Questions For The Apwa

local776

1.how Much Money Is In Reserve.
2.what Happens To The Pension When Upsf Shuts The Doors Since Upsf Are The Only Company Putting Into Their Pension Fund?
3.how About Giveing Us A Breakdown On What The Freight Division Pension Would Be And Not What The Guys In Brown Makes.
4.since Upsf Is Only Hireing Part Time Dock Workers (only Full Time With Cdl) What Effects Does That Have On Pension.
5.what About The Company Pension We Have, What Will Happen To That. (i Heard They Are Going To Use It To Help Theire Cause.)
6.apwa Pension Goals:
How Many Years Do You Have To In To Be Vested.
7. What Insurance Are You Talking About "after Retirement". The Union Or The Company? Company Ins. Is To Costly
8.why Does Your Pension Take 15 Years To Retain A Cash Value?
9. Is It True, When A Person Works For A Non Union Company And That Company Goes Union The Only Accountable Time Is The Time With The Union And Not The Company For Purpose Of Theire Pensions.
10.is It Not True That Every Contract Between A Union And Company Has To Be Negotiated.
11. More To Come

southerngrits

UPSFreight Greenville SC
2.what Happens To The Pension When Upsf Shuts The Doors Since Upsf Are The Only Company Putting Into Their Pension Fund?
3.how About Giveing Us A Breakdown On What The Freight Division Pension Would Be And Not What The Guys In Brown Makes.
4.since Upsf Is Only Hireing Part Time Dock Workers (only Full Time With Cdl) What Effects Does That Have On Pension.
5.what About The Company Pension We Have, What Will Happen To That. (i Heard They Are Going To Use It To Help Theire Cause.)
6.apwa Pension Goals:
7. What Insurance Are You Talking About "after Retirement". The Union Or The Company? Company Ins. Is To Costly
9. Is It True, When A Person Works For A Non Union Company And That Company Goes Union The Only Accountable Time Is The Time With The Union And Not The Company For Purpose Of Theire Pensions.
10.is It Not True That Every Contract Between A Union And Company Has To Be Negotiated.
11. More To Come

yawn..................... blah blah blah

if you don't like it don't join.. but quit asking the same questions over and over.. obviusly no one has the answers your looking for and if they did it still wouldn't suit you would it?

30andout

6.apwa Pension Goals:
11. More To Come
You are on the wrong web site, go to parcelworkers.:thumbup1:

brett636

All these questions will be answered once you have given up your teamster representation and other union negotiated benefits.

nospinzone

Before the Teamsters were voted in to represent UPS, and before they were being carried by the hard working employees at UPS, their reserve was probably somewhere near nothing. Such is the case with any newly formed labor organization. I don’t know what the current reserves are for the APWA. But with frugal stewardship of the membership dues after certification, the reserve that APWA will have on hand will EXPLODE. Why? Because every dollar of UPS dues will go to managing and servicing UPS members, unlike now where my money goes to build up some other companies strike fund. And how quickly will the APWA reserve grow? Enough so that dues will be cut in half 6 months after certification.

As a UPS only union/pension, each member will be paying for their own retirement. They will be able to see online how much they have contributed and what the actual value of their pension contributions plus growth is. None of this robbing peter to pay paul business that Teamsters pulls. Should UPSF go belly up, the value of a members pension would be +100% funded for the amount they had contributed. Their monthly payouts would be based on their years of service at the time of corporate closing the door. Federal law defines members as vested at a max of five years. Should a member not be vested, APWA will exceed the federal requirements by paying to the member the cash value of their contributions plus market return. It’s the honest thing to do.

APWA is in the process of obtaining specific contribution numbers that corporate makes on your behalf. Based on information from conversations with Freight employees, currently the company offers somewhere around $36,000/year 30 year pension which they secure a dependable return through purchasing 30yr bonds. Bonds have a fixed return around 7%. Should your funds be placed in a pension with market rates averaging at the least 10%, this can improve your benefit to somewhere around $42,000/year. This is without any increases in pension contributions by the company, which APWA would aggressively negotiate. APWA will be producing hard numbers once they know what the company is currently contributing.

First off, if a dock workers prefers to perform dock work, he shouldn’t be forced to drive. This is unfair to the people who do not want to be on the road, and APWA would protect this job description during negotiations. Well trained, seasoned, full-time dock workers make the drivers lives easier when its time to cross the scales.

