Question about job titles and does that mean you only do that job

palmbeach

fourtrack
we had the same scenerios in the uk,, one minute ,you in the primery, then helpin a loader in a back of a unit, then onto irregs, then belt clearing or upon smalls, they call it multi tasking,, over the 13 yrs i was on ups ,it didnt improve, they even tried to hav a guy scannin 2 sepperate feeds on nxt 2 load bays together, and 1 stacker doin 2 feeds, our union reps didnt help, as they were on a nice steady easy task, and what you said in private to them ,got caarried back to the managment,, so we just worked to rule,,

palmbeach

fourtrack
best thing to do with dud sorters, mongs as we called them in uk, is put them on irregs ,can pulling ,tippin mail bags, hold areas, cods, oh and dear old offload, but keep em away from scanners,, unless you the local call center fones ringin all day. x rays ok for them too,

RogerThat

Operations Supervisor
I do not always run belts within my hub. I have experience running just about everything but irregs, and I do agree that it depends what area of the operation that you are running/sending help to that will dictate the kind of help you send. When in the outbound, I will always keep my star employees. I will admit that it is out of greed, and I am selfish when it comes to staffing. If someone needs help I will send it if I am able to do so, but I am not going to give up my horses in the load. A lot of times employees become irritated when they are sent to another belt to clean up a mess after busting their behinds all day or night long. I will send the least best employees and make sure they view it as punishment for not carrying their weight. Then again, some do not care where they are moved to throughout the sort. The real reason for sending the problem employees away is because it helps the production number in your own area. I want to keep the most productive employees coded to my area because they will process more work in a shorter amount of time than that of a problem employee or new hire. When I send somone to another area I make sure I always code them to that belt for whatever amount of time they were leant. Sometimes I will call my area coordinator and ask him where he could use help just to get the slow loaders off of the clock for my area. Like I said, my reasons may sound greedy but it is my job to ensure the success of my area. Half the time, any supervisor receiving help is happy just to have another set of hands and legs on board.

1000RR

I work in a small center with about 10 people. Our management team says that they can put us wherever they want. A few of us have filed grievances under article 22.4 and have won. Our supplement also has a "past practice" cause. Check with your BA for advice.