Quitting Cigarettes

chris9834

I did awhile back like 3 years ago, sadly im back on them worst mistake ever, 6 months clean not 1 puff on a cigarette. Anyways the route I took was I went to the local drug store and got nicroderm cq dont get store brand versions of it. I started out with step 2 which if you smoke less then then 10 cigarettes then it recommends step 2 10+ step 1 I personally smoked a pack a day and heard from a friend that used to smoke 2 or 3 packs a day that he thought he was going to die on step 1, so he got step 2 and he was successful. I recommend the patches. Also there is 2 parts to a cigarette addiction the chemical addiction, and the physical addiction. So for the physical part I chewed sunflower seeds not going to lie my mouth started getting raw from the salt lol. Even with the patch and sunflower seeds im not going to lie I still wanted to light up bigger then smile* but I kept telling myself I can do this after day 4 which to me was the absolute worst day of the experience it seemed very much down hill afterwards. But to explain day 4 of the withdrawal symptoms I was the most irratable, rudest person you could have deliver you a package I cant tell you how many times I ended up apologizing to people but after explaining what was going on everyone was giving me there best wishes. Truth be told you have to have some will power, and most importantly you have to want to quit whatever the reason maybe write it down and put it somewhere you will see it on a constant basis. Best wishes on journey. Feel free to ask me questions that you may have good luck. If all else go to a e-cig place and get a vape its a initial cost but you will save a ton over a short period of time. $10 gets me by for 2 weeks on eliquid

UPSmechanicinblue

I have quit a few times, I will go about year without then start again, last time about two before I think I have it beat and just takes one time to get me started. I did use the UPS Tobacco Cessation Program once. It is under my health in UPSER's.com It's free and just takes a phone call and they will send you the gum, patches or lozenges but herd the lozenges are discontinued. This was a few years back when I used it. using this stuff to buy is about equal to the cost of smoking. They did send me a few months supply. It takes me 3 weeks when I do quit to start to go most of the day where I could quit thinking having one. Just remember even after 2 years or probably ever you cant be an occasional smoker.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I smoked 3 packs a day back when we could not only smoke in the package car, but even in the building while loading our trucks! When UPS banned smoking I tried to quit, unsuccessfully at first. I later succeeded after, and I'm not joking, about 10 attempts.
I did the patch, the gum, tried extra vitamins, but finally sheer will power carried the day.
I've been smoke free 10+ years.
The best advice I have to give is this; decide WHY you are quitting. If it's important enough to you, you will succeed. There is no shortcut tho. If your will is weak, all the cessation products in the world wrong help. It's all on you to make it happen. Good luck friend!

Grey

You just have to make up your mind and not consider it. If you truly know you'll spark one up eventually there's no point in trying. Sorry to be blunt.

If nicotine withdrawal makes you physically ill I would suggest starting on a Thursday so it doesn't affect an entire week of poor performance on the job.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I went the Chantix route. I have been smoke free for three or four years now. Still want one but nice know if I give in I am back on that crazy train.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Smoking looks like fun in the movies but in real life smells awful.

Quit now and never look back!

bbsam

Staff member
What I found out about three weeks after I quit was that throughout any given day, I only really craved a cigarette maybe 4 or 5 times. I was amazed because when I did quit 14 years ago I had been smoking 2 1/2 packs a day. Getting past those cravings got a lot easier when I realized all the other smoking was just ritualistic time filler.

If I thought I could smoke 4 or 5 a day, I'd do it. That's simply not possible for me.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Quit Sept. '08
All about choices!!
I want one everyday and I choose everyday to not have one.
The feeling of 'wanting' does fade after a few minutes.
There is an unopened pack of cigarettes in my pantry and I choose everyday to leave them there untouched.
Cold Turkey after 48 years and it was easier than I thought it would be.

upsmaninmi

Sounds crazy, but I got hypnotized. Done by a psychiatrist on my route in three separate sessions, haven't smoked since. Insurance even payed for it since it was billed through a psychiatrist. As for those knocking smokers about quitting, how much it costs, etc....You have no idea how hard it is to quit unless you've been a smoker. Nicotine is the most addictive thing out there.

J

jibbs

I will never understand why and how people smoke @ 3-9 AM. Disgusting in my opinion.

...How is 3-9am different from any other time of the day, if that's when a person is up and active?

I understand thinking cigarettes are disgusting. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around how a 3am cigarette is more disgusting than a 3pm cigarette, that's all....