Radios in package cars

brett636

I am an air driver, and for the last several months I have brought with me a small radio I bought at radio shack. Yesterday my supervisor came and told me that I can no longer take a radio with me on route. I told her that it was my understanding that radios were allowed in package cars per the national master agreement. I searched through the prior contract and found the language under Article 18 Section 8, but I thought it would be best to find it in the new contract just to have something recent to reference to. The only place I know of to download the new contract is makeupsdeliver.org and it is just the tentative agreement. In that version is appears sections 7 through 13 seem to be missing under article 18. Does anybody have a more recent version of the new contract, or can tell me where I can find the language about radios being allowed in the package cars? Thanks!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The new contract was on the Teamster website (teamster.org) but I am not sure if it is still there. It was also on UPSers.com. If you can't find it in either of those 2 places try to Google "Teamsters/UPS contract" and see what you find.

Radios are normally OK--IPods and/or headphones are not.

brett636

The version available on teamster.org is the same way. The old language about radios said transistor radios are allowed in package cars, but I am still not seeing it under the new master contract. Perhaps it is in the supplements now?

blacknproud

I am an air driver, and for the last several months I have brought with me a small radio I bought at radio shack. Yesterday my supervisor came and told me that I can no longer take a radio with me on route. I told her that it was my understanding that radios were allowed in package cars per the national master agreement. I searched through the prior contract and found the language under Article 18 Section 8, but I thought it would be best to find it in the new contract just to have something recent to reference to. The only place I know of to download the new contract is makeupsdeliver.org and it is just the tentative agreement. In that version is appears sections 7 through 13 seem to be missing under article 18. Does anybody have a more recent version of the new contract, or can tell me where I can find the language about radios being allowed in the package cars? Thanks!

Skip the union stuff it will take too long and she won't get into trouble....call the corporate line and report her, believe me a much better and faster response....

tourists24

Another "radio in pkg cars" question

I noticed an earlier thread about using radios and thought of something else that might make good info/conversation.

Question for drivers: Do you guys/gals use batteries in your radios or do you "hot wire" them. Ive been a driver for a long time now and have always bought 8 "C" batteries every few weeks to power my radio. I know how to wire it up to the pkg car but have heard it could be a hazard. A lot of our drivers do it and Ive never known of a fire or other problem;but following Murphy's Law I would be the first.

Question 2: What are some of the "unique" ways you secure your radios

over9five

Staff member
Re: Another "radio in pkg cars" question

Buy your mechanic a 6 pack, and let him install a wire for your radio.
Baaaaaad idea to do it yourself!

Cementups

Box Monkey

I don't have to hotwire. The new p7's have battery post under the dash that I can hook up alligator clips to. I have my Sirius boombox hooked up to it everyday and never a problem.

tourists24

I don't have to hotwire. The new p7's have battery post under the dash that I can hook up alligator clips to. I have my Sirius boombox hooked up to it everyday and never a problem.

Wonder if the new 12's have them. That's what I drive.

Cementups

Box Monkey

Some of them do and some don't. A friend of mine just got a brand new P13 and we can't find them. but it is probably a different manufacturer for thos different trucks.

canoworms

I have a sirius also and use a fusable link to a battery terminal in the fuse box. I velcro my antenna to the roof and get perfect reception to "David Johanssons Mansion of Fun" every Friday. Terrestrial radio cannot compete.

finaddict

What OVER9FIVE said...You can be terminated for "hot-wiring" into the vehicles electrical. Don't do it. Ask your mechanic if you may purchase a cigarette lighter type power outlet for HIM to install. Some locations will not permit it others may.

finaddict

Again (I replied to another similiar post) I will back the previous reply. Article 18. Safety and Health. Equipment, accidents and reports Section 8. Radios "Transistor radios will be allowed in package cars." There you have it. If it has wheels and holds packages it is a package car and you may have a radio.

canoworms

Seeing as how we are not under the new contract yet, I would guess that you can still reference Article 18, Sec. 8.
The new contract is in effect and only the changes show up prior to printing the version that will be handed out to the members. Since article 18 section 8 has not been changed, feel free to rock on,my brother. As an asside, tell your supervisor not to harsh your mellow as that might slow you down.

rod

Retired 22 years

Make sure it is wired up to a continusouly hot wire- otherwise every time you shut off the truck the radio goes off. You have to be able to hear them tunes while your outside making a delivery. Don't forget to unplug your radio at night because the first time you have a dead battery because of your "illegal" hookup your :censored2: will be grass:devil3:

over9five

Staff member
Can a boom box be considered a "transistor radio"?

Transistor radio is an archaic term, very popular 50 years ago when transistors replaced vacuum tubes.

satellitedriver

Can a boom box be considered a "transistor radio"?

Transistor radio is an archaic term, very popular 50 years ago when transistors replaced vacuum tubes.
Archaic?
I must be getting old.
I still carry a crystal radio set, with a spare germanium diode.
With proper connections to the pkg car's battery, I can send a wireless telegraph message.
Anyone remember crystal radios?
PAX

under the radar

A Trained Professional

Did you ask the local union? That's one reason we pay dues.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
We were told you could have nothing in the cab that was unsecured like a radio. So I got some small bungee cords and and secured it and no one has said a thing about it since.

rod

Retired 22 years
Archaic?
I must be getting old.
I still carry a crystal radio set, with a spare germanium diode.
With proper connections to the pkg car's battery, I can send a wireless telegraph message.
Anyone remember crystal radios?
PAX
did you check your 0Z4 tube - seems to me every time I had a problem with my 54 chevy radio it was that friggin 0Z4 tube