Radios

rod

Retired 22 years
The bottom line is USP don't like radios not because they:

1. Are a saftey issue if not strapprd down. (that problem is easily solved)
2. Can cause an electrical fire if not wired right. (that problem can easily be solved also)

3. The main reason UPS don't like radios is because they are terrified that the driver will loiter in his truck waiting for his favorite part of a song or pause to catch the tail-end of some news story. Heaven forbid anything that would add a few seconds to a delivery. To answer the OP's origional question---yes your DM is just blowing smoke out of his rearend---arm yourself with your contract and and carry on.

brett636

Actually, a better question would be: Do any radios have transistors anymore?

Sure they do. Even microchips have tiny transistors in them to make them work. Transistors are just on/off switches and your computer processor has many thousands of them. A modern radio has some transistors in it allowing it to conform to the wording in the contract.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
If I did not misinterpret, the contract also says that UPS will provide all mounting hardware for the radio and antennae if needed. Also power connections. Correct?

I brought it up before shift yesterday. Shop steward said there were to be no radios. I said look at section 18. He read it aloud to several of the guys and then they all realized what the wording of the contract meant. We could have radios.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If I did not misinterpret, the contract also says that UPS will provide all mounting hardware for the radio and antennae if needed. Also power connections. Correct?

I brought it up before shift yesterday. Shop steward said there were to be no radios. I said look at section 18. He read it aloud to several of the guys and then they all realized what the wording of the contract meant. We could have radios.

That is only for the CB radios in feeder equipment. You can have a radio in your package car but the company is not required to provide a power hookup and we are not allowed to try and make one. Bottom line; it has to run on battery power and you have to figure out a way to secure it in the cab where it does not obstruct your vision or your view of the mirrors.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
That is only for the CB radios in feeder equipment. You can have a radio in your package car but the company is not required to provide a power hookup and we are not allowed to try and make one. Bottom line; it has to run on battery power and you have to figure out a way to secure it in the cab where it does not obstruct your vision or your view of the mirrors.

Yes we thought so to but that statement does not fall under the section for the feeders. It was in a section separate. So......why do feeders get radios and not package?

raceanoncr

Yes we thought so to but that statement does not fall under the section for the feeders. It was in a section separate. So......why do feeders get radios and not package?

Please check under Sec. 8 Radios, second paragraph which reads, "The use of Citizens Band (CB) Radios, not to exceed five (5) watts, shall be permitted in all feeder road equipment as follows:

There is now part "a., b., c., d. and e, of which d. says, "All power hookups and antenna brackets shall be provided and installed by the Employer", referring only to feeders.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In my truck, right above where your DVIR holder was, was a good place. My c.crane fit perfectly. Didn't even have to strap it in. That was how that truck was set-up. That radio would go about a month on 6 c- cells. I got the rechargeable ones after a while.