Raise ?

iwrk4ups

Ok, I work 4 ups in Maryland. I am a after seasonal higher. I filled out an application in December of 2006. I was hired in January of 2006. Ok, I already recieved my $.50 cent raise. Which I am currently at $9.00. I heard that you are suppose to get an additional raise in July or August I think about $.10-$.40. Oh yea I am not talking me being their for a full year either. Thanks in advance.

Just Lurking

From Article 22 Section 5 (b) NM (pg 64)

Start - $8.50
Start plus ninety (90) calendar days - $9.00
Seniority plus one (1) years - $9.50
Seniority plus two (2) years - $10.00
Seniority plus three (3) years - $10.50
Seniority plus four (4) years - $11.25

Employees working high volume direct or low volume direct shall receive the preloader/sorter rates.

Preloaders/Sorters make $1.00 more per hour.

pajara2

Hi. I'm going for my "tour" tonight at UPS, so I'm just starting the maybe-going-to-get a job there...So I've been doing some research on these boards. I'm pretty sure I don't want to be a pre-loader because I wouldn't be good at it, no point in doing something you know you're going to stink at. Plus I have to work the 5-9 shift.

But what is meant by "high volume direct" and "low volume direct"? I saw it in the union contract, and again here, but can't find it using a search of the boards.

Thanks,
A

pajara2

I've also found stuff on here about pre-load, but not really about sorting. Can someone tell me the difference?

Paco - Is your response to my "volume direct" question? Is that what that means, that you take a test??????

Thanks,
A

A

Anonymous Brown Clown

Package flow in a UPS HUB, from the unload to the primary sort (here 8 sorting choices), from the primary to either a secondary sort (here 3 secondarys which is a big slide the pakages slide down then have another 8 sorting choices), or the primary direct belts "PD's". Along the primary direct belts are two stations first one "high volume direct" consists of two pick-offs one on each side of the belt, the second "low volume direct" one pick-off. The purpose is to send the pakages down the chutes to correct trailers to be loaded, usually high volume has 4 different destinations where low has 5, plus the missort chute. These are usually premium jobs not just because the pay either, so takes seniority and a opening the get one. Here we have a guy that has been picking off for 27+ years. As for the the extra $1.00 an hour pay, here they refer to the jobs as skilled (needing sort knowledge) and unskilled. Skilled get the extra dollar, jobs such as (primary / secondary sorters, high / low volume pick-offs and irregular drivers / sorters) versus unskilled jobs, (unloaders / loaders).

bear123

Anonymous Brown Clown said:
Package flow in a UPS HUB, from the unload to the primary sort (here 8 sorting choices), from the primary to either a secondary sort (here 3 secondarys which is a big slide the pakages slide down then have another 8 sorting choices), or the primary direct belts "PD's". Along the primary direct belts are two stations first one "high volume direct" consists of two pick-offs one on each side of the belt, the second "low volume direct" one pick-off. The purpose is to send the pakages down the chutes to correct trailers to be loaded, usually high volume has 4 different destinations where low has 5, plus the missort chute. These are usually premium jobs not just because the pay either, so takes seniority and a opening the get one. Here we have a guy that has been picking off for 27+ years. As for the the extra $1.00 an hour pay, here they refer to the jobs as skilled (needing sort knowledge) and unskilled. Skilled get the extra dollar, jobs such as (primary / secondary sorters, high / low volume pick-offs and irregular drivers / sorters) versus unskilled jobs, (unloaders / loaders).

:thumbdownthis is all well and good, except skilled jobs, (except for primary,) are going to be oblsolete very soon, thanks to the p a s system. before, you had to take a test for the box line which made it skilled. Not anymore because the label tells you were to put package. eventually the primary will be set up that way.

brown bear