quick question by new employee

pkg handler

ok so this has been my first full week at ups working as the pre load from 3 15 - 715 am ..i like it but iam the physical type job guy so it fits right in ..I started at 9.50 /hr. and wanted to know if we get paid for the training / floor experienece and work for the first week ? thanks alot ..because just because its an hour of video on haz mats , oblongs , etc i still worked the floor for a good 2-3 hrs daily ...

Bentley

You are supposed to get paid for the first week of training but i cant remember how many hours you are supposed to get paid for training.
too many years ago.......

pkg handler

thanks ! im doing 315 - 730 each day for the first week and i know for the first 8 wks they take 25.00 out a wk for union dues ..and 30 days for seniority

helenofcalifornia

Wait a minute. So oblongs are videos? When you go to Blockbuster, you pick up "oblongs?" Geez, I gotta start hanging out with my teenage boy more. Never heard that one.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Wait a minute. So oblongs are videos? When you go to Blockbuster, you pick up "oblongs?" Geez, I gotta start hanging out with my teenage boy more. Never heard that one.

Don't worry, deliveries to Blockbuster will be a thing of the past soon. They closed Blockbuster on my route. Just happen to speak with the mgr before they closed for good says NetFlix,Mcdonalds Dollar-a-day rental and On-demand Movies is making company downsize or eliminate stores. Just not enough people renting their movies anymore.

Phil800101

I believe that as a seasonal employee, if you are not rehired (or choose not to be), that you can fill out a form when you leave and request that the union refund all dues and fees you paid during your employment, and they have to do so. At least it works that way in my local. If you're rehired and join the union, however, you can't get them back

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
they still deduct the dues...I started seasonal and they took it from my check...I believe they do the same to the driver helpers...

No, they don't. At least not here....Denver, Colorado.

I believe that as a seasonal employee, if you are not rehired (or choose not to be), that you can fill out a form when you leave and request that the union refund all dues and fees you paid during your employment, and they have to do so.

Ohhh, how I WISH that was the case when I helped at a 705 building a couple years ago. I called the local, spoke to a lady, gave her an address, etc to send the form to and it NEVER showed :mad:. -Rocky

LKLND3380

they still deduct the dues...I started seasonal and they took it from my check...I believe they do the same to the driver helpers...

They don't do that in Florida...

Unless you sign for them to deduct the money they can no take it.

Seasonals
Can not join the union or vote

Once a seasonal is hired they must be rehired in January and then must work 30 days BEFORE they can join the Union...

All the work the Seasonal did between Oct 1 and Dec 31 means nothing in the eyes of UPS or the Union towards seniority, probation, benefits, etc...