To address the pension aspect of this….If there is an increase in part-time hires, this will have no effect on a full-time driver or anyone else. Each individual employee is funding his/her individual pension through company contributions made specifically for him/her. Part timers would accrue pension credit based on the part-time rate which would reduce the pension they could enjoy when compared to a full-timer. The health of the fund on the large scale would not be effected.

5.what About The Company Pension We Have, What Will Happen To That. (i Heard They Are Going To Use It To Help Theire Cause.)Should you decide to remain non-union, UPS would retain control. If either union is voted in, regardless of which one, management of the funds directly and immediately goes to that union. APWA has and will continue to make it abundantly clear that when they are awarded control of those monies, at the least, your monthly payout will not decrease. When factored in that the APWA will attempt to negotiate higher contributions and that your funds will enjoy higher market returns, the pension goals APWA will offer should be higher. If IBT takes control, they have made it clear in meetings with you guys that they will fold your 102% funded UPSF funds into plans like the 64%funded Central States. I’ll let you draw conclusions as to how that will effect your money. There’s more good news in number 9.

6.apwa Pension Goals:
Guidelines for vesting limits are federally mandated. Four years and 364 days is the longest you can contribute to a fund without being vested by law.

7. What Insurance Are You Talking About "after Retirement". The Union Or The Company? Company Ins. Is To Costly After retirement insurance will be $300/couple through a APWA contracted insurance company. The insurance company is lined up and ready to perform.

Pensions require 15-20 years to retain cash valued to account for swings in the market. Pension managers estimate that it takes up to 15 years to allow for the upswings and downswings to average out so that the end result is steady growth at the rate they are hoping to achieve. In APWA’s case, at 15 years your pension retains a cash value from which a payout thereby paying your estate at least $200,000 upon you and your spouse's demise. Should you the member pass at any time after being vested, your spouse will continue to receive your same monthly pension benefit until their death. At that time, if there is any value left in your pension, it will go to your estate to be distributed at your request. The health of the fund will not be dependent on stealing from another member once he dies.
APWA allows for total payout of around 95% of your funds total value. A 5% catastrophic event deduction is taken to be placed into a fund for vested members with catastrophic events forcing them into early retirement. This deduction is paid by all members prior to a payout.

The IBT’s plan for your departure into the heavens?? Here is one example taken from the Central States FAQ web page:

CentralStates.org said:
When I retired my wife and I declined JSO coverage. What death benefit will she receive after I die?
  • If you are receiving a retirement benefit based on less than 20 years of Credit (such as a Contribution-Based Pension) she will receive no benefits upon your death.
  • If you are receiving a retirement benefit based on 20 or more years of Credit and your Benefit Class is at least 4 and have received benefits for at least 60 months, she will receive no benefits upon your death.
  • If you are receiving a retirement benefit based on at least 20 years of Credit and your Benefit Class is less than 4, your wife will receive a Lump-Sum Death Benefit of $1,000 upon your death.
  • If you are receiving a retirement benefit based on at least 20 years of Credit and your Benefit Class is at least 4 and you have received benefits for less than 60 months, she will receive, upon your death, a monthly benefit equal to what you have been receiving, but her benefits will end after you have together received 60 monthly payments.
9. Is It True, When A Person Works For A Non Union Company And That Company Goes Union The Only Accountable Time Is The Time With The Union And Not The Company For Purpose Of Theire Pensions.According to meetings your UPSF coworkers have attended, and correct me if I am misrepresenting this, IBT has announced that Central States will give you a 2yr credit for every 3yrs of service with Overnite.

APWA’s plan: Each member’s time will be retained to the very hour and as previously stated in question 5, at the minimum, you will continue to receive same benefits as previouisly promised when the plan was administered by UPS. It’s your money. Why should you not get it all?

10.is It Not True That Every Contract Between A Union And Company Has To Be Negotiated.Once the employees have voted on a collective bargaining agent, the company is required to negotiate with that agent. No options. They can stall and use procedural delays afforded to them by the NLRB. UPS pilots withdrew from the Teamsters and formed their own union with whom UPS was forced to negotiate. UPS did indeed stall for a couple years, but in the end the pilots saw increases in salary, signing bonuses, and pension contributions.

