Questions about driving

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Wow that certainly was a refreshing nap I took today. So how many hours and packages does an experienced air driver like yourself get a week. You don't think maybe you should try delivering an actual route before you feel competent to make a statement like this. And since you will have your own route in 4 months I would like to learn more about the world you live in. Do you have free-hire periods, coverage drivers or a rule that the bottom 10% of the full-time drivers can't bid routes? Also is the sky blue there and do you have gravity or can you fly around like a little bird?

What is the user name you usually post under?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I believe you all have missed what I was trying to say. I'm serious, not back-pedaling - I don't believe there is an easy job at ups.

I know drivers work hard. And they get paid far more than anyone in the industry for that hard work.

My experience as a loader? Most physically demanding job imaginable, with the worst pay of ANY job, anywhere.

I said that driving is like taking a nap compared to unloading; perhaps that was too strong. If I insulted anyone by that statement, then I sincerely apologize - I in no way meant to say your job is cake. It isn't.

However, I have an opinion. You can agree or disagree with my opinion, but argue as much as you want, it is still my personal opinion - I would take driving at $8.50 / hour over unloading at $28.50 / hour. And that is an honest, factual personal opinion of mine. It is not meant as an insult to anyone.

Here, I'll make it more clear (if you can be honest);

You have a choice - 10 hours, $28.50 / hour. Would you drive or unload?
Of course you would drive. It is a sick insult that unloaders, loaders are started at $8.50 / hr. It is insulting that management gets a quizzical look wondering why they get lousey workers, and when they get good workers, they quit.

This is all my opinion. Agree, disagree, it doesn't matter.

Re-Raise

Of course you would drive. It is a sick insult that unloaders, loaders are started at $8.50 / hr.

Then how can you explain that you are the only one in your center who tells every suit they see they want to drive? To answer your question I have never posted here under any other name. You should take pride in the fact it was one of your posts that actually caused me to register here. I figured out your little "Don't you wish you did the same " code where you replaced the letters with the previous letter in the alphabet. I don't want to make this personal , but most of your posts really offend me. I think you present yourself in a way that makes people want to see you fail, and I don't see how that is positive. You can have confidence in your abilities without predicting the future. Why not be grateful for the opportunity to drive without the arrogance. You still have never answered why no part-timers ahead of you are jumping at the opportunity. And as far as the management team risking a greivance to fast track you , you better believe they will get one, and they will lose. Unless they designate you as outside hire you can't disregard seniority. Your attitude is even more of an insult to the part-timers who are putting in the time, some of them at my center almost ten years.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Of course you would drive. It is a sick insult that unloaders, loaders are started at $8.50 / hr.

I think you present yourself in a way that makes people want to see you fail, and I don't see how that is positive. You can have confidence in your abilities without predicting the future. Why not be grateful for the opportunity to drive without the arrogance. And as far as the management team risking a greivance to fast track you , you better believe they will get one, and they will lose. Unless they designate you as outside hire you can't disregard seniority.

Then how can you explain that you are the only one in your center who tells every suit they see they want to drive?
Because I want to drive?

You still have never answered why no part-timers ahead of you are jumping at the opportunity.
Don't know. Don't care.

I don't want to make this personal , but most of your posts really offend me.
Certainly not intentional. Ask yourself why some unknown poster would have the power to make you feel that way.

Your attitude is even more of an insult to the part-timers who are putting in the time, some of them at my center almost ten years.
Bullsheet - I'm not doing anything that any other person can't do.

So, answer the question - Would you drive or unload? And seriously, tell everyone what name you usually post under - I already know.

Re-Raise

I am only going to say this one more time. YOU CAN'T JUMP OVER OTHER PART-TIMERS TO DRIVE. Two women who were each over 10 years older than I was both went to driver school and drove ahead of me. Unfortunately the physical demands of the job were such that they weren't able to continue and neither of them still drive. I was an ex college linebacker with a degree who wanted the job just as badly as you do. They could not offer me a driver's job until they offered it to them. They deserved their chance because they earned it by working there longer.

Will they skip the pay progression and put you right at top pay? Will you get to pick your vacations first just because you play under the boss' desk ?

Maybe they will change the pension requirements for you, so you won't be delivering at 70 yrs old.

