an absolute boatload of money it's pretty easy to get financial aid. My mom makes great money, but I can still get about 75% of my tuition covered by loans. Sure it sucks having to pay it all back. But it's better than no help.

Something needs to be done now. I think that bubble burst is a lot closer than many think. Shame on the schools for driving costs up. Corporations aren't the only greedy ones.
Paragraph two has lead to paragraph three.

I can't really blame the schools. I blame the government loan programs. Tuition was largely kept in check until the government started backing loans.

Brownslave688

Um, no. One hundred dollars a month is $1200 a year. Or $48,000 over the course of 40 years. You'd need a VERY aggressive investment strategy to turn 48k into One million dollars
40 years would give you somewhere about 700k at 10% growth. Aggressive yes. Unheard of no. 45 years would get you there.

Brownslave688

10% is possible but unrealistic. You should plan for less with the possibility of being pleasantly surprised with more money. 5-8% is probably more likely.
I agree and like I said yes 10% is aggressive but more than anything it shows how important years are not just money.

If you save those $100 a month from 25 on you'll Likely be better off than if you start throwing thousands at it when you're 50+.

Big J

Wow Jack that is really interesting, I have never heard of that about the 401 k rules and regs! Thanks for the post!! In response to Post #15

Last edited: