Question for seasoned drivers

DS

Fenderbender
To answer your question directly, time.
The job of a driver is 80% mental 20% physical.
Try and stay calm and deliberate in your actions.
One day, you will "click" into the flow of the job.
Not to be negative, but the job never really gets any easier.
It is just the way you handle it that gets easier.
Best of Luck
Satelliteman hits it right on the head.
its also the training procedure for being a hit man...

brown67

They will make you take a 50 min. lunch and a 10 minute break. At least they do hear. Lunch has four spots for time. Can break it up anyway you want. Just has to add up to 50 min. Break is done in other work.

What I'm not saying so well is while you are qualifying take break when you sort. Can't show stops being del. during break, but if you need to stop for ten min. to sort and get your route planned out just clock out on break and sort.

double R

Regretfully (or Thankfully) I never had to run a pkg. car route. I was blessed to get hired after one peak season into feeders. As to an answer in your question.
1. If you are constant 'consumer' of the cold adult beverages I am fore warning you. You are human; as am I, Do Not _uck this up over a $3 beer.
2. Only YOU can decide how fast or hard you are going to push yourself. Remember, what doesn't kill you; makes you stronger. There's a lot of truth in that.
3. "...I am doing the best I can..." is probably the phrase that will keep you in the game. Unless there's an 'S' on your chest... You'll be fine.

Good luck:thumbup1:

Pollocknbrown

Regretfully (or Thankfully) I never had to run a pkg. car route. I was blessed to get hired after one peak season into feeders. As to an answer in your question.
1. If you are constant 'consumer' of the cold adult beverages I am fore warning you. You are human; as am I, Do Not _uck this up over a $3 beer.
2. Only YOU can decide how fast or hard you are going to push yourself. Remember, what doesn't kill you; makes you stronger. There's a lot of truth in that.
3. "...I am doing the best I can..." is probably the phrase that will keep you in the game. Unless there's an 'S' on your chest... You'll be fine.

Good luck:thumbup1:

where are u getting beers for 3 bux? beer in bottles in cases cost like 75 cents a bottle (assuming its a 24 pack of labbat or 28 pack of molson). And at sporting events they are like 5 bux around here easy.

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
I disagree with captain america.Never run,it will cause more problems than it solves.If you try to go too fast you will either hurt yourself or have an accident,and either one will end your driving career pronto.
UPS calls it working with a sense of urgency,thats all you need to do.
Do one stop at a time and move on to the next one,it will be stressful
at first but it gets easier with time.

Not to nitpick but it is amazing how close "you need more of a sense of ugency" and full blown panic running really are. Don't work faster than you can think, but new guys, run its just the way it is until you get beat down and abused enough.

keith lestrange

hey man !
congrats on the full time gig,just try not to panic !!
like some of the guys said earlier keep everything on the move -
plenty of water,and really dont care if its late its late !!!
plus DONT hit anything

anyway enjoy it,i got a lady who answered the door just in her underwear today-brightened my whole day :w00t:

VTBrown

No one has mentioned it....but follow the methods. They work.
At some point the methods take over and the job becomes MUCH easier.

It's all about how to keep moving and efficiency in your movements.

double R

where are u getting beers for 3 bux? beer in bottles in cases cost like 75 cents a bottle (assuming its a 24 pack of labbat or 28 pack of molson). And at sporting events they are like 5 bux around here easy.

that would be at BW-3's for Happy hour.. but yeah, buying by the case is cheaper and it helps if yer xtra thirsty:)

brownrodster

I never sorted during my probation. My service area was so small that I decided duplicate stops was faster (I would always have 3-4 per day). Do everything on the move. never stop for anything. I didn't take breaks during probation. Peed during lunch. etc...

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Good luck-Welcome to THE rat race of all rat races. One stop at a time, That's all you can do. Don't get too far ahead of yourself. Keep your eyes and feet moving. If you Screw up, stop take a deep breath, focus and get your ass in gear again. It will be hard and it always will be physical but your not behind a desk and your breathing fresh outside air. You might have some doubts at times, talk to somebody with experience you can trust. Hang in there, You CAN do it!

Tony31yrs

Get yourself into a routine or system that works for you. A steady calm routine will make less mistakes than running around with your head up your butt and constantly backtracking. Ask the calmer seeming drivers for pointers. The nervous looking ones will just tell you to skip your lunch and run. Good luck and don't let the supes get too much into your head.