PVDs and the contract

35years

Gravy route
How do PVDs start before you guys? Also how does your local allow more FT seasonals than actual FT members?
Seasonals shuttle volume to storage lockers before the sort ends. Then they shuttle again at the end of sort. The local is fighting this.

Since there is no language, there is currently no "say" by the local on how many PVDs can be utilized.

This will happen everywhere next year if PVDs continue. Nothing to stop shutting volume to PVDs 3,4 or 5 times a day. It is not dependent on sort completion. As it is, they are filling huge rentals with volume for PVDs. Drivers are getting less than 8 hours, management is changing pay codes without permission ....

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
How do PVDs start before you guys? Also how does your local allow more FT seasonals than actual FT members?
Had a pvd show up at my house at 6:30 in the morning last week
I asked him what time they started he said 5:30 in a parking lot across from ups with some giant portable spotlights

542thruNthru

Seasonals shuttle volume to storage lockers before the sort ends. Then they shuttle again at the end of sort. The local is fighting this.

Since there is no language, there is currently no "say" by the local on how many PVDs can be utilized.

This will happen everywhere next year if PVDs continue.
Seasonals use company uhauls to shuttle? Wow. It's members here that do that. PVDs start around 11am here. Because we shuttle the stuff to storage units here.

Are the seasonals that are shuttling PVDs?

35years

Gravy route
Seasonals use company uhauls to shuttle? Wow. It's members here that do that. PVDs start around 11am here. Because we shuttle the stuff to storage units here.

Are the seasonals that are shuttling PVDs?
Yes.
It is being fought.

Unless it is won, it will expand, possibly nationwide. It is very cost effective for the company.

542thruNthru

Yes.
It is being fought.

Unless it is won, it will expand. It is very cost effective for the company.
Small building? I'm guessing it must be because in a large building this seems like it would be much harder to do. Seasonal usage is usually spelled out in supplemental agreements or riders. Definitely something that should have been put in a while ago..PVDs is hard though since the union didn't agree with them and filed grievances. I assume they didn't want to negotiate terms for them when they didn't agree with them.

35years

Gravy route
Small building? I'm guessing it must be because in a large building this seems like it would be much harder to do. Seasonal usage is usually spelled out in supplemental agreements or riders. Definitely something that should have been put in a while ago..PVDs is hard though since the union didn't agree with them and filed grievances. I assume they didn't want to negotiate terms for them when they didn't agree with them.
Not small.

PVDs are the wild west.

No language to speek of, since this situation was not anticipated, or more likely under the table "negotiated".

If locals don't see the danger here they are clueless.

We need national language

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
I think they just load them in a pup pull it across the street and let the scabs have at it
This guy says he fills up 2 or 3 times a day sometimes going to the same houses 2 or 3 times a day
Yep,

It is like running a parallel center/sort.

Pvds unload and sort out the pup or rental. Pkgs are PALed with correct PVD route in the hub, then say 10 rentals go out to remote locations for PVDs to sort out ...several times a day.

Tons of seniority OT and jobs is transformed into non- benefit/pension contributing hours.

Seasonals and PVDs doing sort and delivery... hours before driver start time.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Yep,

It is like running a parallel center/sort.

Pvds unload and sort out the pup or rental. Pkgs are PALed with correct PVD route in the hub, then say 10 rentals go out to remote locations for PVDs to sort out ...several times a day.

Tons of seniority OT and jobs is transformed into non- benefit/pension contributing hours.

Seasonals and PVDs doing sort and delivery... hours before driver start time.
So much different than here. How are PVDs allowed to sort/load/shuttle and deliver. Blown away to be honest.

35years

Gravy route
The Union should understand that this is the plan if a strike happens.

Social media can be used to shame/ name uber type scabs. Uber types would be easier to " scare off".

Pickett lines have to be expanded to the storage facilities/remote locations.

35years

Gravy route
So much different than here. How are PVDs allowed to sort/load/shuttle and deliver. Blown away to be honest.
You are 1 year away from the same. PVDs don't technically shuttle, but seasonal drivers do. But the 804 decision basically says they are equivalent, right?
Seasonal drivers who do nothing but shuttle boxes to PVDs.

542thruNthru

The Union should understand that this is the plan if a strike happens.

Social media can be used to shame/ name uber type scabs. Uber types would be easier to " scare off".

Pickett lines have to be expanded to the storage facilities/remote locations.
22% voted on the last strike vote. Ask yourself how many of your coworkers would actually show up to picket or would just sit at home and treat it like a vacation?

Expanding picket lines passed UPS facilities I believe would be less than impossible. It hurts me to say it but not many are as ready to strike as they pretend they are because they don't really believe there will be a strike

35years

Gravy route
22% voted on the last strike vote. Ask yourself how many of your coworkers would actually show up to picket or would just sit at home and treat it like a vacation?

Expanding picket lines passed UPS facilities I believe would be less than impossible. It hurts me to say it but not many are as ready to strike as they pretend they are because they don't really believe there will be a strike
So if not a picket line, one guy at each storage facility with a camera/ phone to document publicly who is scabbing. Doxing is not illegal and will scare the crap out of scabs...Especially if it is a coordinated effort.

Social media will be a powerful tool.

No one wants to be called out on thier social media

542thruNthru

So if not a picket line, one guy at each storage facility with a camera/ phone to document publicly who is scabbing. Doxing is not illegal and will scare the crap out of scabs...Especially if it is a coordinated effort.

Social media will be a powerful tool.

No one wants to be called out on thier social media
This is very true but also hinges on the support of the public. Judging by the way social media works we'll have half on our side and the other half demonizing us.

35years

Gravy route
This is very true but also hinges on the support of the public. Judging by the way social media works we'll have half on our side and the other half demonizing us.
True,

But individually, if you were a scab and were called one (with pictures) on facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. for all your relatives, friends etc. to see....

You would think twice about continuing your temporary scabbing. Or even if you just heard of, or saw another shamed.

This (public shaming) doesn't take public consensus to be effective.

Historically in Germany they would post names and pictures of scabs publicly on light posts in public squares. It was effective. How much more so online.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

True,

But individually, if you were a scab and were called one (with pictures) on facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. for all your relatives, friends etc. to see....

You would think twice about continuing your temporary scabbing. Or even if you just heard of, or saw another shamed.

This (public shaming) doesn't take public consensus to be effective.

Historically in Germany they would post names and pictures of scabs publicly on light posts in public squares. It was effective. How much more so online.
These family members and friends have to be following these accounts. It's not as easy as it sounds. Yes if major news networks pick it up then maybe but that's a big if.

nWo

Idk how much of the public are going to support UPS drivers making $40+/hr, full pension, top of the line health insurance striking over seasonal employees.

Not to mention it would take 5-6-7 PVDs to do the workload of one driver? Plus a army of scab unloaders, loaders, clerks, Hazmat responders, tug operaters. UPS isn't going to be able to do much of anything during a strike. The manpower simply won't be there. UPS will lose accounts that it will simply never get back. Younger drivers would be laid off for God knows how long. I'd say it make more sense to negotiate a contract instead of looking to strike. A strike would do permanent damage to the Teamsters and UPS. Both Sean and Carol know this. Neither of them want any sort of work stoppage.

nWo

Y'all think Tim Cook will support us during a strike or do you think he will find someone else to deliver his iphones?