Questions from a new Delivery Driver out of West Chester PA regarding UPS as a long term employer

manymikeoh8

I know that the benefits are good, but I wanted to know if its possible to move into a tractor trailer driving position without any prior experience if I worked as a Delivery Driver for a while first. I know it takes 9 months to get benefits, and to become a fulltime driver, but how often and how much are raises? We start out at 21 an hour but at barely 40 hours a week that isnt much.

Thanks!

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I know that the benefits are good, but I wanted to know if its possible to move into a tractor trailer driving position without any prior experience if I worked as a Delivery Driver for a while first. I know it takes 9 months to get benefits, and to become a fulltime driver, but how often and how much are raises? We start out at 21 an hour but at barely 40 hours a week that isnt much.

Thanks!
Yes you can sign a bid for the Feeder Department as a package car driver or 22.4, usually with a minimum of one year safe driving. Then you’ll go to feeder school, one week paid training, one week unpaid to get your CDL. Raises are yearly and takes four years to max out at a over $40 an hour. By the time you get there it will likely be even more money.

BrunoCMarrone

Thanks!
Had the very same question, Mike. Thinking more long-term... get into the company first in any fashion (I'm not hired yet, but charging hard to become brown), then work/span time and hopefully get promoted from within to where you want to be. You're already in, so initial mission accomplished--good man! As for the tractor-trailer side of things, you need the schooling, the skills, and the CDL obtained through a reputable entity, before making the jump from box truck or van up to a big rig. Does UPS offer that specialized training from within? Great question. On that note, I've been looking at truck driving schools, and so far I'm not seeing that UPS offers any kind of pathway or school/paid training like CR England, CRST, Swift, etc. The job ads I see for UPS tractor-trailer drivers assume the applicant already has their CDL and experience as a trucker before applying. So, it's likely you'd need to get the trucker designation on your own, perhaps through a private school. The drawback there is that those private options can be quite expensive, so do your homework first and choose wisely. Truck driver pay is pretty good indeed (although I'm learning, like every profession, you need to be at it for a while, garnering experience to up your $$$). And while it's all relative, for me even making $55-65k (average to upper mid range for trucking) would be the highest paying job I've ever had. I know the good members of this site will give it to us straight about this question/scenario, so I look forward to their responses and insight. In the meantime, congrats on your position, be safe, and best of luck! 8-)

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Had the very same question, Mike. Thinking more long-term... get into the company first in any fashion (I'm not hired yet, but charging hard to become brown), then work/span time and hopefully get promoted from within to where you want to be. You're already in, so initial mission accomplished--good man! As for the tractor-trailer side of things, you need the schooling, the skills, and the CDL obtained through a reputable entity, before making the jump from box truck or van up to a big rig. Does UPS offer that specialized training from within? Great question. On that note, I've been looking at truck driving schools, and so far I'm not seeing that UPS offers any kind of pathway or school/paid training like CR England, CRST, Swift, etc. The job ads I see for UPS tractor-trailer drivers assume the applicant already has their CDL and experience as a trucker before applying. So, it's likely you'd need to get the trucker designation on your own, perhaps through a private school. The drawback there is that those private options can be quite expensive, so do your homework first and choose wisely. Truck driver pay is pretty good indeed (although I'm learning, like every profession, you need to be at it for a while, garnering experience to up your $$$). And while it's all relative, for me even making $55-65k (average to upper mid range for tr:censored2:) would be the highest paying job I've ever had. I know the good members of this site will give it to us straight about this question/scenario, so I look forward to their responses and insight. In the meantime, congrats on your position, be safe, and best of luck! 8-)
The training you go to will be location based. My hub does all the training in house, you pass the class, you go to the DMV to print your CDL. Other places will send you out for training that they will pay for. You absolutely do not have to have a CDL already as we usually hire from within and a vast majority of hub workers don’t have a CDL already. Good luck.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Had the very same question, Mike. Thinking more long-term... get into the company first in any fashion (I'm not hired yet, but charging hard to become brown), then work/span time and hopefully get promoted from within to where you want to be. You're already in, so initial mission accomplished--good man! As for the tractor-trailer side of things, you need the schooling, the skills, and the CDL obtained through a reputable entity, before making the jump from box truck or van up to a big rig. Does UPS offer that specialized training from within? Great question. On that note, I've been looking at truck driving schools, and so far I'm not seeing that UPS offers any kind of pathway or school/paid training like CR England, CRST, Swift, etc. The job ads I see for UPS tractor-trailer drivers assume the applicant already has their CDL and experience as a trucker before applying. So, it's likely you'd need to get the trucker designation on your own, perhaps through a private school. The drawback there is that those private options can be quite expensive, so do your homework first and choose wisely. Truck driver pay is pretty good indeed (although I'm learning, like every profession, you need to be at it for a while, garnering experience to up your $$$). And while it's all relative, for me even making $55-65k (average to upper mid range for tr:censored2:) would be the highest paying job I've ever had. I know the good members of this site will give it to us straight about this question/scenario, so I look forward to their responses and insight. In the meantime, congrats on your position, be safe, and best of luck! 8-)
Ups tranes there own Feeder drivers
Your diatribe was unnecessary

Last edited:

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You shoulda read my answer Broons. Now you look like a dumbarse

manymikeoh8

Yes you can sign a bid for the Feeder Department as a package car driver or 22.4, usually with a minimum of one year safe driving. Then you’ll go to feeder school, one week paid training, one week unpaid to get your CDL. Raises are yearly and takes four years to max out at a over $40 an hour. By the time you get there it will likely be even more money.
Do they give overtime as well?

Drguy

Interesting, I’m in central and they posted a feeder bid and was told only cdl holders can sign because they are not training anymore. I was always under the assumption they trained, I even talked to a steward and said they changed this awhile back?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Interesting, I’m in central and they posted a feeder bid and was told only cdl holders can sign because they are not training anymore. I was always under the assumption they trained, I even talked to a steward and said they changed this awhile back?
Section 14—Tractor-Trailer School
Employees who are interested in qualifying as tractor-trailer drivers
shall notify the Employer. Such employees in seniority order will
be permitted to attend, on their own time, the Employer’s training
program which may be established from time to time as the need
occurs.
The Employer agrees to furnish the necessary equipment
and instructors.
Upon completion of this training, the employees
shall be required to maintain the proper license and work as needed
in the classification.