ralph nader on expectations, the american dream, corporate welfare

Up In Smoke

It was obscene the amount of PPP and SBA dollars that flowed into the businesses that belong to our SBA Association. I believe anyone can search PPP for cities and counties and see every business that received money. I was talking to a realtor who told me 2020 was his biggest year on record and when I looked him up, he had taken 140k in PPP money for business disruption due to the pandemic. To my knowledge, every SBA loan was forgiven also.

Up In Smoke

Fed report finds 75% of $800 billion Paycheck Protection Program didn't reach employees​

St Louis Fed reports $.75 of every dollar shelled out to businesses during the months of March and April 2020 went to businesses and owners that were unaffected by the pandemic. 11.5 million loans were approved and an average of 180k per employee was paid out to those businesses. Free money with no oversight.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

Fed report finds 75% of $800 billion Paycheck Protection Program didn't reach employees​

St Louis Fed reports $.75 of every dollar shelled out to businesses during the months of March and April 2020 went to businesses and owners that were unaffected by the pandemic. 11.5 million loans were approved and an average of 180k per employee was paid out to those businesses. Free money with no oversight.
I’m shocked, shocked!

Up In Smoke

If anyone is interested, you can go to PPP-loan.info, then put in your city and see everyone who took money. It's quite interesting to see the businesses that bellied up for no other reason that it was free.

oldngray

nowhere special
If anyone is interested, you can go to PPP-loan.info, then put in your city and see everyone who took money. It's quite interesting to see the businesses that bellied up for no other reason that it was free.
No oversight so a lot of people jumped at the free money

newfie

there is an insanity with how our government pisses away tax payer dollars.

rickyb

there is an insanity with how our government pisses away tax payer dollars.
it makes perfect sense:

they give it to the rich who fund and own the politicians

the citizens are passive consumers thanks in part to the media, so theres no accountability

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
it makes perfect sense:

they give it to the rich who fund and own the politicians

the citizens are passive consumers thanks in part to the media, so theres no accountability

It's definitely a money laundering scheme, and people generally have a hard time grasping the reality of the situation.

Whither

Scofflaw
What does that have to do with corporations? You're all over the place. As far as immigrants go, millions are entering illegally through our southern border. And are aided by our own Democrat controlled government. Believe it or not we aren't in a position to take in everyone who wants to come here. Especially if they don't have the means to support themselves.
Here's what it has to do with corporations: they can hire desperate workers on the cheap, who are even less likely to complain than your average US citizen bc the threat of deportation hangs over their heads. Who works the fields in California???? Who cooks in the restaurants???? Immigration is not a partisan issue. Both parties are happy to make a spectacle of it, appealing to their respective partisans. And yet look at what actually happens. Biden deports more immigrants than Trump did. Biden carries on building the border wall, despite "promises" otherwise. It's no different than Obama compared to Bush Jr. And yet, the truth is, both parties have strong interests in keeping a ready supply of cheap, vulnerable labor. And then "politicizing" these immigrants however it suits them. They're both deceptive as hell, and you have an ample supply of suckers in America who are ready to believe that desperate people are their enemy, or else, their objects of pity -- "let's thank them for their service because they do the jobs us Americans don't want to do." It's a disgusting soap opera directed by the gov't and its wealthy patrons.

vantexan

Here's what it has to do with corporations: they can hire desperate workers on the cheap, who are even less likely to complain than your average US citizen bc the threat of deportation hangs over their heads. Who works the fields in California???? Who cooks in the restaurants???? Immigration is not a partisan issue. Both parties are happy to make a spectacle of it, appealing to their respective partisans. And yet look at what actually happens. Biden deports more immigrants than Trump did. Biden carries on building the border wall, despite "promises" otherwise. It's no different than Obama compared to Bush Jr. And yet, the truth is, both parties have strong interests in keeping a ready supply of cheap, vulnerable labor. And then "politicizing" these immigrants however it suits them. They're both deceptive as hell, and you have an ample supply of suckers in America who are ready to believe that desperate people are their enemy, or else, their objects of pity -- "let's thank them for their service because they do the jobs us Americans don't want to do." It's a disgusting soap opera directed by the gov't and its wealthy patrons.
Where is Biden continuing to build the wall? And deporting more than Trump did? Seriously? Trump kept them out. But I'll give you that both parties are in on it. Why do you think Trump was railroaded out of town? He was the first president to actually try and stop the flow.

newfie

if your point is true than allowing illegal immigration is not the answer but increasing legal immigration efforts. Those folks will still do those jobs for a lot less. a functional government plans infrastructure to accomadate known immigration. unknown illegal immigration can overwhelm resources in parts of the country.

I do agree though that neither side wants to solve the problem.

rickyb

if your point is true than allowing illegal immigration is not the answer but increasing legal immigration efforts. Those folks will still do those jobs for a lot less. a functional government plans infrastructure to accomadate known immigration. unknown illegal immigration can overwhelm resources in parts of the country.

i dont want workers in my country subject to deportation if they unionize or if their employer doesnt like them

Whither

Scofflaw

I'm mainly interested in sea change. Things seem to be going quite badly across the face of the earth. The reigning institutions cannot resolve the problems they have created.

Whither

Scofflaw
Where is Biden continuing to build the wall? And deporting more than Trump did? Seriously? Trump kept them out. But I'll give you that both parties are in on it. Why do you think Trump was railroaded out of town? He was the first president to actually try and stop the flow.

vantexan

So in your estimation plans to build a wall in a small area is "continuing to build the wall"? And are you not aware over two million illegals have entered the country in the last year and a half? And that the Biden administration has flown and bused many of them around the country, giving them financial assistance?