Finally I have NEVER posted on this site under another name. I am just a guy who doesn't believe in instant gratification or cockiness. I don't buy lotto tickets.. I buy stock in quality companies. I don't kiss the coach's ass to get playing time.. I work harder in practice. I would certainly be humble at any new job I took.

I am done with this we will just agree to be VERY different people.

omgitsnick

I am only going to say this one more time. YOU CAN'T JUMP OVER OTHER PART-TIMERS TO DRIVE. Two women who were each over 10 years older than I was both went to driver school and drove ahead of me. Unfortunately the physical demands of the job were such that they weren't able to continue and neither of them still drive. I was an ex college linebacker with a degree who wanted the job just as badly as you do. They could not offer me a driver's job until they offered it to them. They deserved their chance because they earned it by working there longer.

Will they skip the pay progression and put you right at top pay? Will you get to pick your vacations first just because you play under the boss' desk ?

Maybe they will change the pension requirements for you, so you won't be delivering at 70 yrs old.

Finally I have NEVER posted on this site under another name. I am just a guy who doesn't believe in instant gratification or cockiness. I don't buy lotto tickets.. I buy stock in quality companies. I don't kiss the coach's ass to get playing time.. I work harder in practice. I would certainly be humble at any new job I took.

I am done with this we will just agree to be VERY different people.

i agree with you, like i said, this guy is a troll trying to stir up some stuff.

sano

i agree with you, like i said, this guy is a troll trying to stir up some stuff.

You may not agree with him but I would not call him a troll. A troll doesn't have 400+ post.

I thought this post http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/my-integrad-driver-training-experience.179542/
was very informative. Trolls don't ad to the conversation like BBAG did in that post.
Weather you agree or not it may be wise not to call someone else a troll when you only have 10 post.

Re-Raise

All they have to do is make him a pt supe for a month.

True. I asked him earlier if he would be an outside hire. I believe the current ratio is 6 to 1 inside to out. I am in 710. He is very vague in how he plans to make this happen other than saying he talks to management a lot. I guess he could be considering " his own route " to be his training route. We have guys still running covers after 10 years. He would definitely be one of those guys you would take your maps out the truck and the business keys off the key chain when he was covering your route wouldn't he. I get 2 or 3 calls a day from my subs when I am off , even during poker games like last week, and I always help them. Wouldn't do it for someone with his attitude.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
True. I asked him earlier if he would be an outside hire. I believe the current ratio is 6 to 1 inside to out. I am in 710. He is very vague in how he plans to make this happen other than saying he talks to management a lot. I guess he could be considering " his own route " to be his training route. We have guys still running covers after 10 years. He would definitely be one of those guys you would take your maps out the truck and the business keys off the key chain when he was covering your route wouldn't he. I get 2 or 3 calls a day from my subs when I am off , even during poker games like last week, and I always help them. Wouldn't do it for someone with his attitude.

I am not an outside hire, started as an unloader.

Not a troll, contacted a moderator yesterday with my name, address & employee number, boss, supervisor information, etc.

Other than that, I really don't know what crawled up your butt & died - read what you wrote above - where the HELL did that come from?

Something is bothering you, something is bad in your life. If it makes you feel better to act this way, fine, it doesn't bother me. It's just a forum, these are just words on a screen.

But whatever makes you so angry, it ain't me. Have a nice life.

Re-Raise

I am not an outside hire, started as an unloader.

Not a troll, contacted a moderator yesterday with my name, address & employee number, boss, supervisor information, etc.

Other than that, I really don't know what crawled up your butt & died - read what you wrote above - where the HELL did that come from?

Something is bothering you, something is bad in your life. If it makes you feel better to act this way, fine, it doesn't bother me. It's just a forum, these are just words on a screen.

But whatever makes you so angry, it ain't me. Have a nice life.

If you are an inside hire then you have to be the highest seniority part-timer who wants to drive. I am not angry , just amused at your arrogance. Like I said earlier your attitude makes me, I can only speak for myself, want to see you fail. How does someone as special as yourself, who sees what he wants and goes for it find himself unemployed 3 months ago?

sano

I was just giving you hassle.
The reason I went to the website is I thought it may be a spoof site by the McCain camp about Obama. Based on his "chosen one" celebrity ad against Obama.