Question about Scheduling Time Off

aaapunk

Hi everyone, first time poster on the forum and nine year employee at UPS. I am having a bit of an issue with my full-time supervisor and was looking for some clarity. Last week I went to my part-time Supe and asked for him to put in for one of my vacation weeks. I told him that I wanted to work the scheduled vacation week, and take five days off over the next two months. I have no more Sick or Optional Days and need off a few nights, so rather than callout I wanted to give them notice. This practice had been allowed before in my hub, and I did not believe would be an issue at all, yet he told me he needed approval from the full-time supervisor. The next day he told me my request was denied and did not give me a reason. So I spoke to my shop steward, who told me that I could put in for a scheduled day off without pay. I went back to my part time Supervisor and explained with the steward had told me. Again, he said he needed to run it past the full-time supervisor. Well tonight I was told that my request was again denied, and that scheduled days without pay were not allowed. The full-time supervisor said he would be in tomorrow night, and if I wanted to I could speak to him with the shop steward. So I plan on speaking to him but I was wondering what grounds I have to stand on. Is this an issue that varies per department or hub? Any feedback would be appreciated!

UPSGUY72

Hi everyone, first time poster on the forum and nine year employee at UPS. I am having a bit of an issue with my full-time supervisor and was looking for some clarity. Last week I went to my part-time Supe and asked for him to put in for one of my vacation weeks. I told him that I wanted to work the scheduled vacation week, and take five days off over the next two months. I have no more Sick or Optional Days and need off a few nights, so rather than callout I wanted to give them notice. This practice had been allowed before in my hub, and I did not believe would be an issue at all, yet he told me he needed approval from the full-time supervisor. The next day he told me my request was denied and did not give me a reason. So I spoke to my shop steward, who told me that I could put in for a scheduled day off without pay. I went back to my part time Supervisor and explained with the steward had told me. Again, he said he needed to run it past the full-time supervisor. Well tonight I was told that my request was again denied, and that scheduled days without pay were not allowed. The full-time supervisor said he would be in tomorrow night, and if I wanted to I could speak to him with the shop steward. So I plan on speaking to him but I was wondering what grounds I have to stand on. Is this an issue that varies per department or hub? Any feedback would be appreciated!

NONE. You can't split up your vacation week to take 5 days here and there unless your contract say you can. Does your supplement / rider say you can do that ??? if not your SOL. Your going to have to call in sick the days you need off.

aaapunk

Would this fall under past practice sinceit was done for me last year? Also, I have spoken to other supervisors in our hub who have told me this practice was common place. Any info on scheduling a day off without pay? Thanks

JonFrum

If you need time off for personal or family medical reasons, Article 16, Section 6, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) will get you the days you need.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Past practice won't apply to this issue. It is up to the ones who can choose to follow the contract or not. We do not have that power. They do. I don't see how you will win this one.