Rate decrease when going full time?

Hebes007

My husband was hired as a casual driver on 11/2013. He has worked full time ever since and signed paperwork 6/2017 to go full time. Apparently someone working inside the building decided to be a FT driver and bumped my husband. So he signed paperwork again on 8/2018 to be FT. His most recent pay check has his rate at $18.75, down from $22.27. When he asked about it they said that is how it works now but none of the guys he worked with had this happen to them. Being hired as a casual driver instead of a cover driver has been nothing but a mess from day one. Does anyone have any experience with this? We really can’t afford the drop in pay and I’m freaking out a little!

Hebes007

Yikes. Thanks for your answer. We have 3 kids now 3 and under. I did not expect him to make less money when he went full time. It’s going to be tough.

CoffeeStainedUniform

Yikes. Thanks for your answer. We have 3 kids now 3 and under. I did not expect him to make less money when he went full time. It’s going to be tough.
Good news, as soon as a contract is ratified, he'll probably be at $21with backpay to 9/1 (or when he signed the bid)

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The casual driver language is hot garbage and is one of few ways (other than being a very-long-time insider with 10 years in) to take a pay drop.

First, we are working in a post-retroactive contract and your hubby will get a retroactive check at $3.50 in excess for hours worked from August 1 to whenever a new contract gets ratified.
Second, he will likely be working longer hours now, goodie goodie.
Third, after each year are wage increases of about $4 and after 4 FT years he will be at 'top rate' $40/h

We joke that the wife and kids always take the whole paycheck. Do try to save some for retirement / kids college savings. The endless lobster buffet and all the glamping gear can wait.

The casual driver language is hot garbage and is one of few ways (other than being a very-long-time insider with 10 years in) to take a pay drop.

First, we are working in a post-retroactive contract and your hubby will get a retroactive check at $3.50 in excess for hours worked from August 1 to whenever a new contract gets ratified.
Second, he will likely be working longer hours now, goodie goodie.
Third, after each year are wage increases of about $4 and after 4 FT years he will be at 'top rate' $40/h

We joke that the wife and kids always take the whole paycheck. Do try to save some for retirement / kids college savings. The endless lobster buffet and all the glamping gear can wait.
Plus now he will be getting pension credits.

Brisket

My husband was hired as a casual driver on 11/2013. He has worked full time ever since and signed paperwork 6/2017 to go full time. Apparently someone working inside the building decided to be a FT driver and bumped my husband. So he signed paperwork again on 8/2018 to be FT. His most recent pay check has his rate at $18.75, down from $22.27. When he asked about it they said that is how it works now but none of the guys he worked with had this happen to them. Being hired as a casual driver instead of a cover driver has been nothing but a mess from day one. Does anyone have any experience with this? We really can’t afford the drop in pay and I’m freaking out a little!

When was he bumped? Did he complete his 30 days? Sounds like he knows a lot of routes, he shouldn’t have much problem still working 40 hrs ( except for the upcoming slowdown before peak) , then you will only see him in the early am and well after dark.

And sounds like coffee is correct.

Hebes007

He has been working about 50-55 hours a week for the last 5 years. He hasn’t gotten any sick time, paid holidays or vacation so we were looking forward to him going full time. We had no idea about the decrease in pay! There were a few guys hired as casual randomly back in peak 2013. He’s the only one that lasted and it has been a total mess. The other drivers tell him how things work, but it is a whole different set of rules for casuals apparently. I should have seen this coming I guess.

He has been working about 50-55 hours a week for the last 5 years. He hasn’t gotten any sick time, paid holidays or vacation so we were looking forward to him going full time. We had no idea about the decrease in pay! There were a few guys hired as casual randomly back in peak 2013. He’s the only one that lasted and it has been a total mess. The other drivers tell him how things work, but it is a whole different set of rules for casuals apparently. I should have seen this coming I guess.
Basically he was a temporary employee. Now he is a real employee.

CoffeeStainedUniform

Try to rest easy, in 5 years his pay should be double. Your family is much better off. Your husband's done well.

Brisket

Yes it sucks but now you get to have a paid vacation , and option days, and benefits and with little ones, the insurance is pretty good .

Hebes007

When was he bumped? Did he complete his 30 days?
He had worked for 3 1/2 years when he got bumped. Full time hours the entire time. I guess someone inside the building changed their mind at the last second.

Basically he was a temporary employee. Now he is a real employee.

That makes sense. I never really thought of it like that. It just feels like such a kick in the teeth to work so hard for 5 years and then one day get paid less to continue doing the exact same job. He has given everything to the company. He only took off the one day each of our children were born. Back to work the very next day. I guess it didn’t feel like a temporary job to anyone then.

He had worked for 3 1/2 years when he got bumped. Full time hours the entire time. I guess someone inside the building changed their mind at the last second.

That makes sense. I never really thought of it like that. It just feels like such a kick in the teeth to work so hard for 5 years and then one day get paid less to continue doing the exact same job. He has given everything to the company. He only took off the one day each of our children were born. Back to work the very next day. I guess it didn’t feel like a temporary job to anyone then.
Thats unfortunate that that happened but 4 years from now he will be making bank.

Db2400

Welcome to ups

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Sounds like the local union failed to force the company to create a full time job. 5 years is not casual.