Question for non-management folks>>>

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Do you all care about the earnings reports? Do you look forward to seeing the news and take personal responsibility if the numbers are not good?
yes i care upssalesguy it adds fuel to the fire. example if ups makes a huge profitsand is making package car drivers work 11 hours a day and cutting routes and jobs, it makes it easier to want to strike:happy-very:. but on the other hand their earnings are completely fubar at least you can get get some kind of logical reasoning behind some on the bs UPS does

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
One last thing. I have pride in my company. UPS is a great company with a rich history, heritage and prestige. now i hate the people who run and manage it. Same thing with the union I love the union but I don't like the people running it.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I do look at the numbers as it reflects the health of our Company. I too am proud to work at UPS and my other job. I take pride in the places I work.

whiskey

what do you mean, am I serious? Earning are coming out next week and I wanted to know who feels "all in". Being in sales, I know when my numbers are good I am contrubuting to the bottom line.

Most of the responses are what I expected - if they are good, I have a job. I don't think that is the right attitude, but that is my opinion.

Brown being green is important - for customers. Also, the calenders this year were crap, i hope they never go so cheap again - but it costs money we do not have.

i guess in some sort of romantic way, I wanted everyone to buy in that we are all part of a team.

on another note, some of the posts while I typed this lead me to beleive some of you all forget sometimes that this is a job and not a right.

edit: and maybe I think this way because in management, we have no contract. you can be let go with no excuse and in this economy, I hold my breath every monday when i look at my numbers.

whiskey

The team concept, albeit a good one, has been strained for many years. And there have been many factors contributing to its failure. There can be no weak links on a team. This goes for the "measly" part timer on up to the CEO and everybody in between. Judging from this post, major surgery is required. Is there a doctor in the house?

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
BTW, congrats on your soon to be fatherhood. Your first?

d

thanks danny, yeah, my first and it is going to be great. she is due on sept 6.

For everyone in this thread, I am not trying to pick a fight, I was just trying to get the kind of discussion started on here that I have with myself. There are different dynamics at play and I don't manage a center, so I am no exposed the the BS some of you all have to put up with daily.

yes, the centers and drivers in my building all have my cellphone and I get calls daily. If I dont get a call from a driver that needed something, they know it is their fault for not picking up the phone :)

no, not all of my accounts have 60 locations, but my my largest has 8 DC's worldwide and a few of my retail customers have hundreds of stores. i deal with customers from $200,000 annual UPS revenue to $6 million in annual revenue.

As stupid as it may sound, I recognize the team aspect of our company is broken and I hope my spirits are not crushed before I get to a position to try and mend fences. I don't want to be a sales guy forever.

I have been a (the) primary resource for business managers and drivers for Take Charge, and the reason i created this "respoinsiblity" is because the old way was broke, and no one was attempting to fix it.

I am going to keep doing what I can to foster a team spirit and I am glad Browncafe is a sounding board for all types of folks. Thank you all again for all you do. I DO recognize without drivers, I have no job.

My future baby daughter thanks you as well!

You can't scare me away that easily - if that were the case, I would have quit 5 years ago!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Bubblehead

The baby in September is the reason for the build up of testosterone. It will be back to normal after the little Valentine is born.:wink2:

Sales guy, nice post for a change.

Yes the team concept is broken. Partially because of the union, partially because of the company.

Another reason for the mass confusion is the pricing structure. While U understand that one price does not fit all, and the guy shipping 5 mil a year deserves better pricing than the guy that ships one package a day. But it would help if you allowed the driver access to some of that information so we can take care of the little guy. Customers that would not be feasible for you to service.

Remember one last thought.

While you do spend time away from the family, you are pretty much home in the evenings, while most drivers are still humping at 7:30-8. A lot of that late time is making sure that the customers are getting the latest pickup possible to get all the packages possible, to shut out all the other beggars at the door. Drivers that would love to be home with their daughter, be at their sons first ball game, or championship ball game.

We sacrifice a lot of family time to make the service you promise.

Please dont take that sacrifice to lightly when you claim that you and you alone are responsible for getting and keeping a good customer.

Best!

d PS, I hope she takes after Momma:wink2: Seriously, your life will change forever. In some ways very good, in others, not so good. But over all, I would never change a thing with mine.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
The team concept, albeit a good one, has been strained for many years. And there have been many factors contributing to its failure. There can be no weak links on a team. This goes for the "measly" part timer on up to the CEO and everybody in between. Judging from this post, major surgery is required. Is there a doctor in the house?
There is no "team" mentality here. The management people do what they have to do to cover their butt. The drivers care about themselves. Package drivers won't even acknowledge anyone else exists. Senior guys couldn't care less about the struggles of junior guys. Etc., etc.

upser_J

i find the earnings report interesting... helps put to numbers what UPS has been doing. Understandably, our Hub only does a portion of the total volume, but i felt that this quarter picked up in volume and the report should show that. Maybe not quite as busy as last year, but maybe close.