Questions

cambriaromance

I just had a question about vacation/option days paying out. I'm quitting UPS, this is my last week. I've gotten really sick recently and can't keep up with this job and school so it's time to give it a break.
My question is this...

Will they pay out my vacation and option days at the end of my last 2 weeks?

What about if they fire me before my 2 weeks is up?

The situation is this:
I did put in 2 weeks notice but I have been way too sick to be at work. I haven't brought them a 2nd doctors note so it's not really excused. My pt sup is fine with it because she saw the 1st note and she knows how sick I've been but I'm not sure I'll be better in time to go back.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the policy on this, I really need that vacation pay and nobody seems to have any info. Any help is appreciated.

trickpony1

I would keep the union steward and/or business agent updated on these events.
I just guessing but even if they do fire you, I think they owe you all your unpaid time.
Although it really wouldn't surprise me if some supe thought he could get one past you.

Have you thought about a leave of absence? In our area there is language to that effect. Perhaps medical leave or FMLA might be better than quitting. I would have a talk with the business agent before you quit. And, no, you haven't technically quit until you sign the exit papers.

Dutch Dawg

Vacation and option days are accured benefits. If you currently are entitled to them, they cannot be revoked due to circumstance for leaving. Just the same be sure to inquire as to their status upon exiting.

cambriaromance

Thanks for the info. I hope it's true that they have to give you your vacation pay. There's no way I can go into work and I certainly shouldn't be interviewing for other jobs at this point so I'm kind of counting on that paycheck till I can get better.

As far as not quitting goes I really feel like I need to. I loved this job, I still do and I think I might try to get rehired someday... The problem is I love it a bit to much.. I'm only 21 yrs old and the rest of my life (school, friends, etc even my health) is suffering because UPS is priority one. I'm afraid if I don't walk away now I never will and as much as I love it I'm not quite ready to commit my future to it at this point. This is the one time in my life I'll have to explore other opportunities and go to school etc. It probably sounds stupid but it really is what I need to do.

Thank you for the advice though... I don't think my situation is grounds for medical leave.. I'll be better in a week or so if I can force myself to get the rest I need and I need a longer break from UPS than that.

trickpony1

It sounds like your situation may be stress related.
I know of a FT supe that was off work for a month due to stress but he quit a short time later.
Sorry it didn't work out for you, I wish I had more ideas.

helenofcalifornia

Sounds like you got your stuff together. Make sure they check that box that says you're good to re-hire. (Do they still do that? Do they still do exit interviews?) Good luck with your future!

dammor

Thanks for the info. I hope it's true that they have to give you your vacation pay. There's no way I can go into work and I certainly shouldn't be interviewing for other jobs at this point so I'm kind of counting on that paycheck till I can get better.

As far as not quitting goes I really feel like I need to. I loved this job, I still do and I think I might try to get rehired someday... The problem is I love it a bit to much.. I'm only 21 yrs old and the rest of my life (school, friends, etc even my health) is suffering because UPS is priority one. I'm afraid if I don't walk away now I never will and as much as I love it I'm not quite ready to commit my future to it at this point. This is the one time in my life I'll have to explore other opportunities and go to school etc. It probably sounds stupid but it really is what I need to do.

Thank you for the advice though... I don't think my situation is grounds for medical leave.. I'll be better in a week or so if I can force myself to get the rest I need and I need a longer break from UPS than that.
I don't want to sound mean, but if you can't handle the stress level at UPS when you are 21, I doubt you would be a good pick for rehire down the road.
This job is not for those with weak nervous systems. Many days are good days and many you find yourself completely buried. The ones that last at this job grab the shovel and start digging. Thank goodness for the weekends.

You should get the vacation pay that is due to you. That is only fair. Your decision to go to school is a good one. I hope you find a job that suits you.
Good luck, and get well.

trickpony1

"....if I can force myself to get the rest I need......"

Are you sure your future is a top priority or is going out with the friends and getting snot-slinging drunk several times a week more important?

When I was 21, I couldn't see 5, 10, 15 years down the road. I am now considerably older and those 5, 10, 15 years down the road?.......they are staring me down now.

You didn't mention, or I didn't notice, if you were full-time or part-time. If you're PT then you work a max of 5 hours a day. That leaves 19 minus 8 to sleep. 11 hours a day are left to go to school and take care of things more important than "...what strip joint are we going to tonight?".

"youth is wasted on the young".

See if your contract language mentions a leave of absence. I'm not sure you need a reason but, if asked, tell them "school". Use that time to decide what is important to you.
When people are young they are made of time. When people get old there isn't enough time.

I hope you make wise decisions because, before you know it, you'll be in your 40's or 50's wondering where the friend the time went.

Good luck

BTW, you'll still be able to make friends and go to the bars in your middle years.