Question about seniority

DoctorMario

So one of the pickoffs goes on vacation next week and my supervisor wants me to take his spot while he's out. I don't want to pickoff because it really hurts my wrist when i do it. I have seniority over all the loaders in my area. My question is can i refuse to pickoff and say that I have more seniority and I would prefer to load ? Thanks in advance

JustDeliverIt

So one of the pickoffs goes on vacation next week and my supervisor wants me to take his spot while he's out. I don't want to pickoff because it really hurts my wrist when i do it. I have seniority over all the loaders in my area. My question is can i refuse to pickoff and say that I have more seniority and I would prefer to load ? Thanks in advance

There are preferred jobs (responder, train driver, etc.) and then everything else. Loading, unloading, pick are all just jobs and it is WAD. But like @silenze said, tell them it hurts your wrist. If your supe isn't a total a-hole than they should be willing to work with you. Worst case, hit that red button and shut the belt down a few times. They'll move you pretty quick.

Nah

Some areas have a practice where you can. Others, seniority does not give you such rights.

Just tell your sup the truth. The possibility of an injury should spook him enough that he has someone else do it.

542thruNthru

He is what you do...

Tell him you don't want to. If he makes you. Do a terrible job.

Problem solved.

D

Deleted member 77202

In Package Handler land, seniority don't mean smilet. :consoling:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We used to love working the hvd or lvd, they had fans overhead. Beats loading in that trailer sauna!

quad decade guy

He is what you do...

Tell him you don't want to. If he makes you. Do a terrible job.

Problem solved.

Well, that would be dishonest(deliberately doing a terrible job). How about admitting(op) that (op) isn't capable of working as directed. Btw, "Tell him you don't want to"? Is this a 5 year old? Maybe just tell the truth and follow the consequences?

542thruNthru

Well, that would be dishonest(deliberately doing a terrible job). How about admitting(op) that (op) isn't capable of working as directed. Btw, "Tell him you don't want to"? Is this a 5 year old? Maybe just tell the truth and follow the consequences?

Well if his sup doesn't want to listen to his concerns and doesn't want to honor his seniority. The only way is to either do the job and possibly hurt himself or do the job poorly so that his sup will replace him. Also I guess he could refuse to work as directed and possibly be terminated.

I'm sure if this was about wearing a safety vest in the yard you'd take his safety concerns more seriously.