11. More To Come
These were good questions on detail oriented concerns that you guys will be having. I admit, that I simply did not know the answer to several of these. But Eason and Skillman have made themselves extremely accessible via email or phone. Their quick reply to my/your questions were definitive and straight-forward. Feel free to ask more.

southerngrits

UPSFreight Greenville SC
Before the Teamsters were voted in to represent UPS, and before they were being carried by the hard working employees at UPS, their reserve was probably somewhere near nothing. Such is the case with any newly formed labor organization. I don’t know what the current reserves are for the APWA. But with frugal stewardship of the membership dues after certification, the reserve that APWA will have on hand will EXPLODE. Why? Because every dollar of UPS dues will go to managing and servicing UPS members, unlike now where my money goes to build up some other companies strike fund. And how quickly will the APWA reserve grow? Enough so that dues will be cut in half 6 months after certification.

As a UPS only union/pension, each member will be paying for their own retirement. They will be able to see online how much they have contributed and what the actual value of their pension contributions plus growth is. None of this robbing peter to pay paul business that Teamsters pulls. Should UPSF go belly up, the value of a members pension would be +100% funded for the amount they had contributed. Their monthly payouts would be based on their years of service at the time of corporate closing the door. Federal law defines members as vested at a max of five years. Should a member not be vested, APWA will exceed the federal requirements by paying to the member the cash value of their contributions plus market return. It’s the honest thing to do.

APWA is in the process of obtaining specific contribution numbers that corporate makes on your behalf. Based on information from conversations with Freight employees, currently the company offers somewhere around $36,000/year 30 year pension which they secure a dependable return through purchasing 30yr bonds. Bonds have a fixed return around 7%. Should your funds be placed in a pension with market rates averaging at the least 10%, this can improve your benefit to somewhere around $42,000/year. This is without any increases in pension contributions by the company, which APWA would aggressively negotiate. APWA will be producing hard numbers once they know what the company is currently contributing.

First off, if a dock workers prefers to perform dock work, he shouldn’t be forced to drive. This is unfair to the people who do not want to be on the road, and APWA would protect this job description during negotiations. Well trained, seasoned, full-time dock workers make the drivers lives easier when its time to cross the scales.

To address the pension aspect of this….If there is an increase in part-time hires, this will have no effect on a full-time driver or anyone else. Each individual employee is funding his/her individual pension through company contributions made specifically for him/her. Part timers would accrue pension credit based on the part-time rate which would reduce the pension they could enjoy when compared to a full-timer. The health of the fund on the large scale would not be effected.

5.what About The Company Pension We Have, What Will Happen To That. (i Heard They Are Going To Use It To Help Theire Cause.)Should you decide to remain non-union, UPS would retain control. If either union is voted in, regardless of which one, management of the funds directly and immediately goes to that union. APWA has and will continue to make it abundantly clear that when they are awarded control of those monies, at the least, your monthly payout will not decrease. When factored in that the APWA will attempt to negotiate higher contributions and that your funds will enjoy higher market returns, the pension goals APWA will offer should be higher. If IBT takes control, they have made it clear in meetings with you guys that they will fold your 102% funded UPSF funds into plans like the 64%funded Central States. I’ll let you draw conclusions as to how that will effect your money. There’s more good news in number 9.

6.apwa Pension Goals:
How Many Years Do You Have To In To Be Vested.Guidelines for vesting limits are federally mandated. Four years and 364 days is the longest you can contribute to a fund without being vested by law.

7. What Insurance Are You Talking About "after Retirement". The Union Or The Company? Company Ins. Is To Costly After retirement insurance will be $300/couple through a APWA contracted insurance company. The insurance company is lined up and ready to perform.

Pensions require 15-20 years to retain cash valued to account for swings in the market. Pension managers estimate that it takes up to 15 years to allow for the upswings and downswings to average out so that the end result is steady growth at the rate they are hoping to achieve. In APWA’s case, at 15 years your pension retains a cash value from which a payout thereby paying your estate at least $200,000 upon you and your spouse's demise. Should you the member pass at any time after being vested, your spouse will continue to receive your same monthly pension benefit until their death. At that time, if there is any value left in your pension, it will go to your estate to be distributed at your request. The health of the fund will not be dependent on stealing from another member once he dies.
APWA allows for total payout of around 95% of your funds total value. A 5% catastrophic event deduction is taken to be placed into a fund for vested members with catastrophic events forcing them into early retirement. This deduction is paid by all members prior to a payout.

The IBT’s plan for your departure into the heavens?? Here is one example taken from the Central States FAQ web page:

9. Is It True, When A Person Works For A Non Union Company And That Company Goes Union The Only Accountable Time Is The Time With The Union And Not The Company For Purpose Of Theire Pensions.According to meetings your UPSF coworkers have attended, and correct me if I am misrepresenting this, IBT has announced that Central States will give you a 2yr credit for every 3yrs of service with Overnite.

