Radios in package cars

satellitedriver

did you check your 0Z4 tube - seems to me every time I had a problem with my 54 chevy radio it was that friggin 0Z4 tube
Wow,
there are people as old as me out there.
The wait for the tubes to warm up before the radio came on was something I haven't thought of in years( scratch that, read that as decades)
Remember the tube testing stations at the local stores for TV's/radios.
I was doing sound work for a band and an old 100 watt amp blew a tube.
Next door was a Seven Eleven store, they had a test station and the correct replacement tube.
The band played on that night.
PAX
PS,
Thanks for the memories

bad company

semi-pro
Re: Another "radio in pkg cars" question

Most drivers in my center with radios have the alligator clips connected to the battery. They wrap rubber heater hose and electrical tape around the cord to protect it from the elements and cushion it from the impact it receives from being sandwiched underneath the steps.

I am currently trying to explore my best options for a radio and connection setup. My P12 has two cigarette lighter outlets but they are not hot and receive no power through them.

SmithBarney

Just ask your mechanic to install a "cell phone" 12v recepticle...
he might require you to buy one 3.99 at walmart, or he might have them in stock.

I know our new 57's before I left had them installed from the factory they were
flat on the dash and are plugged up, just remove the plug and insert ciggy adaptor.

When we first started getting the Sprinters, they also had cig lighter plugs, but Automotive had to cut the wires on them before they put them into service.

DorkHead

I am an air driver, and for the last several months I have brought with me a small radio I bought at radio shack. Yesterday my supervisor came and told me that I can no longer take a radio with me on route. I told her that it was my understanding that radios were allowed in package cars per the national master agreement. I searched through the prior contract and found the language under Article 18 Section 8, but I thought it would be best to find it in the new contract just to have something recent to reference to. The only place I know of to download the new contract is makeupsdeliver.org and it is just the tentative agreement. In that version is appears sections 7 through 13 seem to be missing under article 18. Does anybody have a more recent version of the new contract, or can tell me where I can find the language about radios being allowed in the package cars? Thanks!

Keep bringing your radio and make sure it is secured. If she persists, file a harassment grievance against her. You will win and that will be in her file her whole career.

over9five

Staff member
"Archaic?
I must be getting old."

I may have exaggerated the 50 year part.....

"Anyone remember crystal radios?"

Had to look that up. Nevermind, Sat, you are old!!!!!

LOL!

mgator39

Wonder if the new 12's have them. That's what I drive.

My new p1000 has them. Just got sirius a couple months ago. Old center mgr said to come in on a saturday and hook it up. Got a new Mgr recently and just feeling him out to see what he will say.

Big Babooba

Archaic?
I must be getting old.
I still carry a crystal radio set, with a spare germanium diode.
With proper connections to the pkg car's battery, I can send a wireless telegraph message.
Anyone remember crystal radios?
PAX
I built a few in my lifetime. I still have one that I helped my daughter build for her science fair. They don't need batteries. just a good antenna and ground.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
"Archaic?
I must be getting old."

LOL!

I had a small crystal set as a kid. I remember clipping the thing to the metal heat register to get better reception. The best thing about them was they required no batteries. It just occurred to me that I'm old...

brett636

"Archaic?
I must be getting old."

LOL!

Lol, I'm 25, and I remember building crystal radios as a kid. I hope that doesn't make me seem older than I really am.

As far as my original question goes I am not really looking to file on her or even call the corporate line just yet. She isn't a bad person, just bordline dumb. I just wanted a good part of the contract to reference to in order to get my point across. When I offered to get a steward to tell her what I just said she let me take my radio so maybe the issue is now dead. If push comes to shove I will persue a grievance, but I highly doubt it will come to that. Thanks everyone for your input!

satellitedriver

Speaking of old......Remember Transistor Sister by Freddie "Boom-Boom" Cannon?? :wink2:
As Moms Mabely said, " He was older than dirt."
I think she was talking about me.

She's my transistor sister
With a radio on her arm
No one can resist her
Cause she's loaded with
A musical charm

It's Presley, Darin, and U.S.Bonds
And it's Fats and Connie and Orbison
Playing her radio

Yeah, now early in
The morning til late at night
She's in tune with the local D.J.s
Sings all the words to the latest hits
Right along with the records they play

Whoa, oh, transistor sister
Log on to kill this message.
Transistor sister
Transistor sister
Playing her radio, whoa, oh

Boy, you've got to love her a lot
The guys just can't resist her
With a fifteen thousand watt

If you got it right you get no static
The time and weather is automatic
My transistor sister, playing her radio

Yeah, now early in
The morning til late at night
She's in tune with the local D.J.s
Sings all the words to the latest hits
Right along with the records they play

Whoa, oh, transistor sister
Transistor sister
Transistor sister
Playing her radio

Whoa, transistor sister
Playing her radio, whoa, oh
Transistor sister
Playing her radio........
freddy.jpg

keith lestrange

hello everyone

ive a dvd player that i hookup and watch it all day....my supervisor looked at it but all he said was just make sure ive no lates !!!!!!!!!
but if i had an accident i was on my own !!!!

but i do enjoy my movies !!!!:happy2:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
hello everyone

ive a dvd player that i hookup and watch it all day....my supervisor looked at it but all he said was just make sure ive no lates !!!!!!!!!
but if i had an accident i was on my own !!!!

but i do enjoy my movies !!!!:happy2:

buddy1,
In Ireland, you can drive and watch movies?????? Maybe I could hook up a DVD player to my backup monitor............