Questions about job

John3826

Currently I'm a PT Package Handler at UPS and I was thinking about taking a position offered to me at RadioShack. I currently work the sunrise shift and go to school during the afternoon. I realize all the benefits UPS has to offer, the job security, and within the company promotions. Currently I have gotten used to my job and feel as though it isn't as hard as some make it out to be but if offered a better position I said I would take it. At radio shack I would in fact be working part time also and since my semesters nearly over I could schedule to take classes at a better time next semester. I was wondering what advice anyone could share or what everyone thinks? I do in fact like my weekends off and all but RadioShack is a bit closer and my best friend's father is the manager and they live right across the street from me. I'm 18 btw just graduated high school in May. I feel as though if I stay at UPS I won't be able to be on my own until im about 30 with the salary they pay. I'm pretty sure I'll make more at Radio Shack but even without just thinking about Pay I don't plan on having a future at UPS but would it be wise to leave now after about 45 days? Also if I do is there a certain amount of time I need to let them know like a 2 week notice? Most people I know just pick up their last paycheck and don't comeback.

fethrs

Think it through. Don't quit because someone you don't know tells you to.

If you ask 10 people the same question, you will get 10 different answers, especially here on BC.

It depends on a lot of factors but you have to keep in mind what your goal is for the future..can you see yourself working for 5 or 10 years at UPS, what about Radio Shack? UPS has a lot to offer, even though the hours suck you still have all the weekends off and some holidays too.

It's your choice, think about it.

John3826

Yea that's the thing I can't see myself lifting and lowering boxes for years to come nor do I see myself trying to be a pt sup in management because I see how they get treated and how quickly their jobs become available when they can hire new people to make way less than them and do the same thing. I've been giving it a lot of thought because let's face it the benefits are par none and in honesty I don't mind the hours because I'm done with work when most people aren't even up yet. Another thing is my Fridays are good because I don't have any Friday classes for now so once I cash my check and come home I can sleep for a while wake up and I have the weekend to do what I want. My interview at Radio Shack is tomorrow at 3PM, I'm going to see what kind of hours and days off I'll be getting if I accept but most likely it'll be better than what UPS is offering currently.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are 18 and still in college I would think you would still be on your parents' insurance and, if I am right, the benefits will not be important to you.

John3826

Correct so at this point in time money is really all I should be concerned with, that and some decent off days/hours which I may or may not get from Radio Shack.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
One thing that you stated in your original post is that you think you would be 30 before you would make good money at UPS full time. I would like to point out that in most areas, it seems to be about a five year wait, so thinking along that line, you could possibly start as a full-time driver when you hit 23. Of course this involves factors like the senority in your particular building and if you keep a clean driving record. I have a hard, boring, physical job as a driver, but it pays a lot better than most people with a college degree. Just something to think about, you might hit $80-90K a year at the age of 26 when you finish your pay progression.

kmjs14

I personally would stick with UPS. You have a pension plan, free benefits (may not matter now but who know down the road), raises every year. By the time your 25 with 7 years at UPS you could get another friend/t job, keep the UPS gig and be making serious money with all those benefits. You could also go the friend/t route as a driver and be making ridiculous money. IMO UPS is on more solid ground than Radio Shack but depends on your future goals.