Question about lunches

Theichii

I'm asking this because someone told me I should have taken my lunch today. Say you start at 9am and work till 1630 (7.5 straight hours), do you still take a lunch just to say you did or do you call it quits and get your guaranteed 8 hours anyway. Just a question of preferences. It seems pretty silly to work for 7.5 hours w/o a lunch and then take an hour unpaid to get the same thing and get home later. I mean i could understand if I were to work till 17:15 then take a lunch because that's 15 mins. of overtime. But if i'm getting the same guaranteed 8 should I even bother?

jimstud

Banned
if you work 7.5 and add 1 hour lunch that is 8.5 so ther is a .5 hour overtime you qre giving back to brown every day.do you take your breaks or do you run them also?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

if you work 7.5 and add 1 hour lunch that is 8.5 so ther is a .5 hour overtime you qre giving back to brown every day.do you take your breaks or do you run them also?

I think your math is suspect, Big John. A 9am start with an hour unpaid lunch would mean that you would not start OT until 6pm. OP was finished at 1630. Why would you want him to sit until 1800 when there would be no difference in his paid day? He is guaranteed 8 hours pay so it would make more sense IMO for him to punch out at 1630. The only problem with getting done with less than 8 hours worked is you will only get credit for actual hours worked for pension purposes, so his paycheck would show 7.5 hours worked with .5 hours pay guarantee which would give him his 8 hours.

Billy

And I hear that will effect your pension in the years to come. I would go home if it did not benefit me to stay. If it did, I'd stay. Even if it was just 30 minutes of overtime. That's what, like $5000 more a year or so.

I can speak for feeder (705) where we are to take our lunch between the beginning of the fourth hour and the end of the sixth hour. We can work a 5.99 without taking a lunch which means we have to punch out no later than 5.99 hours from punch in. If you go 6 you better take a lunch.

raceanoncr

Why don't we all just ask our Senators and Representatives to knock this lunch crap off for everybody? Why not let everyone do whatever they want? Why can't I just write my own ticket?

Why do I work here? I like the money but not THAT much money! I want to work but not THAT much work! I just want 6 hours a day and get paid for 8! THAT'S what I signed up for, dammit! I've got a life too, ya know!

I want to do what's right, FOR ME, that is! Geez!

Theichii

Why don't we all just ask our Senators and Representatives to knock this lunch crap off for everybody? Why not let everyone do whatever they want? Why can't I just write my own ticket?

Why do I work here? I like the money but not THAT much money! I want to work but not THAT much work! I just want 6 hours a day and get paid for 8! THAT'S what I signed up for, dammit! I've got a life too, ya know!

I want to do what's right, FOR ME, that is! Geez!

The sarcasm drips off of your post lol.

klein

Für Meno :)
This hasn't been mentioned yet :
If they pay you 8 garaunteed and you only work 7.5 hrs.
It will be just a matter of time, and they'll give you a nice extra workload !

brownrodster

But if i'm getting the same guaranteed 8 should I even bother?

Bother if you want to keep your job. Where I am at they will fire you for habitually skipping your lunch.

I got a warning letter recently for a lunch violation. They are real serious about lunches over here on the west coast because of the whole California lunch thing.

DS

Fenderbender
At the PCM when they ask whats the most important to do each day I
always say take your break.Its sacred to me,I enjoy it I will not give it up.

40 and out

In my center before the California lawsuit,they took out 50 Min for lunch no matter how much you took. Now they only take out what you put in as long as you put something in there. It can be 1 Min as long as something is there. For a while,we were threatened with being forced to take 50 min because a few drivers forgot to put in a lunch. God forbid we show up on the dreaded flavor of the month report.

JonFrum

I think your math is suspect, Big John. A 9am start with an hour unpaid lunch would mean that you would not start OT until 6pm. OP was finished at 1630. Why would you want him to sit until 1800 when there would be no difference in his paid day? He is guaranteed 8 hours pay so it would make more sense IMO for him to punch out at 1630. The only problem with getting done with less than 8 hours worked is you will only get credit for actual hours worked for pension purposes, so his paycheck would show 7.5 hours worked with .5 hours pay guarantee which would give him his 8 hours.
Theichii,

Does your Supplement say you must take an unpaid lunch between the fourth and sixth hour? (Otherwise it's a paid lunch.)

Does your Supplement guarantee you eight hours work, not eight hours pay? (Meaning you must actually stay and work the full eight hours if you want eight hours pay.)

Does your Supplement give pension credit for all paid hours (up to, say, forty hours a week max), or just for hours actually worked?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Take your lunch, per the contract all employees are required to take it. If you do not you are no different than any sup doing Teamster work. The contract is there for a reason, you do not get to pick and choose what articles you follow!!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Take your lunch, per the contract all employees are required to take it. If you do not you are no different than any sup doing Teamster work. The contract is there for a reason, you do not get to pick and choose what articles you follow!!

This is where I disagree. NE supplement says "we shall be allowed up to one hour for meal time"

That does not say we MUST or are required to take one hour, it says we are ALLOWED UP TO one hour.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Sorry, going by the central region spplement

"Employees shall be entitled to and REQUIRED to take an unpaid meal period between the third(3rd) and sixth(6th) hour of work.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Sorry, going by the central region spplement

"Employees shall be entitled to and REQUIRED to take an unpaid meal period between the third(3rd) and sixth(6th) hour of work.

Is there more that says how long the meal period would be? If not, then I would interpret this to mean if you take 10 minutes, record 10 minutes and good enough.

UPSGUY72

I'm asking this because someone told me I should have taken my lunch today. Say you start at 9am and work till 1630 (7.5 straight hours), do you still take a lunch just to say you did or do you call it quits and get your guaranteed 8 hours anyway. Just a question of preferences. It seems pretty silly to work for 7.5 hours w/o a lunch and then take an hour unpaid to get the same thing and get home later. I mean i could understand if I were to work till 17:15 then take a lunch because that's 15 mins. of overtime. But if i'm getting the same guaranteed 8 should I even bother?

Your required to take put and Hour lunch in you DIAD. IT's the law. If you actually don't work during that time is on you. However we usualy call these people runners and gunnesr and they screw routes up. IF you work 8 hr with out taking a break and put it in you DIAD management is going to think that everyone else should be able to do that route in the same time you do even after they actually take there break.