Questions about transferring to RTD

brown-nosing

Hey guys, I'm new to FE. Just started about 2 months ago as part time PM courier. My goal has been to get my CDL through the company. I talked to my boss about it a few nights ago and he said we desperately need RTD positions filled. He followed up with the person in charge of that department who said once I obtain my CDL permit that I can apply for the position.

I found some old threads, but nothing too recent, so I was wanted to ask a few questions about the RTD position.

1. What type of hours can I expect? Part time, full time? What shifts?
2. Any idea what the starting pay rate is? I saw some old posts saying like $19/hr, but that's less than a dollar more than I make right now as a courier. Seems surprisingly low so wanted to verify.
3. How long does the CDL training take and do I start working as RTD as soon as I pass my license exam?

Thanks guys and Happy Turkey Day!

Purplepackage

Hey guys, I'm new to FE. Just started about 2 months ago as part time PM courier. My goal has been to get my CDL through the company. I talked to my boss about it a few nights ago and he said we desperately need RTD positions filled. He followed up with the person in charge of that department who said once I obtain my CDL permit that I can apply for the position.

I found some old threads, but nothing too recent, so I was wanted to ask a few questions about the RTD position.

2. Any idea what the starting pay rate is? I saw some old posts saying like $19/hr, but that's less than a dollar more than I make right now as a courier. Seems surprisingly low so wanted to verify.
3. How long does the CDL training take and do I start working as RTD as soon as I pass my license exam?

So your starting pay is over 20 an hour? You must be in California, generally RTD is on the same scale as swing and dispatch pay

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

1. Depends on whether position is PT or FT. There is an AM shift starting around 0300-0400 and there is a PM late afternoon.

2. Starting pay is what a cover driver makes. Ask around your station to see what the rate is there.

3. The training depends on how quickly you catch on. The actual class WAS two weeks. Not sure what it is currently. Can't answer last part of your question. I'm sure you would be trained in a run to a station.

You don't need an actual CDL license, just the permit to be RTD.

Purplepackage

1. Depends on whether position is PT or FT. There is an AM shift starting around 0300-0400 and there is a PM late afternoon.

2. Starting pay is what a cover driver makes. Ask around your station to see what the rate is there.

3. The training depends on how quickly you catch on. The actual class WAS two weeks. Not sure what it is currently. Can't answer last part of your question. I'm sure you would be trained in a run to a station.

Hope he enjoys working nights and weekends

brown-nosing

What type of truck would I be driving? I was under the impression this was a Class A position.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
What type of truck would I be driving? I was under the impression this was a Class A position.
Regardless, it's a great thing to get into. AGFS is night and day in comparison to working at a station. Lots of wait time, and you never hurry. Plus, you have the Golden Ticket in case you want to quit and work elsewhere. That's why they are in such need of RTDs. Everyone quits for better paying jobs, with better benefits.

Purplepackage

Thanks for the info. I really enjoy working for the company so far and my plan is to stay around. I just want to get FT hours as soon as possible. I'm ok with lower pay, as long as it's more than I make right now.

Get the cdl, quit, get a job driving a dump truck. All I ever see are dump truck drivers just sitting and waiting to dump loads of dirt etc. now that's easy money