punished for bereavement??

chopstic

I've had a few sick days in the last 9 months and i believe my next sick day may warrant a "verbal warning" so starting the disciplinary steps. I would rather avoid this, but my grandmother has passed away and i would like to attend the funeral. Does bereavement leave count as an occurrance towards disciplinary steps?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Shouldn't matter. Bereavement is seperate from everything. You may have to prove it because of your track record.

chopstic

last month my sup told me i had 4 occurances....

ps... I searched both the national and the western agreement and couldn't find anything about funerals or leave

browndevil

last month my sup told me i had 4 occurances....

ps... I searched both the national and the western agreement and couldn't find anything about funerals or leave
You get paid time off to attend your grandmother's funeral. It is in the contract.
May she rest in peace

And on a side note, we get 9 sick days a year. When we reach the 10th then start the dicisiplinary process.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've had a few sick days in the last 9 months and i believe my next sick day may warrant a "verbal warning" so starting the disciplinary steps. I would rather avoid this, but my grandmother has passed away and i would like to attend the funeral. Does bereavement leave count as an occurrance towards disciplinary steps?

No. You are afforded days off in relation to whether the service is local or if you have to travel.

My father just passed away (12/10) and we will be holding the service after Christmas. He is being cremated and delaying the service is for the convenience of those who can't make it before then (namely me). I will be taking 12/26, 29 and 30 as bereavement days and will be paid for both New Years Eve and Day and will probably take a personal day 1/2.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Here is the actual language:

In the event of a death of a member of the employee�s family, a seniority
employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other
bereavement rite.

Members of the employee�s family means spouse, child, or step-child,
grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and
father-in-law and step-parents.

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken
between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral
provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. In
cases involving the funeral of a relative listed in paragraph 2 above, an
employee who attends the funeral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a
minimum of two (2) days off.

An employee shall be allowed one (1) day off to attend the funeral or other
bereavement rite of a sister-in-law or a brother-in-law. Reimbursement for
this day shall be the same as provided below.

Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional
day is required for travel, except as provided above. In no event will total
compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled work days. The employee
will be reimbursed at eight (8) times the employee�s straight-time hourly rate
for each day lost from work for those employees whose regular scheduled
workweek is five (5) days, and ten (10) times the straight-time hourly rate for
those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is four (4) days. Part-time
employees will receive the same benefits as above, paid at four (4) times
the employee�s hourly rate. Better conditions contained in Supplements,
Riders or Addenda will be maintained by present employees. All employees
hired after July 2, 1982 will be covered by the above language.

Bad Gas!

Bottom line: you won't get diciplined for funeral time....You shouldn't have that many sick days in a month.If I were the sup I would catch heck for you..Just suck it up with no misses for a few months and you will be back to normal..

satellitedriver

No. You are afforded days off in relation to whether the service is local or if you have to travel.

My father just passed away (12/10) and we will be holding the service after Christmas. He is being cremated and delaying the service is for the convenience of those who can't make it before then (namely me). I will be taking 12/26, 29 and 30 as bereavement days and will be paid for both New Years Eve and Day and will probably take a personal day 1/2.
My sincere condolences to both of you.
May perpetual light shine upon them.
12/10 was my Fathers birthday, he would have been 98.
12yrs have past since his death, but I still hear his voice and feel his strength.

chopstic

Bottom line: you won't get diciplined for funeral time....You shouldn't have that many sick days in a month.If I were the sup I would catch heck for you..Just suck it up with no misses for a few months and you will be back to normal..

sorry... that wasn't 4 occurances in one month. that was 4 occurances in the last 9 months. For some reason I thought we were only allowed 5 occurances before the disciplinary progression started.

Also... I am part time. The quoted agreement seemed to only cover full-timers is there a section for part timers?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Sorry to hear about your father, upstate. Hope your time off puts you at ease, may he rest in peace.

gandydancer

... The quoted agreement seemed to only cover full-timers is there a section for part timers?

Sheesh. Holding your hand here, "...Part-time employees will receive the same benefits as above, paid at four (4) times the employee's hourly rate..." The search function is your friend.