Radios

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Last year our district manager enacted a "Clean cab" policy. There were to be no radios or anything loose in the cabs even though most radios were hard wired. Was that company wide or just pipe dream locally?

I guess my issue with this is watching the RVM vibrate and rattle around with every bump or rough road. The fire extinguisher that is mounted by a small metal strap. And everything else that is "loosely" mounted by UPS that is in the cab.

The reasoning behind this is if the driver was every in wreck then they wanted to reduce the potential projectiles in the cab area.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No one has said anything about mine, but it lays flat on dash, doesnt obstruct view, and is bungied. Non ehere that I know of are allowed to be hardwired. Unless they came with one, and they usually dont.

Last year our district manager enacted a "Clean cab" policy. There were to be no radios or anything loose in the cabs even though most radios were hard wired. Was that company wide or just pipe dream locally?

I guess my issue with this is watching the RVM vibrate and rattle around with every bump or rough road. The fire extinguisher that is mounted by a small metal strap. And everything else that is "loosely" mounted by UPS that is in the cab.

The reasoning behind this is if the driver was every in wreck then they wanted to reduce the potential projectiles in the cab area.

If it`s being done for safety then follow through and point out those other items that need to be secured and be persistent.

Cementups

Box Monkey
As per the Union Contract:

ARTICLE 18

Section 8. Radios

Transistor radios will be allowed in package cars

But be smart and have it secured.

thessalonian13

Mount your radio once you get on your route and put it away before you get in the building. That should keep you under the radar.

I would have no problem with management mandating that the radio must be properly secured. Most of us at our building now build in loops that the seatbelt goes through to secure them in our tractors.

tourists24

correct. but some centers are demanding that no radio in the cab at all. they tried that here for a while. you have to file on it until they do the right thing

rod

Retired 22 years
If UPS can call a truck a package car then I don't see why you can't call your DeWalt megawatt screaming radio a transistor radio.

packagemandan

Funny story behind that, we had a truck with a hard wired radio catch on fire in the center and burned it to the tires and effected two cars beside it. it was a big to do as you can imagine, this is a larger hub and it was inside. Hense no more radios hard wired.

packagemandan

Funny story behind that, we had a truck with a hard wired radio catch on fire in the center and burned it to the tires and effected two cars beside it. it was a big to do as you can imagine, this is a larger hub and it was inside. Hense no more radios hard wired.

Remind your dm that the next time a delivery supervisor rides with you for an S&V ride, he/she is not allowed to have that handy little clipboard. That would be dangerous.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
i

And I think this is were some of this issues came from with the radio. I had a Sirius radio boombox with batteries and it was securely strapped down. Other were hard wired. The real issue is that some of our guys wear there IPODS and other similar devices all day long to entertain themselves. Ear buds obstruct your hearing which is a safety issue. Interesting though that radios are allowed by contract......very interesting.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Maybe with the 2013 contract negotiations you could concentrate on getting the gray areas worked out with the radio issue and just leave the wage thing be.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The contract says transistor radios, not boom boxes.

This is correct Boomboxes are not allowed. Hard wiring into the UPS wiring system is also prohibited by contract. radios must be battery operated. This is all language in our contract and agreed to.

The management can wipe a cab clean of boomboxes should they wish too.

Peace.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The Company could easily install radios in all p/cars if we ask for it in the next contract! Then it would be done right !! Call it a safety issue as we all have to be informed of road conditions or a national emergency !!