Quick question

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I've seen it happen, but it usually takes a few years longer than the hourly route. Like everything else, it depends on where you are.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You would be considered an outside hire and in my region UPS has to promote 6 insiders before they can promote an outsider (6:1 ratio). With the stagnant economy and production push the wait time could be substantial.

(Psst...you can have my job in 9 years.)

namwonS

My HR rep said the only way I can drive is if I go full time driver supervisor. But I've talked to people who said they were PT sup and became drivers which led me to creating this thread because I thought he had been mistaken.

browniehound

Yes....I did it....I work in Mass....it should apply everywhere.

Yes, 6 : 1 ratio DOES apply is MA, but I don't think you understand the "Big Picture" HA HA

In MA they were laying driver offs with a senoirity date of like 2006 or less in the fall of 2009 and the beginning of 2010. This means all these drivesr need to be called back and THEN you have to wait for 6:1 ratio. Sorry buddy but this could take forever, no? I can't remember the last time we had a new driver in my center (2005 or 2006 I think) never mind 6 new drivers? Wow, its going to be awhile unless things change.

I almost forgot, things can change if everyone can submit 1 sales lead per month. It will solve all our volume difficulties and all our lay-offs will be called back to work. I'm not buying it. Are you?

I'm all for growing the business, but customers are stuborn and they are not going to change because I asked for their volume. Maybe if I had a friendly relationship with the desicion maker (this is what UPS is banking on in its idea of a sales lead) I could convince them to switch to UPS, but any account of significance does not have their desicion makers down at the loading dock making $8.50/hour (wait scratch that because its UPS' rate! its more like $12-$15).

We can get the Mom-and-Pop businesses this way but hardly any thing else.

I would stay on the pre-load as an hourly. PT sup. is a dead-end job. Its mostly for pimple-faced college kids looking for a way to pay their tuition expenses.

Isn't it?