APWA’s plan: Each member’s time will be retained to the very hour and as previously stated in question 5, at the minimum, you will continue to receive same benefits as previouisly promised when the plan was administered by UPS. It’s your money. Why should you not get it all?

10.is It Not True That Every Contract Between A Union And Company Has To Be Negotiated.Once the employees have voted on a collective bargaining agent, the company is required to negotiate with that agent. No options. They can stall and use procedural delays afforded to them by the NLRB. UPS pilots withdrew from the Teamsters and formed their own union with whom UPS was forced to negotiate. UPS did indeed stall for a couple years, but in the end the pilots saw increases in salary, signing bonuses, and pension contributions.

11. More To Come
These were good questions on detail oriented concerns that you guys will be having. I admit, that I simply did not know the answer to several of these. But Eason and Skillman have made themselves extremely accessible via email or phone. Their quick reply to my/your questions were definitive and straight-forward. Feel free to ask more.

well said.. but will the answer quite the non believers... time will tell

local776

Not so, try reading the affects a single employer has on the pension. For me i guess a track record is better than a gamble.
You can make any situation look good on paper but you can do alot with paper.

mittam

Not so, try reading the affects a single employer has on the pension. For me i guess a track record is better than a gamble.
You can make any situation look good on paper but you can do alot with paper.

But what we have hear IS a single employer pension. UPS paying the most of it to have a pension for all other companies, let all the others pay their fair share! Why should our company put themselves out for all these other companies? It is a great liability for UPS to have to be held responsible for all others retirement.

Bill

6.apwa Pension Goals:
11. More To Come
Let's start with the Teamsters. How much money do they really have and what are they not telling you? They refuse to open their books and show what they really have. Perhaps they are using the pension money for their own use or is it possible that they have less than they say they do? Wake up already!!! We only receive 40% of the pension money that UPS contributes. I don't know about you, but I would like to know that 100% of the pension money that UPS contributes goes to the people that work hard for it. I know that I am not the only one that feels this way. Common sense tells me that all is better than less than half. If the APWA replaces the corrupt Teamsters, I know I will receive what I should when I retire. When we took this job, we were told that we had good medical benefits and a decent pension. This is no longer the case. Thank the Teamsters for the mess they created.

Bill

6.apwa Pension Goals:
How Many Years Do You Have To In To Be Vested.Guidelines for vesting limits are federally mandated. Four years and 364 days is the longest you can contribute to a fund without being vested by law.

11. More To Come
You told it like it is, but unfortunately these pro-Teamsters who are following blindly will never see the entire picture. Why? because they believe everything that the Teamsters tell them without questioning anything.

Bill

not me i vote teamsters
Keep following the Teamsters and you will have nothing when you retire or very little to retire with. Unless of course, you are a Teamster leader, in which case you will be taken care of with a million dollar pension and benefits for life at the expense of the working man who had to endure UPS grueling days for many years

sothpaw

Keep following the Teamsters and you will have nothing when you retire or very little to retire with. Unless of course, you are a Teamster leader, in which case you will be taken care of with a million dollar pension and benefits for life at the expense of the working man who had to endure UPS grueling days for many years

Well said I believe you should be able to have access to your own pension; anyword on negociations on the indy terminal?

satellitedriver

6.apwa Pension Goals:
Guidelines for vesting limits are federally mandated. Four years and 364 days is the longest you can contribute to a fund without being vested by law.

11. More To Come

Great Post!!! I like the way you take the questions and break them down line by line. After "da strike" of 1997, I had given up hope. Maybe, I will live long enough to see one dream come true,to see "da union/teamsters" vanish. They have stolen and wasted more than they ever can give back.

UPS56

Laws are differdent for single employer pensions.........
UPS is in A Multi Employer......FUND...

All I hear and read on the NET is about Teamsters getting SCREWED............

Google UPS PENSION.........UPS FREIGHT PENSION................

Google COMPOUND INTEREST................

local776

why shouldnt the people from upsf take pride in themselves, they had their pension before ups bought them out. whats wrong with asking tough question to any union? I want my fellow coworks to be informed. at the APWA meeting yesterday (Nov 5th) they said they idnt want our pension. the said it sould be handled by the employees with a panel of retirees, employees and management along with apwa officals over seeing it. LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE. ITS the employees pension why does management need to be involved or did i misunderstand (NOT)