Questions regarding work/life

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
I leave the house at 8am and I'm rarely home before 8pm.
From Thanksgiving to Christmas, I'm rarely home before 10pm
Because of this job, I missed most of my kid's school performances while they were growing up. There were many weeks during peak season when I would only get to see the kids on the weekends.
I used to be able to keep up with all of the jobs around the house when I was younger, but not any more. I'm usually too worn out on Saturdays to do much of anything and on Sundays I run out of time.
That being said, this job has provided well for me and my family over the years. You just need to figure out if the money is worth the time away from your family. Don't forget to include your wife in your decision as she will be a single parent most of the time.

What he said. Could not have said it any better.

ups1990

I highly commend you for thinking that way brother, good for you.
Hey.. The Wife and the kids sure get used to the duckets pops brings in from driving, don't they?
The modest homes and cars, a vacation from time to time, can afford to eat out on the weekends, season tickets to our favorite pro teams and so on. Don't forget about the 401k.

Z

ZQXC

Actually, she took it upon herself to mow the grass on her own. Unfortunately, she wasn't aware of certain fuel situations, and put regular gas in my brand new 2-cycle lawnmower. Turned it into a 30 lb anchor.

But dear it was running fine, and then it just locked down.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
that was almost her exact words....grrrrr. That was the last time she ever touched any of my gasoline powered things. It was actually a safe driving award, so it didn't really cost me any $$$$ but that was one of the best cutting lawnmowers I ever had, well for the 1 time I used it, anyway.:furious:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
that was almost her exact words....grrrrr. That was the last time she ever touched any of my gasoline powered things. It was actually a safe driving award, so it didn't really cost me any $$$$ but that was one of the best cutting lawnmowers I ever had, well for the 1 time I used it, anyway.:furious:
Hey...she tried her best..lol

nystripe96

On average I get home 8-8:30 most nights. Some nights by 6:30 the absolute earliest. You just get used to it. From Oct-Jan expect a lot of 11-12 hour days.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Nevermore1

My husband would usually get home between 7 and 8:30 in the evening (would leave about 8:30 in the mornings) during non peak. During peak (T-giving - X-Mas) we would be lucky to see him before 11pm. The kids are used to seeing him for a bit in the AM and on weekends. He is now a feeder driver and works late afternoon/evenings (2pm - 2-3am) Sunday's through Thursdays. Working at UPS does cause you to miss a lot of functions with your family but they get used to it (or to you showing up a little late in your browns stinking from being in the heat all day).

Bottom rung

what part of the country your in may make a difference. 5%of our guys are on the 9.5 list. Most guys in my building are done by six everyday.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Take the time you'd be watching the boob tube and apply it to work. I balance out my life fairly well considering the late hours we work anyways. The money has changed our lives for the better, allowing flexibility and a very stable future down the road. Sure you give up sports events and some family time, but for some the trade off is making six figures and never having to work again after thirty years put in, which will be 52 for me.