Question!!,

Btn1969

Ok I've about had it with this chicken :censored2: company. I've decided to jump ship and go do something productive. So if I just quit what do I lose? I really do not want to give this company notice. Will this effect my pension or last pay check etc.....

Ricochet1a

Ok I've about had it with this chicken :censored2: company. I've decided to jump ship and go do something productive. So if I just quit what do I lose?

About the only thing you'll 'lose' is re-hire capability with Express (and I think with any other FedEx opco, not sure on that).

I'd have to recommend that you give 2 weeks notice if at all possible - unless you have another job waiting to go to.

I really do not want to give this company notice. Will this effect my pension or last pay check etc.....

No effect on your pension. You'll be paid for all accumulated, unused vacation time, but forfeit any sick, personal or floaters which are unused.

Most employers only look to verify dates which you were employed and some will want to verify salary/wage at exit from an employer. Express has a telephone number on their 'employee bulletin boards' which has this phone number for other prospective employers to call - write down this number and keep it in a safe place. It will save a headache down the road when future employers want to verify employment history before they do the typical background investigation.

About the only other thing that would cause one to immediately want to terminate their employment, is if they are looking at a suspension for something which could lead to termination - then quit on the spot and walk away. You'll forfeit any chance at unemployment - but you'll get out without an involuntary termination.

The only other 'wild card' with giving no notice termination is how it affects COBRA availability. I can't imagine that since Express is employment-at-will, that an employee's terminating employment without notice could affect eligibility for COBRA - but I'd either fire off a question to HR if that is something you are concerned about - or have a trusted coworker who isn't really looking to leave, ask the question.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Give 2 weeks notice.

Use a few sick days during that time.

Give the company subpar performance, they've earned it.

DontThrowPackages

exactly. Use up your sick days and then call in to work in the morning saying you're taking a personal day, twice if you have them. Then give your 2 weeks notice. Believe me, when they get ready to let you go, they plan it out like a timeout with 5 seconds left on the clock.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ok I've about had it with this chicken :censored2: company. I've decided to jump ship and go do something productive. So if I just quit what do I lose? I really do not want to give this company notice. Will this effect my pension or last pay check etc.....

Just curious. How long did you last, and how long before you figured it out?

Btn1969

I've been with this trash company for16 years. Really started to see the writing on the wall about 5yrs ago. Plus with talking to my friends at other stations it became clear that this company wants me gone.

El Morado Diablo

No effect on your pension. You'll be paid for all accumulated, unused vacation time, but forfeit any sick, personal or floaters which are unused.

Not entirely true in regards to personals and floaters. Depending on the state in which you live in the company may have to pay you for any unused days you have left.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've been with this trash company for16 years. Really started to see the writing on the wall about 5yrs ago. Plus with talking to my friends at other stations it became clear that this company wants me gone.

They want us all gone. I hope you get something much better.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
iffen you're a courier or RTD, on your last day leave your fully loaded vehicle in the middle of the road (preferably upside down) and pre-arrange to have someone there to pick you up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
iffen you're a courier or RTD, on your last day leave your fully loaded vehicle in the middle of the road (preferably upside down) and pre-arrange to have someone there to pick you up.

You could ask the Ground guy to do it for you. They are experts at this (the upside-down part).

Btn1969

Yeah guys and gals it's getting bad. I'm thinking about taking out the truck and pulling over on the freeway and throwing the keys in the bayou.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Yeah guys and gals it's getting bad. I'm thinking about taking out the truck and pulling over on the freeway and throwing the keys in the bayou.

Nahhh...loan it to a homeless guy with the fuel card and how to use it. Just make sure to tell him he has commit times to meet, wouldn't want to tarnish the Express reputation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

If your keys hit a fish, frog or some other form of aquatic life, you will be charged with a preventable. I like Downtrodden's idea better. The homeless guy could actually be a future Ground driver.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We had a pm pickup courier, at one station I worked at, who worked there for maybe three weeks. One night he went out on the road. After a while, dispatch realized they couldn't get in touch with him. Management was freaking... The guy had driven his truck back to the station and parked it around back, keys in it, and was never seen again. We were all so envious and got a good laugh out of that one.