Questions about my future as a UPS Employee! Input greatly appreciated!

Matt55

Hello my name is Matt and I have been working for UPS as an unloader
(4:00am-9:00am) since July 19th! I gained my seniority around October 16th.
(I took a vacation in August and didn't work for 3 weeks.) I've tried to research my questions on this forum but I couldn't find the answers to everything; so here are my questions..

1.) My paycheck starting October 8th- October 14th has started making initiation fees of $25. I am guessing this is for the Union? November 3rd will be my third deduction payment and I will be up to $75 total. My question is...How many more times will they make this deduction? Totaling how much?

2.) Based on my start date and when I reached my seniority. When will I start seeing health, dental, and vision benefits?

3.) Is it worth staying with UPS? As an unloader I am only receivnig roughly 20hrs a week. I am trying to find a second job, but its not easy with the schedule I have currently at UPS. I need a full time job with full time hours, but I don't want to give up this if it will pay off in the long run.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
1) Ask your local union or shop steward for the Initiation fee amount.

2) UPS requires a year of employment before you can receive benefits.

3) If you want "free" healthcare and a chance for a career, you stay.

1) depends on your local

2) my benefits are after a year.

3) everyone has to do it, its up to you to decide if it will pay off for you in the long run. Most have a second job totaling full time or more hours.

Matt55

Thank you guys! Just in a weird position where I need money and I wish I had full time hours, but I want my future self to be in a good position by staying at UPS.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Thank you guys! Just in a weird position where I need money and I wish I had full time hours, but I want my future self to be in a good position by staying at UPS.
The hours will come before December 25 ends. Maybe try and sign on as a helper at your building.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
if you are halfway smart. you'll find a way. there are a lot of places where you can make your own hours, usually sales positions.

i worked at several places that were hurting for people so badly they let me work when i wanted. the jobs are out there.

I would post on your local Facebook page for ideas. people do that here and get a lot of responses.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

If you need money, find a seasonal job at a business near you.
You have no excuse not juggling 2 part time jobs for the next 2 months.
UPS may even want you to stay longer and work extra days.

In January, you can refocus on what you want to do with your life.
CARPE DIEM