PVDs and the contract

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Preload does not wrap up before the seasonals drive the first loaded uhauls out to PVD drop points. They take the loaded uhaul out, and another empty is parked immediately in it's place. The seasonal returns to the building around preload wrap after emptying the first uhaul at the PVD drop point, jumps in the now loaded 2nd Uhaul and drives it out to the PVD storage facility.
Sounds like a very efficient operation?
The shuttling seasonals are essentially doing driver "extra" work since they return to the building before preload wrap...Seniority drivers could easily do this, but management doesn't want to use up thier hours.
Everything a seasonal driver does would be construed as "extra work" most of the year, but not from November 1st thru January 15th.

Screenshot_20211205-173340_Word.jpg

I understand the semantics behind your complaint, I just don't think there is any contractual language to support your argument.

Last edited:

AKCoverMan

So the Teamsters couldn’t get out in front of this once they figured out it was only for
LU 804 and 2019
Who dropped the ball
This arbitration is specifically about one locals grievance and the decision would apply only to that local. But it sets a big precedent for every other local and JCs to file similar grievances. In the end I believe the parties will have to come to contractual agreement as to how, where, when, etc that PVDs are utilized.

My wild ass guess is that rather than go thru tons more grievance processes that one or both sides will propose language to cover PVDs in the upcoming cycle meanwhile company will continue to use and abuse PVDs as much as possible.

This arbitration is specifically about one locals grievance and the decision would apply only to that local. But it sets a big precedent for every other local and JCs to file similar grievances. In the end I believe the parties will have to come to contractual agreement as to how, where, when, etc that PVDs are utilized.

My wild ass guess is that rather than go thru tons more grievance processes that one or both sides will propose language to cover PVDs in the upcoming cycle meanwhile company will continue to use and abuse PVDs as much as possible.
Oz will not roll over like the current administration

UPSER1987

Shuttling is the easy money. Plus gets you off earlier (less night delivery), and uses up your 60 hours as well.
That’s why it’s done by seasonals. Makes perfect business sense. I wouldn’t pay someone 40 bucks an hour when anyone else can do that “ work”. For 40 bucks an hour, I’d want my moneys worth.

nWo

A lot of our seasonal drivers are pretty :censored2:. Guys that have been DQd 2-3 times. They legit wouldn't be able to handle anything other than a shuttle.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
You think part of the reason seasonal drivers are dropping off the PVD UHauls is because they can't be trusted to run an actual route? And UPS needs bid drivers to be running their bid routes?
They're doing it to save money on mileage for pvd's. Most pvd's live in the area they deliver, so no need to drive to the center when a cheap driver can just bring the work to them.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
You think part of the reason seasonal drivers are dropping off the PVD UHauls is because they can't be trusted to run an actual route? And UPS needs bid drivers to be running their bid routes?
Do you have any proof, or personal experience, of PVD's being such bad workers/drivers?
Why do you feel we can't be trusted?
Another poster mentioned, "driving school"? Imo, if someone needs to go to driving school in order to properly drive THEIR OWN VEHICLE they have no business applying AND I HOPE any UPS manager would be able to tell that someone is this deficient.
I've never come across a "bad" UPS driver in all my 64 years. Never ONCE have I seen one driving in a way for concern. This speaks VERY highly of the drivers NOT UPS IMO.
Finally, and I don't know what the protocol is for the RPCD employees but, needing a school to teach someone how to drive a step van seems like a waste. I drove one for a long time starting at 17 yo and never needed schooling to do so. It's just a truck with no rear view.

542thruNthru

Do you have any proof, or personal experience, of PVD's being such bad workers/drivers?
Another poster mentioned, "driving school"? Imo, if someone needs to go to driving school in order to properly drive THEIR OWN VEHICLE they have no business applying AND I HOPE any UPS manager would be able to tell that someone is this deficient.
I've never come across a "bad" UPS driver in all my 64 years. Never ONCE have I seen one driving in a way for concern. This speaks VERY highly of the drivers NOT UPS IMO.
Finally, and I don't know what the protocol is for the RPCD employees but, needing a school to teach someone how to drive a step van seems like a waste. I drove one for a long time starting at 17 yo and never needed schooling to do so. It's just a truck with no rear view.
1638576354415.png

giphy-4.gif

Brownsocks

Just a dog
PVDs have to be getting expensive for UPS. They are wrecking constantly in my district
We do a week of school and a 30 working day qualification period where we get disqualified if we crack a mirror. Out of a dozen people trying to qualify as a package car driver only 1/2 or less will make it, and that is by design.

Driving a "step van" is a small part of a much bigger picture a UPS driver has to paint every day, and I bet I could casually drive down streets with ease that would make your butthole pucker up.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
PVDs have to be getting expensive for UPS. They are wrecking constantly in my district

We do a week of school and a 30 working day qualification period where we get disqualified if we crack a mirror. Out of a dozen people trying to qualify as a package car driver only 1/2 or less will make it, and that is by design.

Driving a "step van" is a small part of a much bigger picture a UPS driver has to paint every day, and I bet I could casually drive down streets with ease that would make your butthole pucker up.
And do it for year after year.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.

You assume a lot. I drove a home service refrigerator truck in Brooklyn and the Bronx for two years after driving the step van. Never had an accident in either one. Not so much a a brush off. I know all of you drivers thinks you're better at anything than us lowly PVD drivers and that's fine. It's complete BS but it's fine.
BTW, you assume your driving could make my butt pucker? You don't even know. Go ahead and drive that truck in NYC. The only one with a sore sphincter will be you. Can't faze me pal. No way.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
You assume a lot. I drove a home service refrigerator truck in Brooklyn and the Bronx for two years after driving the step van. Never had an accident in either one. Not so much a a brush off. I know all of you drivers thinks you're better at anything than us lowly PVD drivers and that's fine. It's complete BS but it's fine.
BTW, you assume your driving could make my butt pucker? You don't even know. Go ahead and drive that truck in NYC. The only one with a sore sphincter will be you. Can't faze me pal. No way.
Anyone who drives in NYC or Boston has to be a little nuts. Beginning to think I-25 south of Denver should be added to that list.

nWo

Sorry I wasn't :censored2:ting on PVDs here. I was trying to say the reason seasonal drivers are running shuttles is because bid drivers have bid routes to run. And it wouldn't make any sense for UPS to have the bid drivers run the shuttles while dumping seasonals on routes they have no knowledge of.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Go get 'em tiger. Lol.